Pride of America suite room service

L2trvl

POA is a unique ship.

We were surprised that we were not able to get room service as we had on other ships.

We were in Owners Suite and were told we could not get Cagneys in room for either breakfast or lunch. We were told we could only get what was on breakfast room service card.

We already had coffee and espresso in room (lots of cookies ;)) so, we just went to Cagneys for our meals.

We were also discouraged in ordering dinner in suite by the concierge on board, Mr. Lines. He has very strict guidelines and indicated that butler was too busy to bring dinners to forward portion of ship. We did finally get a dinner because we had a great butler . When I discussed this with HD, he only said that Suites Concierge establish the guidelines for ship. He did send a bottle of wine to room with note. YMMV , our experience was last year, so it may be different now.

That is very disappointing! I was really excited after reading long threads with posts abt wonderful breakfasts from Cagney's (or the ships designated suite restaurant) or even MDR, and dinners from specialty restaurants!

It's a shame that PoA knows it has a monopoly and takes advantage of it. Without the location, or if there was true competition, we would never have booked this ship. There were so many bad reviews, I had to close my eyes and just "write the check." My extended family and I wanted the destination and wanted the cruise experience.

We go on all of our trips with a good attitude and enthusiasm. We are already in that mode for this trip! Had to put negative reviews behind us and look at the good parts of the trip. However, this does put a sour taste in my mouth for future NCL cruises!

My DD and DGD and myself have a cruise on POA coming up. I knew going in that the service for suites would not be the same as I have experienced on other NCL ships so we booked a balcony. Platinum means I will get some of the things such as early disembark at the one tender port as the others are walk off we will be fine. The ability to have room service and a full breakfast is a timesaver for us on other cruises this one not so much. I am thinking (note thinking not fact) that perhaps the American crew has a different take on what a butler and concierge should provide as part of the suite experience.

They have a note in the suite about no Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. My "guess" is due to the port intensive nature of the trip most suites would got that route and it would be a madhouse for the kitchen and butlers to effectively handle. Whether that is right or not, that is another thing. When we did have breakfast in Cagneys the service was very quick and they opened at 6:30 a.m. as I recall.

As far as other service and bad reviews of POA, yes, those existed but when we went last year the ship had very good service and I would not hesitate to go on her again. The crew overall was very attentive and food was good.

dexddd, its positive reviews like yours that I am clinging to!

However, if your theory is correct, all of those people going ashore, that PoA doesn't have to feed, cater to and entertain, has to amount to enough to pay for enough poorly paid, gratuity supported employees to offer PoA passengers what all other Norwegian ship passengers get, and more times than not at a better fare....HELLOOO MONOPOLY!

We chose this cruise. We will have a great time. But, fair is fair and I want what everybody else is getting!!

We chose this cruise. We will have a great time. But, fair is fair and I want what everybody else is getting!!

Stomping your feet, throwing a tantrum and holding your breath until you turn blue is always a good way to get what you want.

However, if your theory is correct, all of those people going ashore, that PoA doesn't have to feed, cater to and entertain, has to amount to enough to pay for enough poorly paid, gratuity supported employees to offer PoA passengers what all other Norwegian ship passengers get, and more times than not at a better fare....HELLOOO MONOPOLY!

Count me as another who had a pretty good experience for the second time on the POA last year. Wondering what happened to Thomas, who we thought was the finest and most attentive Concierge we'd ever had. Hopefully he was taking his extended leave, replaced by Mr Lines, and he will return before your cruise.

Yes, all those people are getting off the ship every day, but they still want breakfast first, and they all want it want it early, at virtually the same time.;) Therefore, they have made the "No Cagneys room service ruling. But, that does not mean that you can't get pretty much anything you want for an in suite breakfast. We were instructed by our Butler to simply write in on the room service menu anything we did not see. Omlettes, eggs anyway you want, French Toast, fruit. Items specific to the Cagney's menu, like Tahitian French Toast, no, but French Toast, yes.

Actually, most breakfasts we ate out of the cabin, and had no difficulty getting ready, getting there and getting served well before time to disembark. So much more relaxed, and so much more to choose from that way. A very nice alternative to Cagney's is the small breakfast buffet with egg station they set up inside Moderno restaurant, which is adjacent to the open air aft deck area called the Aloha Lanai. It's not really crowded. I think most people may assume it's for Suites only since the specialties are generally not open for breakfast. You can eat inside, or carry out your plate to the Lanai tables and enjoy there.

We also enjoyed a couple dinners from Specialties in our suite, served white tablecloth and with a smile. It certainly was the same experience we have had as a suite guest on any other NCL ship. In fact, I'd have to rate it as the Best suite experience we have had.

Count me as another who had a pretty good experience for the second time on the POA last year. Wondering what happened to Thomas, who we thought was the finest and most attentive Concierge we'd ever had. Hopefully he was taking his extended leave, replaced by Mr Lines, and he will return before your cruise.

