Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

I know others have posted about this as well...but what a ROYAL screwup. I am so upset that RCCL does not have the courage to do what is right by the passengers that booked early on the" NEW" RHAPSODY. If you booked an aft cabin on deck 8 prior to January---your cabin # has been changed and you are no longer aft. Someone who booked well after you has been booked into your aft JS. Everyone has a story and everyone wants their room back. We booked the aft as this is a dream trip for us to Alaska. We only wanted an Aft cabin. Had we not been able to book one, we would have picked a different week! Everyone just wants RCCL to step up and tell us WHY?? Why treat loyal customers with such disrespect?

I would be livid if this happened to me...so much so that I would probably have to re-consider my future cruises with them. I really hope they find some way to make this right with you and for the others who hand-picked the rooms they wanted. So sorry you have to go through this.

Behind you all the way. This is one of the few times I don't side with RCCL and would expect either a free cruise or another cruise deemed acceptable by you.

I finally got my aft cabin and booked over a year in advance. I just completed that cruise. If it had been taken away it would have ruined the whole cruise. Even another category higher would not have replaced that aft view. We "aft-ers" are passionate about our aft cabins. Anything less would be half-aft.

I think we all know or at least suspect what is going on here. I would push until I found out. This is ridiculous. :mad:

It's not even a difficult mistake for them to correct and it was THEIR mistake. They just kick those people in aft out of those rooms and tell them are getting the same exact room they had originally booked but their room number just changed. How could anyone argue with that? The room number means absolutely nothing.

I'm wondering how many people have been affected, and how many of those know about it. At least the ones who know can continue to fight. Imagine the people who show up expecting to walk in to an aft cabin only to discover they've been moved. :mad:

There is a family on our cruise in this situation. I wish there was something we could do to help....

I'm one of the many that completely agree this has been one of the most poorly handled issues ever by a customer service deparment. As we discussed in the other threads, I would encourage you to write Cruise Critic, write the Consumerist.com, write to travel magazines, contact the BBB, contact news stations, publicize it on Twitter...whatever it takes to make something like this public. Many of us have fought tooth and nail to get our cabins back, and the only ones that have been successful were the ones in which the cabins had not already been booked (or in the extremely rare case that the person occupying the cabin was willing to give it up).

The only thing that is going to win this battle is to get it a good deal of public exposure, and so far it doesn't really have any outside of this community.

Unfortunately, this is a "no win" situation. If you boot the new folk out of their cabins.....that they should not have gotten.....they will cry fowl, as the ones that have been shafted by Royal Caribbean already, because they had the cabins first, and truly have the right to have them back.

Is the story good enough for "60 minutes"? Maybe if enough of you got together to tell your story, and then let "60 minutes" go to Royal Caribbean to get their side........it could be quite interesting. Then again, maybe Royal Caribbean will tell the network that they will stop all advertising with them........so see......it's really a "no win" situation.

I feel very sad for the original folks that reserved their favorite cabins, to be screwed out of them.

Royal Caribbean needs to step to the plate, and work out some sort of compensation. Unfortunately, with Mr. Foldstein.......er, Goldstein at the helm, don't expect much. His lack of ability at customer service is abominable.

All I can say to those that lost your coveted cabins.......keep the pressure on, by all ways imaginable, including involving the Attorney General for the state of Florida, for misrepresentation, and see if there is an attorney that would act on the behalf of all of the folks that lost their cabins in a pro bono case, just to get his/her name in the news!

Keep us informed!

Rick

I have to think that everybody who booked an aft cabin before the new deck plans were released was relocated. How hard would it be to send the following email?

Dear [person who booked the new cabin]

We regret to inform you that we are unable to confirm your reservation in the cabin you have selected. The cabin has already been booked by another passenter and was mistakenly made available on our website. We have relocated you to cabin #xxxx, and have added $300 in onboard credit for the inconvenience. If you wish to cancel the cruise, we will do so without penalty and credit you with $300 toward a future cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Now get the **** out. There.

The notion that the person who booked last has the rights is just absurd.

I have to think that everybody who booked an aft cabin before the new deck plans were released was relocated. How hard would it be to send the following email?

We regret to inform you that we are unable to confirm your reservation in the cabin you have selected. The cabin has already been booked by another passenter and was mistakenly made available on our website. We have relocated you to cabin #xxxx, and have added $300 in onboard credit for the inconvenience. If you wish to cancel the cruise, we will do so without penalty and credit you with $300 toward a future cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Brilliant wording, and exactly what they should have done. Couldn't have said it better

myself!

I'm one of the many that completely agree this has been one of the most poorly handled issues ever by a customer service deparment. As we discussed in the other threads, I would encourage you to write Cruise Critic, write the Consumerist.com, write to travel magazines, contact the BBB, contact news stations, publicize it on Twitter...whatever it takes to make something like this public. Many of us have fought tooth and nail to get our cabins back, and the only ones that have been successful were the ones in which the cabins had not already been booked (or in the extremely rare case that the person occupying the cabin was willing to give it up).

The only thing that is going to win this battle is to get it a good deal of public exposure, and so far it doesn't really have any outside of this community.

