NCL Alaska complete confusion - Is it Sun or Jewel 2018 from Vancouver/Seward?

Daffodil92

On the website (UK and US) it says the Sun is sailing Vancouver to Seward in July and August 2018. These cruises are live and available to book when I looked today.

However, some UK customers yesterday received a cancellation notice for their Sun cruise tours saying it has been changed to the Jewel and they therefore must completely rebook and will not be allowed to retain the land tour portion of their trip.

I booked a Southbound Seward to Vancouver cruise tour on the NCL Sun for 30th July 2018 which was cancelled by NCL (with no explanation at all) yesterday.

I had also booked a Northbound Vancouver to Seward cruise (as a back up) with a US TA for 23rd July 2018, which I assumed was also on the Sun. However, looking closely at my paperwork - it says it's the Jewel! I booked this in March. This must be the same ship which will turn around for the Southbound journey on the 30th. :confused:

Does anybody know what is going on please and has anyone else had their Sun 2018 cruise completely cancelled?

Thanks for any insights.

Most of the cruises on The Sun for July and August on The Sun have been canceled and automatically re-booked for The Jewel.

Norwegian has not made a formally announcement as to why yet. Some people are assuming that The Sun has been chartered to act as a floating hotel for The World Cup Soccer in Russia during July and August of 2018. It would not be the first time that a Norwegian ship has been chartered to act as floating hotel for a major sporting event.

Most of the cruises on The Sun for July and August on The Sun have been canceled and automatically re-booked for The Jewel.

Norwegian has not made a formally announcement as to why yet. Some people are assuming that The Sun has been chartered to act as a floating hotel for The World Cup Soccer in Russia during July and August of 2018. It would not be the first time that a Norwegian ship has been chartered to act as floating hotel for a major sporting event.

Thank you for your reply. When people have been automatically rebooked, have they been given the same cabins? (Is the Jewel the same layout of ship as the Sun?)

Daffodi,

I am booked on the same cruise - booked through a travel agent last March in New York.

NCL website indicates a "DEFAULT ITINERARY NAME" and when I click on "VIEW VACATION SUMMARY" the webpage crashes.

Quick phone call to NCL 1.866.234.7350 - they advise the booking exists and is valid.

Thank you for your reply. When people have been automatically rebooked, have they been given the same cabins? (Is the Jewel the same layout of ship as the Sun?)

I think the jewel is a larger ship than the Sun and therefore does not have the same layout. You can check on NCL's website.

Daffodi,

I am booked on the same cruise - booked through a travel agent last March in New York.

NCL website indicates a "DEFAULT ITINERARY NAME" and when I click on "VIEW VACATION SUMMARY" the webpage crashes.

Quick phone call to NCL 1.866.234.7350 - they advise the booking exists and is valid.

Hi there. Glad they are reassuring you. Are you on the cruise tour or just the cruise?

The Sun is a smaller ship and laid out differently. The Sun can carry about 2,000 passengers and The Jewel about 2500.

The Jewel is a wonderful ship with a great staff. I get to board Her once again in 70 days and can not wait.

Enjoy

I've been looking into this and we had a mid ship balcony room on the sun - and if they change it for the same cabin it is actually quite a bit smaller. I have asked NCL how this will work as one of the reasons we booked the specific cabin was the size, will let you know what i hear back

The Jewel is 1000X better than the Sun.

In your opinion. I would rather take the Sun over the Jewel any day. The Sun has a better observation lounge/deck than the Jewel. Yes, there are more things to do on the Jewel, but I like the Sun staterooms better. It's a matter of personal perspective and preferences.

I have (correction had) adjoining balcony cabins and relatives in nearby cabins on the Sun. I am so glad my lovely wife insisted we purchase insurance.:D

You should not have needed insurance for a cancellation by the cruise line. Are you in the US? Most people are being moved to the Jewel automatically and then being advised of their new cabin #.

On my July 9, 2018 cruise I was given the same class, mid-ship balcony, my original cabin was on the port side, the new one is starboard. I would rather be on the port side to see the sunsets.......Then I upgraded to a aft mini suite.....Hope it is worth it

Edited by buddy1755

You should not have needed insurance for a cancellation by the cruise line. Are you in the US? Most people are being moved to the Jewel automatically and then being advised of their new cabin #.

We have a cruise tour booked in August of 2018. on the Sun, now Jewel. We still have not heard anything from NCL about the change. Reading this thread had me logging in to MyNCL and I saw the change in ships there. Can't find the cabin no. yet as the page is taking a vacation. ;)

We have a cruise tour booked in August of 2018. on the Sun, now Jewel. We still have not heard anything from NCL about the change. Reading this thread had me logging in to MyNCL and I saw the change in ships there. Can't find the cabin no. yet as the page is taking a vacation. ;)

My travel agent said they should have everything moved over by the 9th or 10th. We should know more by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forgot to mention that the only dates the Jewel is replacing is May 26 - September 10. The rest of the schedule for the Sun remains the same...

Still no indication what the Jewel will be doing after arriving in Japan 4/28/18. 28 days transpacific?

I'm booked on the Sun June 25, 2018. I guess this explains why when I've tried to make a payment online the last few days it won't let me.

We've booked an aft suite, so I hope we are given a similar suite on the Jewel. I know nothing about the Jewel. Time for more research!

I'm booked on the Sun June 25, 2018. I guess this explains why when I've tried to make a payment online the last few days it won't let me.

We've booked an aft suite, so I hope we are given a similar suite on the Jewel. I know nothing about the Jewel. Time for more research!

I know I read some posts indicating people were calling NCL directly to get their new cabin assignments. I don't think you should wait to see what they select for you....

We are on the May 26, 2018 sailing, and after reading the mystery here on CC, called my PCC. We have been reassigned cabins on the Jewel which are almost identical to the layout we had on the Sun: Two adjoining cabins then the next cabin is the next lower category. So be assured that they are working diligently to get everyone placed in equivalent cabins on the Jewel.

Our reservation was for the 10th deck on the Sun, but on the 9th. on the Jewel. Being that the Jewel is larger/taller, we are probably about the same level above the sea, and still have cabins above and below us, too. So my advice is to just wait..........

I called last night & was given our new room assignment. It didn't really work for us. On the Sun I had reserved a great aft balcony suite w/separated sleeping area in the living room for our teenage son and 2 bathrooms. I was given a forward suite with a big balcony, but our son would be sleeping right next to us on a pull out chair & only 1 bathroom. I was given some other room choices, but after doing some research online, I'm not real excited about them. While they have the space we need, the balconies are just regular size. The draw for me in spending the money for the aft suite was the huge balcony, not really the suite amenities. If I'm just going to have a regular size balcony anyways, I'm leaning towards a balcony room for my husband & I and an inside room for our son. I haven't priced it yet, but I'm sure it would be less, even with my son as a single in the inside room.

I have (correction had) adjoining balcony cabins and relatives in nearby cabins on the Sun. I am so glad my lovely wife insisted we purchase insurance.:D

What would insurance have to do with this?

You are either still getting a cruise and most probably with adjoining balconies.. Or you can cancel with no charge.

As to the Jewel. Great ship. Would prefer over the Sun, but either are fine.