Docking in Ijmuiden during Sail Amsterdam

Our ship will be docking in Ijmuiden on Thus. Aug 19th - the first day of Sail Amsterdam. I am assuming that is why we are not docking right in town. From what I read on the website, they are doing a Sail-in Parade on that day. I am very excited to be able to attend lots of the festivities and will be checking back for a schedule once it is out.

My biggest problem though is... how do I get to Amsterdam? When I did a CC Search, they talked about taking the fast-ferry, but that will probably not be running either if they are doing a Sail-in Parade. Are there any other options? I may check with the cruise line to see if they might have transport set up for us.

Thanks!

Our ship will be docking in Ijmuiden on Thus. Aug 19th - the first day of Sail Amsterdam. I am assuming that is why we are not docking right in town. From what I read on the website, they are doing a Sail-in Parade on that day. I am very excited to be able to attend lots of the festivities and will be checking back for a schedule once it is out.

My biggest problem though is... how do I get to Amsterdam? Thanks!

That indeed is a very unusual situation. There are two harbors in Ijmuiden and the one you probably will be docking in is called the Vissershaven.

However, there are no train connections from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam. It is possible to take a bus but you would have to transfer to another train station west of Amsterdam and take a short train ride into town.

A taxi would be an alternative.

I am sure the cruise line must be aware of all this and I would think they can arrange busses on that day.

You would also be missing going through the locks and the transit through the North Sea Canal. Hopefully you will have a nice view of the ship parade.

Sail Amsterdam is a big event with tallships etc. that tales place every 5 years.

The cruise-terminal cannot be reached during those days since the port will be filled with those special ships. Many of them sometimes can be visited during the day.

Therefore your company will dock in IJmuiden, which is about 15 miles west of Amsterdam, at the entrance of Northseacanal to Amsterdam.

Public transport from IJmuiden to Amsterdam is a bit complicated, so if your cruiseline offers transportation better do that.

Or skip Amsterdam and take a bus to Haarlem.

We will be on the Regatta which is scheduled to dock in Amsterdam on August 21 from 9 to 6pm. According to the info from Oceania, the port is 2 miles from the city. I would guess that we will be affected by the Sail Amsterdam. The only thing I really must see in Amsterdam is the Anne Frank house. Please tell me that there is a way for me to get there when we are in port. I definitely will get tickets ahead of time as I am sure there will be none available otherwise. I also do not know if the Regatta will be docking at the further port. I also do not know when the ship's tour material will be released to us to see if there is a ship shuttle.

Are there reasonable alternatives such as private transport or public transportation? According to some tour books, hiring a taxi is not a good idea as they are not always reputable.

Just trying to plan and kind of have a clue about what we are doing.

Thanks.

Pearl

We will be on the Regatta which is scheduled to dock in Amsterdam on August 21 from 9 to 6pm. According to the info from Oceania, the port is 2 miles from the city. I would guess that we will be affected by the Sail Amsterdam. The only thing I really must see in Amsterdam is the Anne Frank house. Please tell me that there is a way for me to get there when we are in port. I definitely will get tickets ahead of time as I am sure there will be none available otherwise. I also do not know if the Regatta will be docking at the further port. I also do not know when the ship's tour material will be released to us to see if there is a ship shuttle.

Are there reasonable alternatives such as private transport or public transportation? According to some tour books, hiring a taxi is not a good idea as they are not always reputable.

Just trying to plan and kind of have a clue about what we are doing.

Thanks.

Pearl

Try to find out if your ship docks at the cruise-terminal or any alternative dock. That is important for you to know.

From the cruise-terminal you will have good public transport, but it will be very busy because of the festivities. Tramnr. 25 starts and ends at the terminal. For Anne Frankhuis you will need to change to tramnr. 13 or 17 at Centraal Station and get off at Westerkerk. Or take the "stop and Go bus from CS, it stops near Anne Frasnkhouse.

If you are docked in another place you might need to take a cab. Other areas in port are mainly industrial with less public transport.

Once you know you can make reservations for Anne Frankhouse, or to be sure book it in the early afternoon.

We will be on the Regatta which is scheduled to dock in Amsterdam on August 21 from 9 to 6pm. According to the info from Oceania, the port is 2 miles from the city. I would guess that we will be affected by the Sail Amsterdam.

