Fishing Tours

SheilaS

We have a fisherman with us, and are trying to nail down if there is a fishing tour out of Juneau, Ketchican, or Skagway for him.

We will be cruising May 18-26 - will they be ready for fishing then?

Thank you for any help you can give me. :)

I just about go to Alaska every year in that timeframe, and it is not good fishing. Had some complaining people- all three weeks of my May trip who stated fishing as poor. Check with Alaska Fish and Game for peak schedules.

Depends on what they want to catch I guess. Might be too early for salmon but perhaps you can get a charter for halibut or bottom fishing for rockfish, etc. I've booked with Northern Lights charter in Ketchikan for the day in early June. We'll try salmon fishing but if it's too early for the Kings, we'll adjust our sails and go bottom fishing for ling cod, flounder, rock fish and the like. Totally agree with Budget Queen to review the Alaska Fish and Game calendar for what's in season at the various ports. Don't miss an opportunity to fish where the fishing doesn't get any better - ALASKA! Tight lines!!!!

Juneau's spring king derby is the month of may.

Wrangel's is early May to early June.

Ketchikan, Sitka, Haines and Petersburg have salmon derbies over the Memorial Day weekend. Ketchikan continues for two more weekends, Haines and Sitka for one.

Can't have a derby without fish to catch. There is fishing within your timeframe.

The middle of May is early but the King salmon are in and around Ketchikan. It's not like fishing for salmon in middle of July - September but because there is only one species of salmon around in May and that's the King salmon.