Victoria excursions in the evening?

Our Alaskan cruise has a 6 hour stop in Victoria from 6pm to midnight. On the cruise website they offer excursions but I can't imagine that the gardens, for example, would even be open. I'm thinking it isn't even worth it to get off the ship. Am I missing something? Is there anything interesting to do for a few hours in the evening?

Butcharts Gardens will be open, but you will have to take ships excursion to ensure you are back in time for ship departure. You also just walk from pier into downtown, the inner harbour area is a happening place - especially when cruise ships are in town.

Butcharts Gardens will be open, but you will have to take ships excursion to ensure you are back in time for ship departure. You could also just walk from pier into downtown, the inner harbour area is a happening place - especially when cruise ships are in town.

Our Alaskan cruise has a 6 hour stop in Victoria from 6pm to midnight.
To clarify... what date are you arriving in Victoria? On some days there are fireworks and the garden is open very late.

First off sorry for duplicate post - that's what happens when I use my iPad before I'm fully awake!!!

The Gardens are 45 minutes from the pier so going out and coming back takes up almost half of the tour time. July 2nd the sun won't set until 10'ish, the Gardens close at 9:00 but they don't clear everyone out then - just stop letting people in. You will have ample time to see the Gardens in daylight and then magic of the night lighting.

Depending on your interests, we did a great 'Ghost Walk' in Victoria. We also had the same hours as you, walked to the main part of town and hung out there, just enjoying the sights and people until it got dark, about 9:00. Did the Ghost walk for about 90 minutes, and took a taxi back to the ship. If you are into things like this, we found this Ghost Walk to be particularly good.

Cheers

Len

Ok, those are some things to think about. Thanks! Last time I was in Victoria I was about 10. I remember some sort of hog statue where you were supposed to rub his nose. I think that was there. Anyway, I really remember enjoying that part of the trip. Too bad I have such a short time there this time.

• 4 weeks later...
Depending on your interests, we did a great 'Ghost Walk' in Victoria. We also had the same hours as you, walked to the main part of town and hung out there, just enjoying the sights and people until it got dark, about 9:00. Did the Ghost walk for about 90 minutes, and took a taxi back to the ship. If you are into things like this, we found this Ghost Walk to be particularly good.

Cheers

Len

That actually sounds like fun! Is there a particular vendor we should look for? Also, silly question, but can we use US Dollars to pay for the tour or do we have to convert to CAD?

Just a FYI on the gardens - We did a ship's excursion there which was described as "lighted" since it was after dark. It was very disappointing as there were only walkway type lights and you really could not appreciate the beauty of the gardens at all. We ended up getting a credit from the cruise line for the tour cost when I complained.

Instead of a tour- how about some sort of a shuttle that takes you to shopping? Is there anything like available when you get off the ship in Victoria?

Sorry, completely missed this post last week.

There is a shuttle that takes you to downtown, but it's frankly horrible value at (last time I was there) $10pp. A cab to downtown is less than that, so with two or more of you it's better to just do it yourself (and if the weather is behaving, the walk is 20-30mins depending how close to the water you stay).

Victoria in the evening is not exactly a shopping mecca, but some stores will still be open at least during the earlier part of the evening (6 or 7pm) - there are plenty along Government & Douglas Streets within a few blocks of the harbour, including a mall (Bay Centre - but unless it's a Thu or Fri it'll be closed by 6pm...)

Just a FYI on the gardens - We did a ship's excursion there which was described as "lighted" since it was after dark. It was very disappointing as there were only walkway type lights and you really could not appreciate the beauty of the gardens at all. We ended up getting a credit from the cruise line for the tour cost when I complained.

Thank you. That's good to know!

Sorry, completely missed this post last week.

There is a shuttle that takes you to downtown, but it's frankly horrible value at (last time I was there) $10pp. A cab to downtown is less than that, so with two or more of you it's better to just do it yourself (and if the weather is behaving, the walk is 20-30mins depending how close to the water you stay).

