Can you bring case of water, and bottle of wine

Dear Fam6,

When we last sailed on the Carnival Glory we took two bottles of wine. We consumed them in our room. We actually put a bottle in the ice bucket the morning we went into Belize and forgot to ice it down. When we returned later in the day our wonderful steward had iced it for us. I believe all the lines have various regulations concerning this. Carnival does allow a couple of bottles to be brought on board. We did not bring H2O however I saw several families bringing cases ( 1 or 2) with no trouble at all. Enjoy your trip.

Hi,

We brought a case of water on our first cruise with Celebrity and it was the last time. My husband didn't appreciate lugging it from the curb in San Juan to the check in. Quite a long haul! Besides, they give you water in the stateroom daily, and it is drinkable. Never again will we pack bottled water! However, we always bring two large plastic mugs and refill it with cold, fresh water when we work out in the gym.

Karen and Doug

You didn't specify a cruise line. On Carnival, you can bring on a couple of bottles of wine, a reasonable amount of soft drinks, and water. However, the water is just fine, so I don't know that I'd lug all that on board. All this is allowed, so no need to smuggle. Liquor is another matter.;)

What about on RCCL. We are going to be going on the new Freedom next July and while I have never takena nything onboard with me I think I would like to this time. For a short cruise it is too much trouble but for the 7 day cruises I think it will save some money. All I would take is some wine or Liquer. Would that me ok? Do I have to hide it to take it? How will it work with taking this on the plane/jet?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I am glad to hear you can bring bottled water on board. I drink about 4 to 5 bottles a day. I figured it out 5 bottles x 9 days at $2 (atleast) per bottle would add up to about $90 Just for water!:eek: So thanks for the tip. I know my DH will just love carrying it on the ship for me but it will be something to laugh about later!

The water on the ship is pure. Bring two bottles and refill them at the buffet lines or even in your bathroom, instead of bringing a whole case on board with you.

Nitemare is correct, the water on board is made on the ship and is probably purer and better than that which you can buy. Bring a couple of bottles and fill them.

If you still want to take all that water with you - Although you can take the water in your carry-ons - Your poor hubby doesn't have to lug them onto the ship himself. Just pack all those bottles of water in an extra piece of luggage and have it checked with the rest of your luggage. You can use that piece of luggage later for bringing back souveniers.

I saw a post on another thread where someone brought a brita water bottle. Apparently it has the filter in the cap, so if you are really into your bottle water that might be a lighter option than carrying a case of water. I will probably just fill up a couple of regular bottles.

If you have a problem with salt and retaining water you do not want to drink the ships water. I only drank the ships water my last cruise and my feet got so big I could not fit in my shoes. Read my post under cruise ship questions hands and feet swelling.

• 4 weeks later...

"If you have a problem with salt and retaining water you do not want to drink the ships water."

Why? No doubt the ship's water is "soft", that is, has no calcium in it. Salt is used in water softeners to recharge the media in the retention tank, it should not show up in the finished water.

If it is made by RO, reverse osmosis, there are little or no minerals in it. What might be a problem is their control of the chlorine they add in the water because it doesn't have far to travel to get to your room tap. Of course they use the ship's water to cook, make coffee, ice, soups, and wash the dishes.

I wonder why this thread wasn't updated with my post.

I still would like to know what ship's water and salt have in common?

Once entertained some visitors to Tampa from the midwest. I asked them what they thought about Florida. Their reply "We are suprised the drinking water doesn't taste salty; is a little bit cloudly though."

My reply was that the majority of water is obtained from underground springs, the rest from reverse osmosis. Oh, and by the way, that's ice tea you're drinking.

We always fill 2 small carry-on bags with water and soda. The bags have wheels and handles so we just "wheel them on." The best part about this arrangement is that we then have 2 empty carry-on bags which are the perfect size for disembakation. The cruise ships make you put all your luggage outside your door before you go to bed the night before. The 2 carryons are perfect for those last minute items like PJ's, toiletries and valuables.

We also always take a soft-sided cooler to keep our water and soda cool in our cabin.

Not sure if we were allowed to or not....but last year a group of 3 girls and I went on the Mariner and we each had 2 bottles of some type of drink from rum to marguarita mix that we bought cheap on base in our checked bags. It made it to our room safely and we barely had a bar bill for a 7 day cruise. I guess the worse thing that could happen is that they take it... right?

Yes, you can bring wine with you on your cruise. There is a corkage fee in the dining room for them to open it for you of $10 on Carninval but we were never charged. And I brought 4 bottles in my carry on last week on board the Glory. I even brought my bottle opener so that we could open a bottle in the room to share with new friends!

And whatever is not finished in the dining room they will store for you until the following evening. When you arrive it will be on your table already and waiting for you.

Cruizinrican:)

Archived