Petra, jordan

cruise.gal

We will be at the port for Petra, Jordan, during our world cruise on the Pacific Princess, arriving April 2015. Having been to Ephesus, The Acropolis, original Greek Theatre and the Colosseum in Rome...is the time and effort (as in walking 6-7 miles in the desert) and pricey ship's excursion....really and truly not-to-be missed?

To all of you that have been there....would appreciate any input that you have.:confused:

cruise.gal

The Lost City of Petra is one of the best sites we have visited from around the world. We have visited there twice and I would like to return again. There is so much to see and even the weather (sunny or cloudy) can change up what you see in terms of all of the colors. You do not have to walk the entire area but the more you walk the more you see.

I highly recommend the visit. It is amazing.

Keith

Petra is different again to Ephesus, the Acropolis, the Colosseum, etc. Personally I would definitely rank it above the Acropolis and the Colosseum. It would give Ephesus a run for its money too - they are different, and I couldn't say which one I enjoyed more. They are both pretty amazing.

As Keith has said, the more you walk the more you will see. Petra is quite spread out. We climbed up to the monastery, and it was oh so worth it!

I would absolutely go back for a second visit to Petra if the opportunity ever arises. We ran out of time last time to see everything we wanted to get to.

As the others say, do not miss Petra. It is unlike anything you have seen. This city was not built in the unusual sense, but was carved out of stone.

If you want to cut down on the walking, pay a bit extra and use a donkey or cart to get through the Siq. That's about a mile each way. Or at least use one on the way out. But if you use one on the way in, get off and walk that final approach. The first view of the Treasury as you are about to emerge from the siq is breathtaking.

If walking is not a problem then I really would avoid the cart and also the camels.

But if you have issues walking and/or it is so very hot that day (sometimes it can actually be cool and not hot) then consider one of these forms of transportation.

Keith

Thank you...all...for your comments and suggestions.:) We have now booked the ship's excursion to the Lost City of Petra!:cool:

Another excursion question...is it worth the effort to see the Sistine Chapel and Basilica? We have been to Rome and St. Peter's Square, etc.

You World Cruisers are a wealth of information for us W.C. newbies!

cruise.gal Lu (*.*)

• 7 months later...

Definitely recommend an organized tour for Rome, especially a ship's tour, as there will be no lines (or at least faster lines) and the traffic is unbelievable. If a ship tour, it wait for you if there is a delay. We have also seen the catacombs which were strangely wonderful and next year we are going to Ostia Antica so may be options to consider as the Sistine Chapel is amazing but we were herded thru with little time to view - a big disappointment