Victoria in the evening is not exactly a shopping mecca, but some stores will still be open at least during the earlier part of the evening (6 or 7pm) - there are plenty along Government & Douglas Streets within a few blocks of the harbour, including a mall (Bay Centre - but unless it's a Thu or Fri it'll be closed by 6pm...)

Thank you. There will be 4 of us and I believe it will be a Thursday evening.

Doesn't sound like a lot to do at night. And we are not interested in bars and nightclubs.

That actually sounds like fun! Is there a particular vendor we should look for? Also, silly question, but can we use US Dollars to pay for the tour or do we have to convert to CAD?

We paid in American money. Here are some reviews from TA and where you can get in touch with them

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154945-d1223596-Reviews-Ghostly_Walks_Walking_Tours-Victoria_Victoria_Capital_Regional_District_Vancouver.html

We do these where ever we go. been on some good ones and some bad ones. This one was particularly good. If you are into these sort of things, it does help the enjoyment level. :D:D:D

Cheers

Len

The Parliament Buildings will be lit up in the evening; this is a beautiful photo opportunity, along with the entire Inner Harbour. You'll enjoy walking around, maybe getting a coffee and just have a relaxing port stop.

Good idea, thanks. I wasn't sure about just walking around because I didn't know if the area where the boat docks is very good or not. I keep picturing a scary dock with the fog rolling in like in those old film noir movies. :rolleyes:

Good idea, thanks. I wasn't sure about just walking around because I didn't know if the area where the boat docks is very good or not. I keep picturing a scary dock with the fog rolling in like in those old film noir movies. :rolleyes:

I agree with Langley, take a wander into town, we have a gorgeous city to offer you. Ogden Point where the ships dock have some of the most expensive real estate in the city, you should be quite safe! I say should because things can happen any where, we would walk around there at night. There is a beautiful path long the water to the Inner Harbour, Google map it, definitely worth getting off the ship. The Parliament buildings and Empress alone are worth it.

ImageUploadedByForums1428586394.223586.jpg.a0b65eea494e3b8fb9d24ab020431db1.jpg

Thank you! I looked it up on Trip Adviser and people went on and on about how beautiful it was at night. Walking around for a little bit sounds like a nice way to spend the evening. I haven't been to Canada since I was about 10. I wish I had more time this trip!

The Parliament Buildings will be lit up in the evening; this is a beautiful photo opportunity, along with the entire Inner Harbour. You'll enjoy walking around, maybe getting a coffee and just have a relaxing port stop.

You are absolutely right. It is magnificent

Here are a few of my visuals of what you are referring to

Sun is setting over the inner harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain647.jpg

Parliament Building as it just got lit up

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain673.jpg

and a bit later on in the night

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain678.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thank you! I looked it up on Trip Adviser and people went on and on about how beautiful it was at night. Walking around for a little bit sounds like a nice way to spend the evening. I haven't been to Canada since I was about 10. I wish I had more time this trip!

If you need any other questions answered ask away, we've lived here for 20 years and was raised on the Island.

Len, stunning photos. I grew up in Victoria and lived there for 35 years. We didn't usually go downtown between May and September (no offense anyone! LOL). Between the tourists and the Tally-Ho horse carriages, it just wasn't worth the locals going into downtown. BUT... having said that, I do miss the beauty and charm of the Inner Harbour. :)

Len, stunning photos. I grew up in Victoria and lived there for 35 years. We didn't usually go downtown between May and September (no offense anyone! LOL). Between the tourists and the Tally-Ho horse carriages, it just wasn't worth the locals going into downtown. BUT... having said that, I do miss the beauty and charm of the Inner Harbour. :)

We're the same! So when we do go DT we feel like tourists, I'm still completely stunned every time we go at what a beautiful city this is. We do however go to Butcharts more often as it's 5 minutes from our house.