Need recommendations for face sunscreen

cruisemom42

I love the daily sunscreen that I use at home under my tinted moisturizer. But on my recent travels, I realized that when I'm outside and active, the sunscreen gets into my eyes and stings. (Not normally a problem since I'm usually in an office all day....).

Can anyone suggest a good sunscreen for the face that doesn't run and/or doesn't sting if it gets into the eyes? I'm talking about use for active sightseeing, not for wearing at the beach or pool.

Thanks!

My husband does a lot of outdoor work, and he shaves his head, so he has pretty strict requirements for sunscreen. He typically uses ones that are SPF50 and "sweat" resistant - the "sport" versions - to prevent eye stinging.

He's had some skin issues and we've played with physical blocks instead of chemical blocks. In the past, he never liked the white tint that remains - even when it's not "supposed" to. However- I found a CVS version that he really likes. He says applying it is like applying paste, but it STAYS in place - doesn't drip in his eyes -AND it doesn't leave a white film like some of the titanium or zinc dioxide versions do.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=308282&productId=308282&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Personally - I use the Neutrogena ultra dry sheer spf 70 - but it's not great for sweat resistance. (actually, right now I'm using a Target store brand version of the Neutrogena ;-)

My husband does a lot of outdoor work, and he shaves his head, so he has pretty strict requirements for sunscreen. He typically uses ones that are SPF50 and "sweat" resistant - the "sport" versions - to prevent eye stinging.

He's had some skin issues and we've played with physical blocks instead of chemical blocks. In the past, he never liked the white tint that remains - even when it's not "supposed" to. However- I found a CVS version that he really likes. He says applying it is like applying paste, but it STAYS in place - doesn't drip in his eyes -AND it doesn't leave a white film like some of the titanium or zinc dioxide versions do.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=308282&productId=308282&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Personally - I use the Neutrogena ultra dry sheer spf 70 - but it's not great for sweat resistance. (actually, right now I'm using a Target store brand version of the Neutrogena ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion of the CVS brand. I've used Neutrogena religiously, but it burns my eyes so. I've also tried Korres as well. I like their after sun product for the face, it is very soothing.

The nice thing about that CVS sunscreen is it's not very expensive, so try it - if it doesn't work, give it to a friend or leave it in your pool/gym bag in case someone you're with needs some, whatever. Better than spending $50 on something that doesn't work for you:eek: My husband is so picky about sunscreens- if I see something that might be good - I'll grab it to try (and if he doesn't like it - I'll end up using it at some point:rolleyes:) Good luck!

I'm not sure that a physical block is what I need; the idea of putting on something like paste isn't what I was envisioning! :o I won't be doing heavy work or be out in really hot temps -- so at most I'd be "glowing" not sweating. I really just want something similar to the moisturizer/sunscreen I'm using now but that won't make my eyes sting.

I really just want something similar to the moisturizer/sunscreen I'm using now but that won't make my eyes sting.

Very few of the sunscreens for sensitive skin are sweat resistant. I sweat, so that's what I go for on days I'm doing more than commuting to my office. If you don't sweat (eg you're serious when you say you only glow ;-), you might be able to get away with a sensitive skin formula. Otherwise, just try a sweat resistant/sport sunscreen. Most brands make them. Some even make them for faces specifically. We've also used Baby Faces in the past with good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Tropic-Sunblock-8-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001ET6YF6

Very few of the sunscreens for sensitive skin are sweat resistant. I sweat, so that's what I go for on days I'm doing more than commuting to my office. If you don't sweat (eg you're serious when you say you only glow ;-), you might be able to get away with a sensitive skin formula. Otherwise, just try a sweat resistant/sport sunscreen. Most brands make them. Some even make them for faces specifically. We've also used Baby Faces in the past with good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Tropic-Sunblock-8-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001ET6YF6

Thanks, I like the idea of trying the Baby Faces sunblock. (And it comes with a travel size bottle, yay!)

Some of the mineral makeup offers some sun protection. I've also seen mineral powder sunscreen...I think Bare Escentuals and Peter Thomas Roth have them but not 100% sure. There are probably others. I've worn regular BE foundation out in the sun without getting burned but I have not tested it with heavy sweating and strong sun. Might be worth a shot.

I use Clinique moisturizer and also use their sun block for faces if I'm going to be in strong sun or in the water, especially if I am not using makeup. It protects but does not sting if it gets in my eye. My DH uses it also on his face and head.

