What Weeks are Likely to be Spring Break 2017?

ronandannette

Weeks??? Lol! "Spring Break" starts in March and runs through May...then summer takes over! Since our school schedules are LOCAL, and not national, school holidays vary within each state, so any given week will have it's share of folks on "break".

Really, don't let it worry you. The ships sail FULL every sailing, so there will be no more passengers in the spring than in the fall!

Yes...there will be FAMILIES with kids...but they keep the kids busy! You won't have tons of "frat party" young adults, since RCI has age limits to sail alone! A longer cruise will always have fewer "partiers" than 3-4 nighters, no matter what time of year!

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks. I'll suggest they look for something in the first 3 weeks of March or early May. I understand that (usually) the number of kids is a non-issue, especially if you're not travelling with your own, but it's not my decision to make. Friend had originally asked for an "adults-only" ship, which he didn't realize is not a "thing" outside possibly the premium lines, which would not be in their budget or necessarily suit their style anyway.

Edited by ronandannette

I know in Texas they start spring break early March. All schools in my area are on spring break the last 2 weeks in March. If he wants the least amount of kids as possible, I personally wouldn't book anything after the end of Feb and before the beginning of May.

I would say any time between March 1 and April 23 could be Spring Break time for any school. The entire month of March is usually pretty busy for my hotel for family "pack" travel (we'll get multiple families traveling together - a nightmare!). I'd steer clear of April until the end of the week following Easter. I remember the Catholic schools where I grew up would take the week after Easter as their Spring Break and the public schools would do the week before Easter - made for a 2 week SB in the area!

In the US spring break for colleges begins the first full week of March, and goes for about 3 weeks. K-12 schools are usually the week before and the week after Easter, though the cruise lines consider everything from the first full week of March through the week after Easter to be spring break.

The weeks to avoid are the two weeks around Easter.

Presidents Day wk in Feb is also a popular spring break week for those on the West Coast. Several yrs back we booked a Holland America cruise out of San Diego based on a last minute deal. We don't have kids but spring break in Feb never crossed my mind and certainly not on Holland! Imagine our surprise when the ship was more than 50% kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are a bunch of websotes that list spring breaks for almost every college out there.

Here is an example of one -

http://www.cvspringbreak.com/when-is-spring-break/

Also check the counties/state school calendars for secondary schools near the port which you are leaving from.

For example - if leaving out of Port Canaveral you would check spring break for FL schools.

-Sean

Presidents Day wk in Feb is also a popular spring break week for those on the West Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's true on the East Coast too. Many New England (and other states) public schools have winter break that week. Hotel rooms over President's Day weekend in Fort Lauderdale are even more expensive than other February weekends for that very reason.

Edited by capriccio

We had this issue a few years ago. I googled something like school break weeks and got a ver long list. As I recall the many breaks went on for about eight weeks,

So we booked a Carnival cruise from San Diego because it departed mid week and it was eight days. We thought the departure day and length of cruise might not appeal to the spring breakers. It was one of our favorite cruises. No spring break antics or noisy parties whatsoever.

Edited by iancal