A 3 year old and a 1 year old...

pgerbphoto

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are thinking about planning a cruise for next Fall. Our daughters will be 3 1/2 years old and 1 1/2 years old. We're wondering if it's even do-able with 2 toddlers. There is a lot of information out there about which cruise lines are best for that age range (toddlers), so I thought I'd come here and ask experienced cruisers! We are also looking for information about cruise lines with "drop-off" programs. Any and as much information and shared experiences is appreciated. Also, please share any not-so-good experiences. Thanks so much, and I look forward to reading your comments!

Of course it's "doable"....just like any vacation with your toddlers!

You will want Carnival, or Oasis/Allure, who have nurseries for the under 3 crowd.

Regular ship cabins don't have tubs...just showers, so you'll need a blow-up tub...useful for around the pool, too, since most ships don't allow diapers (no..not even swimmies) in the pools!

The crew is very welcoming to kids....and remember, it's just a vacation!! It's not hard or mysterious!

Read up on your ports, so you'll have an idea of what to do ashore! A guidebook is most helpful!

Edited by cb at sea

Disney and Royal Caribbean's Freedom Class or larger have baby pools for kids in diapers. Both cruise lines offer daycare for children under 3 and organized activities for kids 3 and up. Royal also offers in cabin babysitting in the evenings on all their vessels but it is "subject to availability". Carnival's kids club starts at 2 and they change diapers. Royal Babies program is for kids under 3. They do change diapers. NCL has a "guppies" program 6mo. to under 3 but one parent must stay with the child at all times.

So of the cruise lines- I'd opt for Disney or Royal (Freedom Class or larger) because they have daytime and evening babysitting available to both your children and baby pools to cool off. Royal is cheaper but Disney staterooms do have bath tubs. Your kids are the perfect age for Disney IMO and you can go off season because they aren't in school, which means cheaper prices. I'd try a 3 night Disney cruise at their age.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

"cb at sea" recommended the Oasis/Allure (but didn't mention the Freedom), who have nurseries for the under 3 crowd. Does the Freedom have a nursery for the under 3 crowd as well? And does the Oasis for sure have a baby pool(s) for those in little swimmers? Thanks!

Freedom Class and larger have the nursery for kids. Radiance Class also has a dedicated nursery but no baby pool. These are pictures of the Baby h2O Zone. It's a small area that is part of the larger H2O zone and is just water that circulates so that they can cool off and splash a bit. On Disney Wonder and Magic they have Mickey's Splash Zone- which are round pools with water that circulates (so that it keeps filling with fresh water). On the newer Disney ships, they have Nemo's Reef, which is a bit larger but is the same idea.

To be clear- the baby pools are not wade pools. They have about 1/2 inch of water in them that keeps refilling with clean water.

125.jpg.33dec473e29bf6fd7e5799d9a5930883.jpg

0612fr0318.jpg.1405c54e04b3f966cee4b90981376e13.jpg

We did the allure when my son was 13 months and it was great. They have a nursery for that age for a fee but also a playroom (you stay, no sitters). The pool for kids in diapers was tiny but better than nothing. We did carnival when he was just shy of 3. Camp is for 2 and up, but he wasn't a fan (never been to day care). They didn't have a baby pool for those in diapers but he loved the beach. We will be doing the carnival magic when he's four and his sister is 13 months. As far as I'm aware there will be no services for my daughter, but we'll have grandparents for free babysitting ;)