Mary Lou

Ocean Potion Face Potion Clear Zinc SPF 45 1 oz

Goes on Clear Zinc Oxide is known worldwide for its sun protection qualities.

Face Potion SPF 45 goes on clear and protects the skin against both UVA & UVB sun rays.

Can be used on face, nose, ears, and even lips.

It is ideal for all outdoor activities.

•Won't Clog Pores

•Hypo-Allergenic

•Fragrance-Free

•Non-Greasy

•Absorbs Quickly

•Very Water Resistant

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm not a "bare minerals" fan, but it's good info for folks that use it. I do like Neutrogena products, so maybe I will give that a try first.

I also like Clinique -- what is the SPF of their sun block face product?

The only thing that has ever worked for me to avoid the stinging eye thing is using the stick. Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic make a stick that I put on my forehead and face and then rub in. It does not run into my eye when I sweat or swim or snorkel. It does not make me break out or anything. Works great.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm not a "bare minerals" fan, but it's good info for folks that use it. I do like Neutrogena products, so maybe I will give that a try first.

I also like Clinique -- what is the SPF of their sun block face product?

Since you like Clinique, you may want to look into their new BB cream which is moisturizer, spf30, and sheer foundation all in one. It's $37.

Ocean Potion Face Potion Clear Zinc SPF 45 goes on clear

My husband disagrees:rolleyes: This is one of the products he's tried and does not like the white film it leaves. So it's in my toiletry kit now - I hate waste:rolleyes:

Since you like Clinique, you may want to look into their new BB cream which is moisturizer, spf30, and sheer foundation all in one. It's $37.

But does it sting if it gets in your eyes? That's the main issue I have with my Aveeno moisturizer/sunscreen now. I love it otherwise, just can't use it when I'm likely to be outside sightseeing. My eyes water in the wind and sun, then I rub them and the sunscreen gets into them. I need something that won't cause this problem because it stings terribly.

Just recently it nearly ruined my day's sightseeing at Pompeii because once it got into my eye, it just kept stinging and watering the rest of the day.

But does it sting if it gets in your eyes? That's the main issue I have with my Aveeno moisturizer/sunscreen now. I love it otherwise, just can't use it when I'm likely to be outside sightseeing. My eyes water in the wind and sun, then I rub them and the sunscreen gets into them. I need something that won't cause this problem because it stings terribly.

Just recently it nearly ruined my day's sightseeing at Pompeii because once it got into my eye, it just kept stinging and watering the rest of the day.

Unlike drugstore brands, the clinique counter at Macy's wlii let you try it before committing to buying one. :-)

Unlike drugstore brands, the clinique counter at Macy's wlii let you try it before committing to buying one. :-)

Most drugstores will also let you return a product if you don't like it - they know you couldn't test it ahead of time.

Example from CVS:

Q. Do any products have a money-back guarantee?

Hide Answer

A. All CVS/pharmacy Brand products and all beauty products are 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. If you are dissatisfied for any reason, you can return the CVS/pharmacy Brand or beauty product (opened or unopened) along with your receipt or invoice and we will refund the full purchase price- no questions asked.

(I buy some Clinique and other department store products too, but I usually shop Ulta or drugstores. There are tons of options - always good to check what a return policy is wherever you're shopping:D)

I have sensitive skin and am allergic or react to many chemical sunscreens out there.

I use Vanicream 35spf Sport.

It is the only sunscreen I can use, and I use it daily as my facial moisturizer (I have normal skin, YMMV if you have dry skin)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FCY95A/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/184-9594996-7318356?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1W1JD04RYB8W2EAFNHMX&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B000V1QLEM

By the way Cynthia, I love your Port of Call posts; hubby and I are huge history buffs (ancient and medieval) and I appreciate your post about other things to see in Rome! :) Thanks!

I love the daily sunscreen that I use at home under my tinted moisturizer. But on my recent travels, I realized that when I'm outside and active, the sunscreen gets into my eyes and stings. (Not normally a problem since I'm usually in an office all day....).

Can anyone suggest a good sunscreen for the face that doesn't run and/or doesn't sting if it gets into the eyes? I'm talking about use for active sightseeing, not for wearing at the beach or pool.

Thanks!

How about Water Babies?

Not mentioned here yet, but I use Ultrasun face spf30, has anti-ageing products in it, and you apply once in the morning (15 mins before going out) and then apply makeup over the top. I have sensitive skin, and burn easily, but I've had neither problem with this :)

Archived