Pearl

The way I read the schedule of the Sail Amsterdam is that the event takes place from August 19 through 23. The ships will sail into the harbor on the 19th and leave the 23rd. The tall ships will dock (among other places) right where the cruise terminal is located.

See http://sail2010.nl/en/location/

So, I really doubt that the Regatta will dock in the normal location (cruise terminal and very close to the city center).

As Ine indicated, there are other harbor locations but they are quite a ways outside the city limits with difficult transportation except taxis.

Knowing a bit how Oceania operates, my guess is that they will insist that you take one of their tours rather than giving you honest advice about transportation on your own. But I would suggest you ask them well in advance. They must be well aware of the Sail Amsterdam event.

There is a ship tour called "Amsterdam on your Own" which drops people off in the main tourist center ( that is the wording used by Azamara for an Aug.19 visit to Amsterdam). It states the ship arrives at 10 a.m. If we are dropped off in the tourist center, is it an easy walk to the Anne Frank house and a possible canal cruise? If so, I will try to get my own tickets online to the Anne Frank House and perhaps a canal cruise. Thanks for your help for a first time visitor to Amsterdam.

Alice

There is a ship tour called "Amsterdam on your Own" which drops people off in the main tourist center ( that is the wording used by Azamara for an Aug.19 visit to Amsterdam). It states the ship arrives at 10 a.m. If we are dropped off in the tourist center, is it an easy walk to the Anne Frank house and a possible canal cruise? If so, I will try to get my own tickets online to the Anne Frank House and perhaps a canal cruise. Thanks for your help for a first time visitor to Amsterdam.

Alice

So it seems that there will be several cruise ships docking Ijmuiden during the Sail Amsterdam events. I don't know what the ship's tour cost, but to make a comparison with taxis, have a look at the following site http://www.worldtaximeter.com/amsterdam/IJmuiden,+Velsen+Noord+Holland+,+Netherlands/amstel+station

The one way fare by taxi could run you around 80 euros. Not cheap, but you could share that four ways or more. The taxi could then drop you off where ever you prefer.

For more details what and how to see Amsterdam including the Anne Frank House, you could have a look at our web site shown below and include Amsterdam in the .com/Amsterdam.html

Lair Bear and Ine: Thanks for your info. I did email Oceania to get more specific details but have yet to hear. They may not know specifically at this time. If we need to use a taxi, are they reputable and safe? I am sure they would want to be in the center of town rather than in the outskirts. when I get the info, I will post questions.

And LairBear, I do have your website bookmarked. I hope to print out your walking tours to plan our trips. And many thanks for all of your hard work putting it all together.

Pearl

Lair Bear and Ine: Thanks for your info. I did email Oceania to get more specific details but have yet to hear. They may not know specifically at this time. If we need to use a taxi, are they reputable and safe? I am sure they would want to be in the center of town rather than in the outskirts. when I get the info, I will post questions.

And LairBear, I do have your website bookmarked. I hope to print out your walking tours to plan our trips. And many thanks for all of your hard work putting it all together.

Pearl

On the days that the tall ships are not coming or going (such as yours on August 20, 21 or 23rd) the cruise ships will probably be docked in one of the commercial shipping locations. The Google Earth picture below shows one of those, but I don't know if it is the one used by your ship.

However, you can see that it is too far to walk compared with the 'normal' cruise terminal.

I know this might be a bit confusing, but I am sure it all works out for you.

Have fun!!!!!!

dockamsterdam.jpg

Thanks, Lair Bear, for the reassuring info. The information that I had previously been given from Oceania was that we would dock 2 miles from town. Perhaps that info would coincide with the info you gave about an alternate docking in the commercial port area. I will just have to be patient and see what Oceania says.

Thanks again.

Pearl

Oceania responded stating that the Regatta would be docking at Ceres Quai which they say is 30 minutes outside the city center. They said they would probably extend the shore excursions to allow for the longer drive. They also reminded those who will tour on their own that the ship will sail at 6 pm and all need to be onboard one hour prior.

That said--how do we get into town? Specifically, I want to get to Anne Frank house. I don't know where this port is in relationship to the city center. West? East? South? North? The map I have is not very specific. I am sure traffic will be a nightmare so what would be an appropriate time to get into the AFHouse? I had originally thought 12:30 or 1:00. Is that a good time? Our ship docks at 8 am. I am planning on buying the tickets online. Any help will be appreciated.