Yes, all those people are getting off the ship every day, but they still want breakfast first, and they all want it want it early, at virtually the same time.;) Therefore, they have made the "No Cagneys room service ruling. But, that does not mean that you can't get pretty much anything you want for an in suite breakfast. We were instructed by our Butler to simply write in on the room service menu anything we did not see. Omlettes, eggs anyway you want, French Toast, fruit. Items specific to the Cagney's menu, like Tahitian French Toast, no, but French Toast, yes.

Actually, most breakfasts we ate out of the cabin, and had no difficulty getting ready, getting there and getting served well before time to disembark. So much more relaxed, and so much more to choose from that way. A very nice alternative to Cagney's is the small breakfast buffet with egg station they set up inside Moderno restaurant, which is adjacent to the open air aft deck area called the Aloha Lanai. It's not really crowded. I think most people may assume it's for Suites only since the specialties are generally not open for breakfast. You can eat inside, or carry out your plate to the Lanai tables and enjoy there.

We also enjoyed a couple dinners from Specialties in our suite, served white tablecloth and with a smile. It certainly was the same experience we have had as a suite guest on any other NCL ship. In fact, I'd have to rate it as the Best suite experience we have had.

Thanks for the information. Good to know.

We cruised POA in one of the forward owners suites in April/May 2017 and had wonderful service from our butler. She told us to just write anything we wanted on our room service card and she would do her best to accommodate. We never requested anything unusual, but she always delivered to our request. She actually seemed disappointed that we did not request more from her, and she regularly reminded us to call her for anything we wanted. At the end of our cruise she told us that if we ever cruise POA again to please request her as our butler. Was not previously aware that it was an option. Her name was Susanna.

What makes you think the crew members are "..poorly paid, gratuity supported employees.."?

A very nice alternative to Cagney's is the small breakfast buffet with egg station they set up inside Moderno restaurant, which is adjacent to the open air aft deck area called the Aloha Lanai. It's not really crowded. I think most people may assume it's for Suites only since the specialties are generally not open for breakfast. You can eat inside, or carry out your plate to the Lanai tables and enjoy there.

So can anyone eat breakfast in Moderno? Is there a charge?

We ordered breakfast in our suite without any problems it may not come from Cagney's but essentially everything you order will be provided. Your Butler will take your order. CC member Brenda was amazing as she answered so many of our questions before sailing a year ago and was so positive.

Can passengers in suites order breakfast and lunch from Cagney's?....dinner?

Can breakfast be ordered from MDR?

A very nice alternative to Cagney's is the small breakfast buffet with egg station they set up inside Moderno restaurant, which is adjacent to the open air aft deck area called the Aloha Lanai. It's not really crowded. I think most people may assume it's for Suites only since the specialties are generally not open for breakfast. You can eat inside, or carry out your plate to the Lanai tables and enjoy there.

can anyone eat breakfast in Moderno? Is there a charge?

Shhh....or the secret will be out. Yes, anyone can eat there, no charge. It opens a tad later than the buffet or Cagney's as I recall. It will be listed under Breakfast locations in the Freestyle Daily. Or maybe some don't know it's there? To find it, enter the Aloha Buffet and head to the right, toward the Aft. Just before you reach the double doors onto the covered Aloha Lanai, you will see the entry to Moderno on the right. Moderno also has double doors which open onto the Lanai.

We frequented that Lanai a lot. If we made up a plate in the buffet, breakfast, lunch or dinner, we simply carried it out to the Lanai to enjoy the breezes and views. There are many tables for 4 both in sun or shade, a full bar with table service, and curved couches and chairs which are great for sailaways or evening cocktails. It is softly lit at night. Sometimes there will be some quiet entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...
We cruised POA in one of the forward owners suites in April/May 2017 and had wonderful service from our butler. She told us to just write anything we wanted on our room service card and she would do her best to accommodate. We never requested anything unusual, but she always delivered to our request. She actually seemed disappointed that we did not request more from her, and she regularly reminded us to call her for anything we wanted. At the end of our cruise she told us that if we ever cruise POA again to please request her as our butler. Was not previously aware that it was an option. Her name was Susanna.

We are in a forward facing Owners Suite in October. Hope we get Susanna as our butler. :)

By the way, did you experience a lot of motion in the front of the ship?

Does the Moderno location offer other items besides eggs?

Well, I know we did not sit down there with nothing but a plate of eggs, but I can't give you a complete inventory of items offered. I don't recall if there is a station behind the counter for waffles etc as well, there may be. There are a couple of small stations other than what's behind the counter with fruits, yogurt, pastries, probably some breakfast meats.

Well, I know we did not sit down there with nothing but a plate of eggs, but I can't give you a complete inventory of items offered. I don't recall if there is a station behind the counter for waffles etc as well, there may be. There are a couple of small stations other than what's behind the counter with fruits, yogurt, pastries, probably some breakfast meats.

Thanks, this helps alot for my granddaughter who does not eat eggs.

We are in a forward facing Owners Suite in October. Hope we get Susanna as our butler. :)

By the way, did you experience a lot of motion in the front of the ship?

We were on 12 forward, port side. Not as far forward if you are on 13 though. We did the Transpacific route and little movement up there. Since your trip is just around the islands it should be pretty calm.