Excursion that includes the Naples museum?

Mademoiselle22

Hi everyone,

I'm looking over my options for my one day in the Port of Naples. I'm wondering if I should pick a tour for Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento

OR

Museum of Naples, Pompeii and Positano.

I've been to Naples before but will be traveling with my mom who is a first timer to the region. Went to Pompeii without a guided tour, which was a big mistake. This time around I will go with a private guide.

I was thinking of going to the Museum of Naples because it houses many of the treasures, frescoes, mosaics and statues from Pompeii and Herculaneum. Has anyone gone there before? Do you think going there for about 2hrs is enough time to experience it? Is it worth going there and sacrificing Sorrento?

What about picking Positano over Sorrento? I've been to both before. I leaned towards Positano because I enjoyed the beautiful cliff side views there, and really liked shopping there last time. I was hoping the tour could organize a cliff side lunch with a view at Positano, as they include it in other tours. I liked Sorrento too, but I felt that you need more time to explore there and it would be nice to take a ferry ride from there, which we won't have time to do.

I think the museum is absolutely worth a solid two-hour visit; you'll get a good sense of the place and its offerings.

Between Sorrento and Positano I'd go for Positano every time. I stayed in Sorrento for a week a few years ago and while it was lovely, to me it feels like there isn't much "there" there, as if you could scratch the surface and only find more surface.

The question will be how to lay out your day. It would be safer to save the museum, which is only a mile from the port, for the end of the day so you're close to the ship. However, that means doing something that requires standing and concentration at the end of the day, which may not work for you. Going to the museum first, on the other hand, shortens your day because it doesn't open until 9 AM ... assuming that your ship arrives at 7 AM that's a real waste of time.

Edited by euro cruiser

That's what I was thinking, saving the Museum for the end of the day. Get to Pompeii early in the morning, didn't think it would be a good idea to get there in the afternoon with all of the sun and the crowds. Go to the Positano for lunch and have time to explore. Then go to the Museum at the end. But you've given me something to think of, going to the Museum in the end of the day and standing for a couple of hours.

If the museum isn't a "must see" for you, your layout works perfectly as it allows you to make the decision on the fly. If you're up for it when you get back to Naples, great. If you're not, head back to the ship.

One other possibility that a private tour offers you is to drop off Mom at the ship if she not up for the museum at the end of the day, then have the driver bring you to the museum. You could have the driver wait for you to return to the ship or use public transit/walk back (it's a lovely downhill walk along a main shopping street, Via Toledo).

As usual, eurocruiser and I are in accord, both with seeing the museum and with skipping Sorrento.

The museum is VERY worthwhile, and you will have a chance to rest a bit on the drive from Positano back to Naples, so you should be able to tackle it without being overly tired. I particularly enjoy the frescoes and mosaics from Pompeii, Herculaneum and other sites, and the rooms with finds from the Villa dei Papiri in Herculaneum (some really fine bronzes). And of course the "wow" factor of the Farnese bull...

Edited to add: There is also a reasonable seating section in the main hall, just past the entrance. If your mom gets tired, she could wait for you there (and there are some nice sculptures to look at!)

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you so much euro cruiser and cruisemom42 for your very helpful feedback :)

I definitely want to see the Museum. I have a life-long fascination with Greek and Roman culture and did a Classics minor in college. I can also remember one of my favourite Classics professors mentioning that the Naples museum was a can't miss :D

I've gotten some interesting ideas from this discussion. I'm trying to set up a private excursion and fill it with about 8 ppl to keep costs down. I think it might be a good idea to offer about three options or so for the Naples part of the journey to increase the odds of filling the tour.

1) Naples museum and drive back to the Port

2) Neapolitan pizza dinner and drive back to the Port (the tour company can suggest a restaurant)

3) Drive back to the port

Another place to vist in Naples is the Royal Palace,we thought it would be a 20 min vist 2 hrs later we were still there its an amazing place

The Naples museum is fantastic as well.In fact the whole off Naples is fascinating once you get over the noise and traffic :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the museum *after* a tour of a site near Pompei. We had a guide in the museum, which was really helpful because there are so many wonderful things. We spent more than 2 hrs. there & felt we had covered the highlights but only because we had the guide.

Going to Positano or Sorrento could be a big mistake. Our tour group went to Ravello, stopping above Positano, but the traffic was horrendous & we got back 2 hours later than expected!:eek:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking over my options for my one day in the Port of Naples. I'm wondering if I should pick a tour for Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento

OR

Museum of Naples, Pompeii and Positano.

I've been to Naples before but will be traveling with my mom who is a first timer to the region. Went to Pompeii without a guided tour, which was a big mistake. This time around I will go with a private guide.

I was thinking of going to the Museum of Naples because it houses many of the treasures, frescoes, mosaics and statues from Pompeii and Herculaneum. Has anyone gone there before? Do you think going there for about 2hrs is enough time to experience it? Is it worth going there and sacrificing Sorrento?

What about picking Positano over Sorrento? I've been to both before. I leaned towards Positano because I enjoyed the beautiful cliff side views there, and really liked shopping there last time. I was hoping the tour could organize a cliff side lunch with a view at Positano, as they include it in other tours. I liked Sorrento too, but I felt that you need more time to explore there and it would be nice to take a ferry ride from there, which we won't have time to do.

That is a really hectic day. At least 2 hours for the Naples Museum--it is well worth a day--get yourself a "10 best Things to See and Do in Naples"--it lists the Naples Museum and the 10 best sculptures/statues to see at the museum. To me, it is well worth the sacrifice having been to Sorrento and Positano. However, each town has it's charm. Sorrento is cute, and good for leather goods. Positano--you just walk down from the top to the bottom, and there are LOTS of little "stores" along the way. In any case, you have to factor in travel time and back, as the roads get very crowded to Positano; and it's at least an hour from the ship to Sorrento. Hope this helps.....