Need advice on best way to tour Copenhagen

What is the best way to tour Copenhagen? We’ll probably focus most on the major “must see” sights. Should we take a private tour or can we do a walking tour on our own? If a private tour, who do you recommend? If on our own, do you recommend the public transportation, and if so which one? (trains, bus, hop-on-hop-off bus, subway, ect.) Is the daily public transportation pass, if it exists, worth it? Or is this a walkable city?

Also, I have no sense of direction, is the city easy enough to navigate that I can go off on my own (so my husband can do other things I’m not interested in without me).

I found the hoho bus to be the most convenient. I purchased a 2 day pass which is not much more then the 1 day. When taking the hoho bus make sure you are at the palace just before noon time to see the changing of the guard. Ken...

Copenhagen--lucky you! We were there 5 days post cruise in June 07. Rick Steves had recommended a walking tour, Copenhagen Walks, with Richard Karpen. We decided to try one walk--liked it so well that we took 3 more. He makes the city come alive! And the price was right--75 Kroner. He leaves every morning at 10:30 from the TI across diagonally from the train station. One afternoon we toured the Rosenborg Palace with Richard to see the crown jewels--very interesting. You can check the schedule at copenhagenwalks.com. We also toured on our own as well..and the HOHO bus is a great idea. His groups were usually 10-15 people.

Also, as soon as you arrive in your hotel, check the Copenhagen This Week magazine (free). It actually gives the monthly schedule. We were able to see an opera at the new opera house and a concert in the Tivoli Theatre as a result of the information in that guide.

One more thing--make sure your hotel is airconditioned! Many are not--and even in early June, two of our days were in the low 90's (and two were in the low 60's!).

Have fun! :) :) :) :)

Copenhagen--lucky you! We were there 5 days post cruise in June 07. Rick Steves had recommended a walking tour, Copenhagen Walks, with Richard Karpen. We decided to try one walk--liked it so well that we took 3 more. He makes the city come alive! And the price was right--75 Kroner. He leaves every morning at 10:30 from the TI across diagonally from the train station. One afternoon we toured the Rosenborg Palace with Richard to see the crown jewels--very interesting. You can check the schedule at copenhagenwalks.com. We also toured on our own as well..and the HOHO bus is a great idea. His groups were usually 10-15 people.

Also, as soon as you arrive in your hotel, check the Copenhagen This Week magazine (free). It actually gives the monthly schedule. We were able to see an opera at the new opera house and a concert in the Tivoli Theatre as a result of the information in that guide.

One more thing--make sure your hotel is airconditioned! Many are not--and even in early June, two of our days were in the low 90's (and two were in the low 60's!).

Have fun! :) :) :) :)

Hi alcorjd:

Thanks for your thoughtful post here. Did you pre-book a Richard Karpen walking tour or just go to the starting point and join in?

Martha

Hi alcorjd:

Thanks for your thoughtful post here. Did you pre-book a Richard Karpen walking tour or just go to the starting point and join in?

Martha

We didn't prebook--just arrived at the TI ("catty-cornered" from both Tivoli and the train station) about 10 minutes early (around 10:20). I think I read that Richard also leads private tours; I imagine those need to be prebooked. He will also recommend restaurants and places to see ... Say hello from Joan and Bruce from northern Virginia--the couple who came back over and over the week of June 11th!

Enjoy!

Joan

We were in Copenhagen last Fall. It is a wonderful city. Great for walking which we like to do.

The first day we took an overview tour which we booked through the hotel. It was a nice tour and gave us an appreciation of where things were in the city. Then after lunch we started walking aroud the city which we continued to do the following day. We went to some of the places we had seen from the bus.

Again, it is a delightful city to walk around but I would recommend booking some type of overview tour.

I would recommend visiting Tivoli at night. It is all lit up and it's fun to walk around there when it is dark.

Keith

Copenhagen, Denmark

After our cruise, we spent 2 days in Copenhagen.

The Copenhagen card is available. It covers public transportation and museum fees.

Day 1 started with a bus tour that was included in our extension.

We, along with about 20 other buses, stopped for a brief photo stop at the Little Mermaid. "Little" does describe her, but a must see. We also saw the changing of the guards at the Amalienborg Palace Square at 12:00 noon.

In the afternoon, we walked to the Tivoli Gardens where we ate lunch and enjoyed the beautiful flowers. We returned in the evening to view the park with lights.

You must have an ice cream at the Tivoli, hmmmmm good.

Fireworks are on Wed & Sat @ around 12:00pm. We wanted to see them but were too tired.

Many of the museums are free on Wednesday. I haven't figured out why we waited until Thursday to go. lol

Day 2

Our first stop was the Rosenborg Castle and Gardens. It opens at 10:00am. You have to check your bags and they have free secure lockers.

Start with the tour of the crown jewels since everyone else started in the upper part. It is a self guided tour.

Next we hailed a taxi and went to the Christiansborg Palace.

Admission is by tour only and is limited to 40 people. Tour times are 11:00, 1:00 & 3:00. It is on a first come basis and they do not advance sell the tickets. We arrived at about 12:45 and had no problem getting tickets for the 1:00 tour.

After the tour, we had lunch and went on a 50 minute narrated Canal Tour.

We strolled and window shopped for the remainder of the evening.

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how far it is from the port to the airport in Copenhagen? I was going to book my outbound flights around noon, but wanted to be sure the airport isn't an unusually far distance away.

Thanks!

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how far it is from the port to the airport in Copenhagen? I was going to book my outbound flights around noon, but wanted to be sure the airport isn't an unusually far distance away.

Thanks!

I just got back from CPH on July 13th. The distance from the pier to the airport is not far at all. There are 2 piers in Copenhagen, Langelinie and Freeport. Langelinie is closer to the airport than is Freeport. I docked at Freeport. We got off the ship at 7:15 and were in a taxi and at the airport at 7:45 am. We had a 12:20 pm flight and had no problems at all. In fact, we were done checking in and at the gate before 9:00 am. The fare from the pier to the airport via taxi was 286 DKK. It will be cheaper if you are docked at Langelinie

Archived