Just off the Indy- People are rude.

ETOPS

I just got off the indy 12/14 and I have to say I seen some very rude people to the staff. On tues night I sat and watched a D+ person(made it well known) yell at the staff because their table was not next to the capt's. -Really? the boat had a lot of pinnacles on it and I never seen one complain. Another time I was passing in the hall and heard a person treating their room attendant like trash. Don't get me started on how the people treated GS desk.

I treated our room attendant like I would like to be treated and he always said hi and talked to us..He made the cruise!

People think they own the boat and the staff, most of the rude people I seen were D or D+, And they were very happy to tell you and the staff of there status. So you have been on a few cruise's but they don't owe you anything

I just got off the indy 12/14 and I have to say I seen some very rude people to the staff. On tues night I sat and watched a D+ person(made it well known) yell at the staff because their table was not next to the capt's. -Really? the boat had a lot of pinnacles on it and I never seen one complain.

It happens, but to me those kind of things are few and far in between, but on a ship with thousands of people on board they will frequently be one. As a passenger we don't have to see it nearly has often as the crew. I'd say the above is pretty rare even for a D+ ;) (kidding, proud to be almost diamond)

I

I treated our room attendant like I would like to be treated and he always said hi and talked to us..He made the cruise!

I always look after my Cabin steward.

He always looks after me.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn had to go on a bathroom break. False alarm, back again.

I just got off the indy 12/14 and I have to say I seen some very rude people to the staff. On tues night I sat and watched a D+ person(made it well known) yell at the staff because their table was not next to the capt's. -Really? the boat had a lot of pinnacles on it and I never seen one complain. Another time I was passing in the hall and heard a person treating their room attendant like trash. Don't get me started on how the people treated GS desk.

People think they own the boat and the staff, most of the rude people I seen were D or D+, And they were very happy to tell you and the staff of there status. So you have been on a few cruise's but they don't owe you anything

It's not only on the Independence but on any ship. Some people are just arrogant and/or believe that they are above everyone or all rules etc and they let it be known in various ways one of which is always announcing their status. In terms of the wait staff, it you're nice to them and smile and say hello, they help you and give you the best service.

This is Royal's way of controlling the problem - they book all the rude, verbally abusive pax on the Indy only.

All the other ships have nothing but pleasantries from everyone. Lots of rainbows, and unicorns, and hugs all around.

:D

There will always be a few people like that on every cruise. They feel entitled to do and say what they want and expect everyone to jump the minute they walk in the room. In short they are pompous, spoiled, and likely have more money than I will ever earn in my lifetime.

If they fit the above criteria they likely hire a cleaning service, landscaping service, pool boy, and might even have a cook, maid, or butler, hanging around as well in the house so that they can treat them the same as they do those on the ship. It pays to be prepared.

My guess is they were unhappy with the room steward because he refused to jump overboard and swim to shore and pick up the Egyptian linens, Charmin toilet paper, and Puffs with lotion Kleenex that they are accustomed to.

They will never learn that a little kindness goes a long way. Especially, when dealing with staff who work 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week for months at a time without a break. If I want a little bit more personal service I have also found that a green piece of paper with a dead president on it works wonders!

This is Royal's way of controlling the problem - they book all the rude, verbally abusive pax on the Indy only.

All the other ships have nothing but pleasantries from everyone. Lots of rainbows, and unicorns, and hugs all around.

:D

Thanks. I'll get plenty of use out of my Travis Bickle impersonation in January. :D

I don't think it has anything to do with how wealthy someone is, or their status with Royal. Some people are just rude and demanding.

Gwen :)

Absolutely. But it does make me cringe/laugh when someone makes a big deal out of their status.

I do think though for whatever reason people feel entitled when they are on a cruise and rude behavior is more common. Maybe it's because they think they paid so much, earned their status, or will never see these people again. Most people are absolutely awesome. But if I try to remember some of the most selfish and rude behavior I have encountered, most will have occurred on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cindivan

If they fit the above criteria they likely hire a cleaning service, landscaping service, pool boy, and might even have a cook, maid, or butler, hanging around as well in the house so that they can treat them the same as they do those on the ship. /QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with rudeness. We hire many of these positions and don't act this way at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wasn't aware that Diamond Plus brought much status on Royal Caribbean anymore. It seems to me that Pinnacle members and passengers sailing in larger suites have the most status on Royal. You need a gold SeaPass to throw your weight around with authority now. There are so many D+ these days, it seems that they have lost their prestige.

If they fit the above criteria they likely hire a cleaning service, landscaping service, pool boy, and might even have a cook, maid, or butler, hanging around as well in the house so that they can treat them the same as they do those on the ship. /QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with rudeness. We hire many of these positions and don't act this way at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good for you. My wife and I see it done EVERY day in our jobs. They berate their staff, babysitters, nannies, over the simplest and stupidest things. They do it even when strangers or others are present which I think is about as low as you can go. The incident the OP described on the cruise is the same type of scenario. I'm glad you treat your staff well.

Not to belabor the issue, but rude people are just that. They seem to really get around, though. I've seen them on cruises, airplanes, in cars, malls, stores and even just walking around. Fortunately, they are in the minority but they have a higher noise to person ratio than others.

And speaking of rude, dpostman might want to reconsider his/her rant. I had a Hummer that got better mileage than my crossover. I park in handicapped spaces because I have a disability. And If I leave the engine running it's for a good reason. Rude behavior also includes berating people you don't know based on you own stereotyped biases.

I was on the same cruise and we had a Pinnacle at our dinner table and she was just lovely. I think she had second most nights at sea on the cruise. She brought her chocolate piano (pinnacle thing?) to dinner one night and handed out christmas cards on the last night.

There will always be a few people like that on every cruise. They feel entitled to do and say what they want and expect everyone to jump the minute they walk in the room. In short they are pompous, spoiled, and likely have more money than I will ever earn in my lifetime.

If they fit the above criteria they likely hire a cleaning service, landscaping service, pool boy, and might even have a cook, maid, or butler, hanging around as well in the house so that they can treat them the same as they do those on the ship. It pays to be prepared.

My guess is they were unhappy with the room steward because he refused to jump overboard and swim to shore and pick up the Egyptian linens, Charmin toilet paper, and Puffs with lotion Kleenex that they are accustomed to.

They will never learn that a little kindness goes a long way. Especially, when dealing with staff who work 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week for months at a time without a break. If I want a little bit more personal service I have also found that a green piece of paper with a dead president on it works wonders!

Had a neighbor just like that - until the market crashed, their portfolio went belly up, and his company downsized him out the door (funny how arrogance doesn't sit well with your boss when times get tight). The house is in foreclosure, his wife took off with the pool guy, and his kids had to finish HS in the local public school (that did not end well). Karma can be a realB&^%h;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app