Changes to show times

groovechick

I have heard via a friend who frequents another forum that P&O have announced they would be changing the times of the main shows and that this seems to be causing some consternation.

Does anyone have any info about this, and is the change fleet-wide or only on some ships, say adult-only?

For the first time we are Freedom dining this year, so it may not affect us that much, but would be interested to know the rationale (if any?) behind it.

Apparently it is a trial on Ventura at present, no other ships (hopefully) and is only for the theatre. I personally think the times are about right, early diners can go to the first show without rushing and the same for the late diners. They seem to think people won't mind seeing a show before dinner, but I personally like to have dinner first.

On Ventura it would not be so bad as there are other entertainment venues open late so I suppose they want the extra revenue there in drinks.

Just back from Britannia and the Headliner shows were 7pm 8.30pm and 10.30pm which worked very well as the early show was never too busy and "mopped up" some of the 8.30 people. This was the very busy show time and people who arrived a few minutes before the start could not get seats together, however it was not as bad as we had anticipated having read reviews before departure. The other onboard "acts" were usually 8.30 and 10.30 with an occasional late adult show where appropriate.

We have been on, I think it was Azura, when they put in an extra show at 7.30 so there were three showings during the evening. We are always 2nd Sitting diners and we occasionally went to the 7.30 show if there was something else we wanted to do after dinner. I really wouldn't like having to go at 7.30 as a routine. One of the reasons we choose to be on second sitting is that after a day ashore we like time to relax before changing for dinner and then going for a pre-dinner drink. I'm not sure that if the shows were only at 7.30 for second sitting people that we would bother to go unless it was something we really wanted to see.

They have the pre dinner shows on a number of lines and personally I really enjoy having that option.

If the provision of 3 shows dilutes the rush and crush you sometimes get in the theatre, then all the better. :)

Has there been any formal notification of the trial or any proposed changes?

There's been a lot of complaints from some very unhappy people on that other unmentionable site. It seems those on Ventura hadn't been notified about the changes. We choose to eat late because we like to relax after our day ashore so it really wouldn't suit us at all to have to go to a show before dinner. It also seems the second show would be taking place when we're eating so we couldn't go to either.

Thank you mandylennon. We are on Aurora this summer so unless the trial has been expanded it seems it will not affect us. Previously we have always been first sitting because of the children and I sometimes found it rather a rush after a day ashore to get ready for dinner and then another rush to finish dinner and get to an 8.30 show. Now they are older, don't have a "bedtime" (and can wait a little longer for their dinner :evilsmile:)we've decided to try Freedom dining.

I'm getting a touch of deja vu with this thread.

Has there been a trial like this before? I may be remembering changes on another line but scratching at the back of my mind, this seems familiar territory from a good number of years ago.

Anyone remember that or am I just thinking of anoyjer cruise line?

I'm getting a touch of deja vu with this thread.

Has there been a trial like this before? I may be remembering changes on another line but scratching at the back of my mind, this seems familiar territory from a good number of years ago.

Anyone remember that or am I just thinking of anoyjer cruise line?

Over time P&O have had three show times as mentioned above. It may well have been on Ventura 6/7/8 years ago. It seemed like a good idea not sure about the cast. Not seen or heard about any trial of doing away with the 10.30 show. If indeed that is what is being talked about as that is not clear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from Azura and the main theatre shows were 7:30 & 9:00, which presumably means 2nd sitting need to go to the first one.

That's no good that's drinking time. Oooppps forgot I don't go to the show.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from Azura and the main theatre shows were 7:30 & 9:00, which presumably means 2nd sitting need to go to the first one.

If that becomes standard practice across the fleet will be one of the many good reasons not to cruise with P&O. We always liked the 1030 show when on first sitting and when on freedom we enjoyed the flexibility of 7-30 then a show or the 1030 show after dinner.

I think that the 2nd Sitting people will miss out a bit because of this. If they want to see the show they will have to go at 7:30 which is pre-dinner drinks time. After Dinner the other entertainment venues will be full of the 1st Sittings and Freedoms already out from the 9:00 show.

I actually like the idea of the 3 shows (which I'm hoping we'll get on Britannia next month) because we do freedom dining and I don't mind going to a show some days then going for dinner and not rushing my dinner! Unless of course there's some entertainment I really want to see later... it's all go some evenings!

I actually like the idea of the 3 shows (which I'm hoping we'll get on Britannia next month) because we do freedom dining and I don't mind going to a show some days then going for dinner and not rushing my dinner! Unless of course there's some entertainment I really want to see later... it's all go some evenings!

When I was on Britannia last June we had three shows a night( except when show was external performers). We had 19:00, 20:30 and 22:30. The 20:30 shows was always extremely busy, we tended to arrive about half hour or so early.

Edited by chris11256

They may need to offer 3 shows when the ships are full as the number of people onboard divided into 2 sessions x the seats available doesn't fit, (that's assuming everyone onboard wanted to see a particular show which will it always be the case).

Britania is a case in point

3647 passengers when full

980 seats in the theatre x 2 sessions

Equals Massive gap in capacity

The singers and dancers already work extremely hard, and I think it would be asking an awful lot to require them to do three shows a night rather than two.

I agree totally.P&O usually have good entertainment in their other lounges.

When I was on Britannia last June we had three shows a night( except when show was external performers). We had 19:00, 20:30 and 22:30. The 20:30 shows was always extremely busy, we tended to arrive about half hour or so early.

Thanks for that. Yes the 8.30 shows are normally very busy which is why I wouldn't mind the first show then dinner as we had to be ready to eat for 6.30 in order to get seats in the 8.30 show!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The singers and dancers already work extremely hard, and I think it would be asking an awful lot to require them to do three shows a night rather than two.

I can't remember if it was Azura in 2012 or Ventura in 2013 but they did 3 shows on that cruise. Haven't had it since!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had three shows on Britannia too.

It suited us well as the entertainment was very good in our opinion and we wanted to see a few acts per evening. It took some working out to fit everything in. We even had to eat in the buffet some nights.

Yes they do work hard and put on a good show however in terms of time three 45 minute shows would be no more than someone doing a full length west end musical?

Cats for example is about 2 hours 20 and Les Mis 2 hours 40 with just one break for intermission.

They will have a good idea of passenger flows and which shows are popular and need 3 shows and those where 2 would do.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have been on ships recently what were the show times.

Are they sticking with the more traditional after dinner times or as the changes to a pre dinner show for late diners still in place on any ships?