Norovirus - not just a cruise ship problem

matmar

Norovirus - not just a cruise ship problem. See the attached story about a breakout at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22107468-952,00.html

Yes, but one of the news services was quick to remind viewers of the outbreak on Pacific Sun last year (while showing footage of Pacific Star at Portside).

It still surprises me the number of people who do not wash their hands after they have been to the toilet! Don't forget to wash your hands for 20 seconds. Singing "Happy Birthday" while washing your hands is about the right time.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

My brother has it at his work. He says it is only a matter of time before his ward gets it.

His ward has had it in the past, and just hope that it doesn't. It was so hard having him 'seperated' from the rest of us. I wash my hands with anti-bacterial gel after washing my hands just to be safe.

On my Diamond Princess cruise last year, they had a staff member at the entrance to the buffets with the gel. If you didn't gel your hands, you didn't get in to the food areas. Where as on the Voyager, it was at the entrances, but wasn't compulsory. It was a good habit to get into.

On my Diamond Princess cruise last year, they had a staff member at the entrance to the buffets with the gel. If you didn't gel your hands, you didn't get in to the food areas. Where as on the Voyager, it was at the entrances, but wasn't compulsory. It was a good habit to get into.

On our Pacific Sky cruise in 2004 they were doing that, and to a lesser degree on our Pacific Sun cruise in 2005, but by on Pacific Star they weren't doing it, which suprised me a lot.

It still surprises me the number of people who do not wash their hands after they have been to the toilet! Don't forget to wash your hands for 20 seconds. Singing "Happy Birthday" while washing your hands is about the right time.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Great hint Charmain, but do you get any strange looks when singing happy birthday in public toilets ? And agree, I feel like tapping some people on the shoulder as they leave the loos without washing their hands. Esp if they are wearing a uniform for a food service outlet in a shopping centre. YUCK !

On my Diamond Princess cruise last year, they had a staff member at the entrance to the buffets with the gel. If you didn't gel your hands, you didn't get in to the food areas.

On our Pacific Sky cruise in 2004 they were doing that, and to a lesser degree on our Pacific Sun cruise in 2005, but by on Pacific Star they weren't doing it, which suprised me a lot.

They did that on the Star in december but not on the first one in March. Same at the buffet as well. There would usually be a few containers of the gel stuff placed around the ship as well.

When we were on the Star in January/February this year, everyone had to be 'squirted' before entering the dining room or the buffet for any meal and when coming back on-board after visiting a port.

I also have a handbag size bottle of the gel with me most of the time as well (Yep paranoia is my middle name!!):)

Great hint Charmain, but do you get any strange looks when singing happy birthday in public toilets ? And agree, I feel like tapping some people on the shoulder as they leave the loos without washing their hands. Esp if they are wearing a uniform for a food service outlet in a shopping centre. YUCK !

Only when I wear Mum's silly Happy Birthday hat!!

Cheers,

Charmain

This is a huge problem everywhere! I am a nurse and without naming the hospital the Noravirus is raging! I worked with so many people and wards with it! I prayed I wouldnt get or bring anything home to my family. It makes it hard for nurses thats for sure as we have to work in it. Not nice for the patients either. I carry antibacterial handwash with me all the time and the kids do as well and use it (no need for water) we use it all the time. Never know when you will pick up a germ!

my mother is in a nursing home in brisbane and has just got back from a

week in hospital with that nasty virus. apparantly it is rampant, they had 3 wards full, i won't name the hospital. even the nursing home is denying it. when we were on our cruise in the med last year, we wouldn't even dream of entering the buffet or dining room without using the sanitisers, same as getting back on the ship. we had heard of what could happen and were quite paranoid about getting sick

I must cut in here as I also work in AGED CARE and yes this is a real problem at present. The hand wash (anti bac) is good but good hand washing is the best way,and chaz so glad you remenbered happy birthday wish my nurses would.

This virus is also air bourne and this is why if any one in your family get it they should stay inside and not mix for 24hrs after last vomit or poo (good nursing talk)

So if you are on a cruise and end up with the virus listen to them and stay in your room, if you get it at home stay home this the only way to stop it getting worse, and becoming a outbreak.

The reason that nursing homes get it bad when they do it is brought by visiters and due to thier frail health.

Leson over for today:D

Archived