Pearl

Oceania responded stating that the Regatta would be docking at Ceres Quai which they say is 30 minutes outside the city center.

Pearl

The Ceres harbor is another two miles west of what I indicated on the map below. It is a commercial container docking facility and there are absolutely no public transportation facilities close by.

I am sorry, Pearl, but unless you make some type of arrangement with a taxi service in Amsterdam, you will have to go along with what Oceania offers in the way of their 'tours'.

The 30 minutes outside the city center is their way of saying 'you are in our hands'. Just like in Zeebrugge, Belgium, they don't offer assistance like other cruise ship companies do.

If I sound negative about Oceania, it is because I am. They have nice ships and we liked the 'casual' attire and ambiance, but the service aboard and the way they push people around was not to my liking. I guess they just want to make more money from the shore excursions in each port.

Good luck.

Oceania responded stating that the Regatta would be docking at Ceres Quai which they say is 30 minutes outside the city center. They said they would probably extend the shore excursions to allow for the longer drive. They also reminded those who will tour on their own that the ship will sail at 6 pm and all need to be onboard one hour prior.

That said--how do we get into town? Specifically, I want to get to Anne Frank house. I don't know where this port is in relationship to the city center. West? East? South? North? The map I have is not very specific. I am sure traffic will be a nightmare so what would be an appropriate time to get into the AFHouse? I had originally thought 12:30 or 1:00. Is that a good time? Our ship docks at 8 am. I am planning on buying the tickets online. Any help will be appreciated.

Pearl

Like Lair Bear states that is even more west of Amsterdam, a containersection of the port with absolutely NO facilities like public transport, shops, etc.

So either take a cab (check their rate since they most likely will overcharge because of the location), or go for the shuttle the cruise-line offers.

From your dockingplace to Amsterdam will take indeed at least 30 minutes, maybe even more because of the festivities.

If your ship docks at 8.00 you will be fine for 12.30 or 1 at Anne Frankhuis.

I have found three taxi companies in Amsterdam to take us from Ceres Quai (don't know if that is the same as Ijuiden or not). They are Taxicentrale Amsterdam, Ambassador Taxi, and Rudy's taxi company. I have only heard back from one of them at this time and the price was 45 euros one way for a van of 8. It sounded reasonable to me as that is the same price as the Brugge taxi. Any knowledge of these three services? I also do not know if we need to put a deposit or not. I am just starting my search.

Thank you all for the great info posted here.

Pearl

Pearl,

I have also contacted a company called Driving4U. They provide limos & mini-vans. It sounds like your port is a lot closer than Ijmuiden. I was quoted 85E each way for up to 8 people. You may want to try them also. They responded within 24 hours.

Also, if anyone is familiar with this company and has any comments, I'd love to hear them. It is always a little concerning just picking a company off their website.

Thanks!

I donot know that company, but there are so many.

The rate anyway from IJmuiden to Amsterdam is I think very good.

The drive will take about 30 minutes from IJmuiden.

Pearl's ship is indeed will dock closer to Amsterdam, roughly midway between IJmuiden and Amsterdam.

Indeed to take a taxi van that holds up to eight people for the prices that were quoted you sound fair. I am sure you agree that it is a lot better than what the ship transfer would cost.

Might I suggest one thing that you may already be familiar with. Post a note on the Roll Call part of CC for your ship and date of sailing. We found it to be very valuable when we were on the Regatta to the Baltic. We made contact with several interesting people before the trip and we were able to share ideas, etc.

It is a great way to have six more people join you to share the cost of the taxi.

Furthermore, you might indicate to the taxi service that you are willing to recommend their services to others on the Roll Call. It would give them an incentive to be prompt and reliable, especially if your dates are different and they would have more business.

Good luck and enjoy your trips.

Thank you Lair Bear and Ine!

I am glad to know that Ceres Quai is a little closer to town but still difficult via public transit. Also, that the fares seem reasonable.

I have been trying to find out if the three companies(Taxicentrale, Ambassador, and Rudy's Taxi Service) I contacted as well as the one GACRUISER456 found(Driving 4U) are reliable. I don't want to be stranded in Amsterdam and miss the ship. The one I heard back from was Rudy's but don't know anything about him. I did try to get info from Trip Advisor but no luck.

