Britannia Features 'Multi-Sensory' Menus

CCFC

Found this on my internet travels and thought it was interesting enough to post here!

When P&O Cruises launches its new ship Britannia next March, creativity, quality, flavour and variety, combined with a touch of theatre, will be the principles behind the ship’s impressive culinary offerings, according to the cruise line.

These principles will be evident than in two of the ship’s fine dining venues – Sindhu and Epicurean.

P&O Cruises’ marketing director Christopher Edgington said: “In recent years, our guests’ palates have become increasingly more sophisticated and our culinary offering needs to reflect this change. In Sindhu, guests will enjoy unique and innovative Indian cuisine combining Atul Kochhar’s heritage with his love of British ingredients, while in Epicurean they’ll be treated to a brand new multi-sensory cooking experience with touches of molecular gastronomy that complement the more traditional dishes. Both restaurants demonstrate a passion for cooking and will satisfy the most discerning guest.”

Sindhu

P&O Cruises has always been proud of its long-standing affiliation with India and Sindhu celebrates this in style. Michelin star holder and ‘master of spices’, Atul Kochhar is the creator of Sindhu where he will showcase his unrivalled flair for fine dining using big bold flavours combining his homeland’s spices with quality British and European ingredients. Examples of dishes include:

Starters

· Jal Tarang: Pan-fried hand dived scallops with textures of parsnip

· Karara Kekda: Crisp fried soft shell crab with tomato, cucumber and passion fruit salsa

· Machchi Amritsari: Pan fried cod fillet with Ajwain seeds and crushed spiced peas

· Tandoori Ratan: Rajasthani smoked lamb chop, chicken seekh kebab and basil marinated king prawns

Main Courses

· Konju Kari: Native lobster fricassée with rice pancakes, asparagus and Atul’s signature malabar sauce

· Batak Falliyan: seared gressingham duck breast in Punjabi masala with three bean stew and crispy duck skin

· Khumb Khichidi: Stir fried wild mushrooms with lentils, seasonal truffle and rice kedgeree

· Tandoori Machhi: Taggiasca olive marinated salmon, cumin baked potatoes and white asparagus

· Atul’s Signature Plate: Lamb rogan josh, chicken murgh kesari korma and tandoori salmon macchi

Desserts

· Masaledar Chaklet: Warm five spiced chocolate pudding with tarragon and blood orange sorbet

· Mungfali aur Chaklet: Peanut butter parfait with palm sugar ice cream

· Berry Bhapia Doi: Yoghurt cheese cake with Hibiscus tea jelly and textures of raspberry

In addition to this extensive and varied menu, Sindhu also offers a bar menu featuring Nashta – Indian tapas.

Epicurean

This fine dining restaurant offers an extraordinary experience where a sense of occasion is always on the menu. Fusing classic dining elements with the best of modern British cuisine in a sophisticated and contemporary setting, the emphasis is on grand style and flawless service. Using the finest and freshest produce presented with great skill to achieve maximum flavour, the dishes are simple allowing the ingredients to be the stars of the show. The menu features a selection of classic and contemporary dishes including:

Starters

· Chicken and morel mushroom mousseline with pistachio crumble: duck liver parfait, sweet and sour pickled vegetables and spinach anglaise

· Devonshire white crab, langoustine and caviar cocktail: pea and chervil custard, parchment bread and a cucumber Mojito

· Salt and pepper oyster and jumbo prawn tempura: horseradish ice cream, umami seaweed dip and a sweet pimento squeeze

· Buttered green and white asparagus: crisp deep fried egg and textures of bacon, ham and pancetta

Main Courses

· Salt Marsh lamb rack with slow cooked glazed lamb breast and mini crafted shepherd’s pie: samphire shoots, butternut squash purée and a rosemary and mint jelly

· Butter poached lobster tail and glazed pavé of boneless beef short rib: sour cream crushed new potatoes and a melting cheese lollipop

· Loin of wild boar with a smoked pork cheek croquette and Lancashire black pudding: beetroot and blackberry cabbage, vanilla charred pear and boulangère potatoes

· Herb roasted poulet de Bresse: chicken pastilla, vegetable dauphinoise, baby leeks, morel velouté and chorizo Foam

Desserts

· Black Forest popping candy torte: Dorset cherry ice cream and a shot of New York cream soda

· Caramelised apple crumble: flaming apple and sherry sorbet and a rhubarb and custard cream

· Lime leaf pannacotta and coconut butter milk foam: caramelised puff pastry and Alphonso mango relish

· Glazed banana with a Caribbean demerara rum tot: peanut butter parfait and aerated dark chocolate

Sounds great to me :)

And what I wonder will be the charges for all that! Just goes against the grain to me to spend £50 extra on a meal especially when at our age, I can't do it justice and only want one or two courses at most.

