The price of Veuve Cliquot champagne

fantasy51

I will be travelling on the QM2 in December. I have a friend who loves Veuve Cliquot and I thought of getting him a bottle for Christmas. I can buy it here in Tescos but I thought it would be so much more fun to buy it on board ship. I wondered if there is a price difference.

Is it available in the duty free shop onboard? If so, what does it cost? It's about £34 here in the UK.

I would appreciate any information.

You can buy one at the bar to take home for the price above plus service charge. I have no experience of duty free shopping.

Tesco has it on special offer now and again but it's a matter of keeping your eye out for these offers. I have bought a bottle for less than £30 on occasion.

M-AR

I don't know anything about Tesco. Is there some sort of sigma associated with that store? I'm not sure that purchasing a bottle of champagne on board at inflated prices and then lugging it home would make me appreciate the gift any more than if it was purchased in a local wine shop. Less bruising for the grape, less bruising for the giver. -Just my opinion. - S

Edited by Salacia

It's on sale in Sydney for $57 at the moment (normal price is $65, but department stores in the city centre always sell at a higher price of around $85).

I'm not a huge fan of Veuve. Not sure I'd agree with it being "the finest" - it's so ubiquitous these days. Much prefer Dom, although that is a vintage champagne. Interestingly, Dom is cheaper on Cunard ships than at home - usually by around $60. I've yet to work out how that happens - Veuve is more on board but Dom is cheaper. Not that I'm complaining!

A friend of mine swears by Salon. At $500 a bottle I'm assuming it is good. Not seen that on any cruise ship though.

Looking in the fancy locked cabinet tonight as I shopped for alcohol, I came across some really nice bottles. But at $2,500 + I don't think so. If I win a few million dollars in tomorrow's lottery I might be persuaded to buy the $6,500 The John Walker whiskey I've had my eye on :)

Fortunately, Cunard stocks good whiskey. I'm a happy man in the Commodore Club - the perfect place for an after show spirit as the ship plots through the ocean waves.

Thank you so much for your answers.

Salacia, personally I would have no problems with buying it at Tescos. However, as it's a gift I thought I'd take into account the inclination of my friend. I know he likes luxury, and buying it on a cruise ship just adds that little touch.

Additionally, as Yoshokitty pointed out, I wondered if I could actually buy it more cheaply on the ship if it is in the duty free shop.

Pmb1, thank you so much for the photograph!

I will be travelling on the QM2 in December. I have a friend who loves Veuve Cliquot and I thought of getting him a bottle for Christmas. I can buy it here in Tescos but I thought it would be so much more fun to buy it on board ship. I wondered if there is a price difference.

Is it available in the duty free shop onboard? If so, what does it cost? It's about £34 here in the UK.

Just one hint, the duty free shop usually offers an extra 15% discount on the last day prior to arriving in Southampton/New York on Transatlantic Crossings.

So it may be advisable to wait.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Thank you so much for your answers.

Salacia, personally I would have no problems with buying it at Tescos. However, as it's a gift I thought I'd take into account the inclination of my friend. I know he likes luxury, and buying it on a cruise ship just adds that little touch.

Additionally, as Yoshokitty pointed out, I wondered if I could actually buy it more cheaply on the ship if it is in the duty free shop.

Pmb1, thank you so much for the photograph!

I obviously have the same inclination.....😊

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Fantasy51,

We were at the Veuve Cliquot champagne house a couple of months ago and we paid £40 for a bottle so I don't think $80 is too bad a price.

I would also prefer to buy it on board so it would be a bit more special than buying it in a supermarket.

Susan

As its a present I would buy it on board.....the providence of saying you bought it for them on your Cunard voyage far out ways Tesco's...:--)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Provenance"...Silly spellchecker...

Sent from my iPad

We were on the QE recently and the Duty Free shop on-board did not sell any champagne. We asked about it but were told that it was only possible to either purchase a bottle at a bar or through your sommelier. Unfortunately this does of course mean another 15% "tip" will be added to the price. Thus the standard non vintage actually will cost $92 not the $80 shown in the price list.

We did buy some as we needed to use up some on-board credit that we had left on the last evening of our cruise.

If we had to pay instead of using on-board credit, then we would not buy it as other than the receipt, there is nothing to say that you bought it on-board and so very little kudos!