Lair Bear, you are absolutely right about the roll call section of this site. It has enabled me to get a group organized for St. Petersburg as well as the taxi service in Brugge. I have my group ready to go for Amsterdam--I just need to get some more feedback.

One more thing, what about tipping?

Again, thanks.

Pearl

Thank you Lair Bear and Ine!

I am glad to know that Ceres Quai is a little closer to town but still difficult via public transit. Also, that the fares seem reasonable.

I have been trying to find out if the three companies(Taxicentrale, Ambassador, and Rudy's Taxi Service) I contacted as well as the one GACRUISER456 found(Driving 4U) are reliable. I don't want to be stranded in Amsterdam and miss the ship. The one I heard back from was Rudy's but don't know anything about him. I did try to get info from Trip Advisor but no luck.

You might contact the following association http://www.connekt.nl/en/about_connekt/leden/215/koninklijk_nederlands_vervoer.html

Reputable taxi service companies belong to this and they might give you advice. Notice the email address.

Rudy's Taxi service belongs to this and, although I cannot vouch for the company, they seem to be ok. Notice also that they provide tour services, so if you were interested, they could take you to other places besides downtown Amsterdam. The other companies might also do that. I don't know.

What I would do is to insist that you pay them at the end of the day when they have taken you back to the ship. Since you are a passenger on the ship, they know that you are not going to skip the return trip and be stranded.

Tipping in Europe is not necessary, but sort of expected from Americans. I would suggest giving them a couple dollars extra but certainly not more than five.

Thank you, Lair Bear. I feel a little better about this. That is a good idea about paying them at the end. In their quote they had everything listed of which one was several hours with them. It might be a suggestion. I will propose it to our group.

I cannot thank you enough for your responses to my many questions. Once I have this one figured out, I will move on to Copenhagen!

Pearl

Thank you, Lair Bear. I feel a little better about this. That is a good idea about paying them at the end. In their quote they had everything listed of which one was several hours with them. It might be a suggestion. I will propose it to our group.

Pearl

Perhaps the map below might be of help. The distance from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam is about 16 miles. So you can see that is not all that far.

If your group should consider taking an extra excursion with the taxi company, I would suggest not to have them take you directly into the city and drive you around. Too much traffic and the city is much better done on your own.

However, I would suggest going to one or both of the places I have shown north of Amsterdam. The Zaanse Schans is a great little spot with several windmills and some demonstrations about making wooden shoes and cheese. From there you could have the taxi take you directly to the Anne Frank House or where ever.

Should you want to extend a bit, have the driver take you to Volendam. You could spend an hour or so at each place and still be able to go to the Anne Frank House for a 2:00 or 2:30 reservation.

We did the above on our own by taking a local bus but a taxi would be much quicker.

For details on our day in Amsterdam you might have a look at http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam1.html

map%20ijmuiden%202.jpg

Thank you, Lair Bear, for the map. I now have a good picture in my head where we are talking. I have directed my group to your suggestion. The Zaanse Schans looks quite interesting. I looked it up in Rick Steves' book. Seeing windmills would be a real plus I think.

I have gotten two responses. One from Rudy's for 45 euros one way or 280 euros for a half day or 560 euros for a full day. With a van of 8 the price is still cheaper than the ship's excursions for half the time. The DRIVING 4U came in with 65 euros but want payment ahead of time. That part I don't like. I am also not totally sure if the 65 is round trip or not. I am thinking it is. They are also more of a limo service. GACRUISER456, did they want payment upfront? A little nervous about that.

Another question for Lair Bear. The Zaanse Schans does not open until 10 am but Anne Frank opens at 9. Would it be better to do the trip in reverse? Also would it be possible to see the Zaanse Schans, Anne Frank house, and the Dutch Resistance Museum in our allotted time? Or since we have the traffic issues, stick to the Zaanze and Anne Frank and skip the Resistance museum? If we would go to the Zaanse Schans first, would a 1:30 time be good or should we make it more like 2:00? I am just trying to figure out logistics and timing for AF since if we miss our time slot, we are out of luck.

I appreciate all the answers to my questions and do apologize for my constant questions. GACRUISER456, what have you decided?

Pearl

Archived