Celebrity CruiseTours - Anyone Back??

Djaye

I am scheduled on a Celebrity cruisetour in August. Our itinerary for the land portion is Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage-Seward. I was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary yet and could give me some input on the land portion of this trip. The details we have at the moment are sketchy - no exact times for arrivals and departures in each place, so I can't plan any side trips at the moment. Did you get a detailed itinerary when your docs arrived - or not until you actually got there and started the tour. Any information would be helpful. I feel like I have a good handle on the cruise portion of the trip, but not the land part.

Might try that next time. We are traveling with another couple who lives in another state and it is just easier to go with a package than to try to make plans for every little aspect of the land portion - get their input/approval, etc. Our final payment is due in about a week and to try to get cars, hotels, and all the other details ironed out now - I just can't manage with working full time. We like the idea of someone else getting us from point A to point B on this first adventure in Alaska.

What is the biggest advantage of doing it on our own?

Budget Queen is the best one to answer that! I am planning our first Alaskan cruise for next summer, followed by ~ a week in Alaska afterwards. I'd say the main advantages of making your own plans are control and price, not to mention flexibility. Some people can't be bothered by the details, whereas I like to know every litle detail.

Might try that next time. We are traveling with another couple who lives in another state and it is just easier to go with a package than to try to make plans for every little aspect of the land portion - get their input/approval, etc. Our final payment is due in about a week and to try to get cars, hotels, and all the other details ironed out now - I just can't manage with working full time. We like the idea of someone else getting us from point A to point B on this first adventure in Alaska.

What is the biggest advantage of doing it on our own?

Just be aware that portions of the cruisetours are bus trips. And you will ALWAYS have dwaddlers. Someone inconsiderate enough to hold up the ENTIRE bus. And the cruisetour hotels are in some pretty out of the way places-McKinley Princess and Kenai Princess are two examples. You are a captive audience at those places. You will have to eat there and depend on Princess for excursions.

Has happened to me EVERY time. Most irritating-China, Netherlands, Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. We missed half the Arizona tour because we could not find 6 people in Hawaii. When they finally showed up (40 minutes late), we missed our time slot for another part of the tour and were "dumped" at the swap meet. I refuse to book any kind of bus tour anymore. I don't CARE if it costs more to book something else. Or that I have to take the time to research and book it myself. I will no longer be dependent on RUDE people who go do their own thing and leave the rest of us sitting on a bus, waiting on them. Just an FYI on what could possibly happen.

If you post your itinerary and mode of travel, I can give you an idea about times.

I just arranged a coworkers trip independent for mid June, 18 days booked 2 weeks ago. :) The advantages are your own touring priorities and much more for your money.

With your situation, I'm sure your choice is the best for you. Have a great trip!!

Just be aware that portions of the cruisetours are bus trips. And you will ALWAYS have dwaddlers. Someone inconsiderate enough to hold up the ENTIRE bus. And the cruisetour hotels are in some pretty out of the way places-McKinley Princess and Kenai Princess are two examples. You are a captive audience at those places. You will have to eat there and depend on Princess for excursions.

Has happened to me EVERY time. Most irritating-China, Netherlands, Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. We missed half the Arizona tour because we could not find 6 people in Hawaii. When they finally showed up (40 minutes late), we missed our time slot for another part of the tour and were "dumped" at the swap meet. I refuse to book any kind of bus tour anymore. I don't CARE if it costs more to book something else. Or that I have to take the time to research and book it myself. I will no longer be dependent on RUDE people who go do their own thing and leave the rest of us sitting on a bus, waiting on them. Just an FYI on what could possibly happen.

Since Djaya is on a Celebrity cruisetour, she won't have to worry about being in a far away Princess lodge. Actully last year we did a Celebrity cruise tour and the only portion of the cruisetour on the motorcoach was from Seward to Girdwood; then Girdwood to Anchorage. The rest was on the Wilderness Express, Dome train cars. We chose this tour - (#13)because of this fact. We did three different segments on the train and loved every minute of it!

With that said: Djaya, if you would like to specify what tour you'll be on, I will be able to give you specific information as to arrival times.

Sharon

We are on Tour #6 - only one segment by train, I'm afraid. My TA tells me we will get some more detail with final docs, but it might not know the exact itinerary times until we get there and hook up with our tour host. That doesn't help! I know that we are at Sophie Station in Fairbanks (I booked one night early, independently there), McKinley Village Lodge in Denali (I think) and Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge in Talkeetna (looks wonderful).

We booked our air independently - flying into Fairbanks and back from Vancouver. I plan to use US Direct when disembarking - we have a tight flight (noon).

Any info will be greatly appreciated. What we have so far is very general, i.e, morning, afternoon, etc. - not specific times.

Had I discovered CruiseCritic earlier in the planning process, I might have considered doing the land portion on our own. I love planning vacations and usually spend vast amounts of time planning our one, big yearly vacation. I never really thought of doing it for Alaska, but will certainly consider it for next time - and after reading what everyone has to say - I'm certain there will be a next time!

I should probably have included this info:

• Arrive Fairbanks & check in
  • Tour Fairbanks by Motorcoach
  • Train from Fairbanks to Denali - 7 hr. Tundra Wilderness Tour
  • Motorcoach Denali to Talkeetna
  • Motorcoach Talkeetna to Anchorage and on to Seward for boarding Summit

I should probably have included this info:

• Arrive Fairbanks & check in
  • Tour Fairbanks by Motorcoach
  • Train from Fairbanks to Denali - 7 hr. Tundra Wilderness Tour
  • Motorcoach Denali to Talkeetna
  • Motorcoach Talkeetna to Anchorage and on to Seward for boarding Summit

Your train leaves Fairbanks around 8am, arrives in Denali park around noon. It is a 3 1/2 hour bus ride, Denali Park to Talkeetna. You are staying right near town- and the lodge shuttles- too far to walk. Bus Talkeetna to Anchroage is 2 hours without stops, and Anchorage to Seward 3 hours- sit on the right side for Arm views. As only a suggestion- you may want to consider going on your own to Seward via the Alaska RR, leaves early am, but gets you into Seward in time for some great touring opportunities. The problem with the cruise tour bus it really doesn't give you enough time anywhere including Anchorage, since you are involved in waiting and loading etc.

My top pick for Seward is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, the train gets you there in time for an 11:30am trip, shuttles pick up at the depot, store your bags then shuttle you to your ship. This tour is superior to anything you will see from your ship in varied wildlife and glacier viewing. Just can not say enough how great these trips are. So just an easy suggestion to consider if of interest.

Archived