I totally agree...made a formal complaint last night with the BBB. What I do not understand is why they have to "ask" the person now occupying the room if they are willing to give it up...we were not asked...we were just moved. I just am really upset that they are not notifying the first people who booked and giving us the choice.

QFT.

While the CSR's argument that someone will lose out is true, that doesn't give any justification that the person who made the booking first should be the one.

To not resolve it based on priority i.e. first in, just smacks of laziness on their part.

They definiatly should of done something like that.

I can't even begin to think what Royal's thinking is behind this one.

Critterchick -Absolutely Perfect - I agree with Desertpilot - Brilliant (and so simple) - Nan

I sent a lengthy letter to them when it first "happened" I'm not even personally involved - but we ALL are - "and it ain't over yet" - not nearly - there is another site that I frequently consult for (easy) cabin availability and it STILL shows the old deck plans with all those fantail/stern balconies - even corners - "frei" I am so meddlesome that I even sent THEM an email outlining what is in their future and after two tries have been assured it has been sent to the correct department for review - over a week ago, so . . . the "wrong" cabins will continue to be booked -

actually here is the letter I sent February 28th, which I entitled "A plea for restoration on Rhapsody eighth deck" - there were FIFTY - (I just counted) excerpts in the missive I sent - and I received the appreciative phone call and engaged discussion, with assurances that they were doing everything possible to "right" the situation - and as we used to say in my home town - "That and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee at the Depot Dine" (if you all don't watch out, I might post the fifty excerpts and take up two MORE pages)

Dear Mr Goldstein (et al) -

you have been kind enough to read and consider my letters before and although the format I've used here will be tedious reading,

I hope you will at least skim through (and imagine how tedious it was for ME to compile it) (it is excerpts from a thread started about

Rhapsody's dry dock (Cruise Critic's Message Boards) and colored by me to separate postings)

It is the best way I can think of to convey what has transpired in the reassignment of staterooms resulting from the renumbering of Rhapsody 8th deck aft cabins and it is VERY important that you realize what has and will happen to all cruisers affected. Some will not know their carefully chosen location has been changed until they actually board the ship over the ensuing months!! (I expect that this will be headed off by now contacting everyone whose perceived location is still available) But in the meantime, the adverse effect of this error will not fall merely on those directly affected by losing a fantail cabin; but on all whose confidence in RCI doing the right thing has been lost. I am not personally affected as I do not have an 8th deck cabin on my upcoming Rhapsody cruise; but am writing on behalf of those who are AND on behalf of RCI itself and my own future confidence in booking prized locations - since we actually choose our cruises by where we want to be.

In fact I am personally very excited and am greatly looking forward to the new version of Rhapsody -

on which we've had two wonderful and memorable cruises already.

I just love RCI so much I want to see them to do the right thing.

MOST Sincerely,

Ouch I wasn't aware of this one. RCCL really cannot say they don't know just how coverted these cabins are since all new builds now have high rent areas in these locations.... Have they made those of you who got bumped any sort of offer - or have they just said tough luck?

What about the poster who said this just a few days ago:

"Yes, I too choose my cabin location carefully, and I would be bummed if it was changed without notifying me... but, still... I'm still cruising, so I would just roll with it.

Sometimes, it seems like we all feel completely entitled to get everything EXACTLY the way we want it, EXACTLY when we want it.. ALL THE TIME.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work that way... (cue music to the old favorite: "you can't alway get what you waaant...."

Nobody said anything to her. I guess Royal can change any cabin as long as it is not an aft cabin!

This post is so sad. I feel very bad for all those who got the boot from their rooms. As far as I am concerned this is beneath Royal to do such a thing.

What kind of business makes these kind of changes without a contingency plan?

I am a first time cruiser looking to book with Royal. Sure makes me think I should be looking at other cruise lines.

I would pursue this as long as it takes until it is rectified to your satisfaction.

They should send a letter to the secondary cruisers and explain quite plainly what has transpired, apologize then give the original bookings their rooms and then proceed to re-book the secondary cruisers after that.

I only have one concern - if this is not affecting enough people they will do nothing about it - majority rules.

It's a good letter Jean, but does Royal Caribbean have the skills to pull it off. I know what you would do, if you were running that department. Now, here is a question. What, if any difference in money was being charged to the orginal passenger that booked the number that they thought was the coveted aft cabin, vs the charges for the aft cabins with new numbers?

Is the revenue enough for Royal Caribbean to just say to heck with some old time Loyal to Royal cruisers, who may or may not leave the line.

The won't even send a ship over to the West Coast for 3 months a year to keep us happy, and the ship filled over "revenue", so what makes you think, that if the ship is making more money over the new passengers...that they would switch back.

There seems to be many short sighted (but quick buck) items happening at RCCL today.

It's like we were booked in rows 1A and 1B on Delta a month ago, heading to Ft. Lauderdale. On the first leg of the return flight we were assigned seats 7A and 7B. On inquiry, they said, "you are still in First Class, and we had an equipment change, so we needed to move passengers around."

It turned out that the passengers assigned our seats were upgraded from coach as they were frequent travelers. My point was that 1A, and 1B were on the new equipment, but we were dumped, so have asked for compensation, and will be receiving same for their blunder.

Delta is pretty tight with their money, but it seems that Royal Caribbean is even more so.

Archived