Edited by jeanlyon

Good job we are all different sounds fantastic and cannot wait to eat in Epicurean to celebrate my birthday on Maiden cruise.

I have to say I agree with that except for the cruise ours are much later than that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am sure that is not the full menu just a taster and sure there will be vegetarian options available.

Fine, but if they want to invite Vegetarian cruisers (10% of the population) then why not publish Vegetarian options? We ate at Marco Pierre Whites White Room and despite having to pay the same cover charge as meat eaters the vegetarian options were pitiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a very ambitious menu and some dishes seem to have a huge amount of flavours in them - which can be over-powering if not done well.

Whoever uses it will have to hope for calm seas - there will be a lot of movement there being very forward on deck 15!

Fine, but if they want to invite Vegetarian cruisers (10% of the population) then why not publish Vegetarian options?

Probably P&O believe it's less than 10% vegetarian (maybe they went off the Vegetarian Society's factsheet that says 3%) and therefore they can put up with more restricted menus along with nut allergy sufferers, coeliac sufferers, lactose intolerant people, and other minority diners. It's not really practical to have so many different extensive menus, so the people with restricted diets miss out.

Good job we are all different sounds fantastic and cannot wait to eat in Epicurean to celebrate my birthday on Maiden cruise.

Absolutely agree. The other half had already said that we should go to Sindhu to celebrate my birthday on the maiden voyage but when we saw this on t'internet yesterday he thought that we should give Epicurian a go because it sounded so good. This must be the first time since I was a child that I have been so eagerly looking forward to being a year older.

Although I am unlikley to go on Britannia as I think it will be a bit too big for me, I do think this sounds great.

One of the treats of cruising is to try the speciality restaurants - MDR is fine for day to day but its lovely to have a few special nights

Can't wait to try Epicurean. The menu sounds fantastic. It's very Heston Blumenthal. I bet that the chef designing that menu is one of his protégées. The Fat Duck at Bray (Blumenthal's original restaurant) is a fabulous experience, and if this is only half as good it will still be worth the supplement several times over.

We found Sindhu on Azura to be dissapointing, so hope that it's better on Britannia.

Shame there's no promenade deck on Britannia as I need somewhere to walk off all those lovely meals!

Have to say that the food is not the biggest thing about cruising for me. It's the whole feeling of being on the ship, hearing the sea, drinks in the bar around 7.30, getting into port, lovely open decks. I enjoy the Club dining, but can never do more than two courses, so it's fairly unimportant.

Fine, but if they want to invite Vegetarian cruisers (10% of the population) then why not publish Vegetarian options? We ate at Marco Pierre Whites White Room and despite having to pay the same cover charge as meat eaters the vegetarian options were pitiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I, both vegetarians, have never bothered with the MPW places, looking at the menus was enough to decide.

However, last January, Ventura, Caribbean, East was good as was the food and wine pairing dinner in the Glass House with a vegetarian option with wines paired to that option.

That said we don't go cruising for the food, we don't eat much, so if we can get some veg, fruit, a bit of carbs and protein, we're happy.

None is organic though and our home diet is virtually 100% organic.

Can't wait to try the food, hopefully on both menus when we sail on Britannia next June to the Fjords!

We are both foodies and generally have found cruise food to be actually really good wherever we have cruised so find this something to look forward to and yes my mouth watered at trying some of this food!:)

Thanks for posting the sample menus.

Fantastic menus. We are on for 4 weeks so we'll no doubt try both of them at least twice. Hopefully nobody will ask what we had for our dinner.

My wife and I never miss a course. One of the main aspects of cruising is the dining experience. Delighted I'm not a vegetarian. :)

DGS - you must be young then?!! I couldn't possibly get through all the courses. Even if I could eat it, I would feel absolutely stuffed and uncomfortable. Guess that's why I come home 2 pounds lighter!

Jean, sadly not young. We dance it off. We go easy on breakfast and lunch but do enjoy our dinner. We normally put a few pounds but not too much.

Ha ha, I love all the fresh fruit with yoghurt at breakfast, plus a smoothie. Lunch is an enormous salad. I do have a piece of cake with tea and then I love anything fishy for starter and main. Except Mullet and trout ! YUK

I grudgingly manage the salad but fish .... just love it.

David

I do enjoy the food on a cruise but I am not a fan of multiple alternative restaurants on ships. I understand why that is appealing to others but for me it just spoils the ambience on the ship as it often leads to the mdr being sparsely populated in the evening.