Barcelona Proposed Gaudi Itinerary

Denverite

We have visited Barcelona before and this time have very specific things we want to see. We have done the HoHo bus, walked La Rambla and the Bari Gothic section, all in the rain.

We will be in Barcelona in November on a Thursday from 8am to 9pm. Here is what I have come up with so far.

(1) Cab from the port to Sagrada Familia (open 9am to 7pm, entrance fee 12.5 euros, extra tower lift charge 2.5 euros) - http://www.sagradafamilia.org

(2) Cab to Casa Mila (La Pedrera) (open 9am to 6:30pm, entrance fee 11 euros)

(3) Walk to Casa Batllo, about 3 blocks (open 9am to 8pm, entrance fee 17 euros - possibly view from outside if crowded) - http://www.casabatllo.es

(4) Walk from Casa Batllo down Passeig de Gracia, about 5 blocks to Placa de Catalunya - lunch somewhere depending upon time

(5) Walk or metro or cab to Palau de la Musica - 6 blocks or so??? - English tours on the hour from 10:00am to 3:00pm - tours last 50 minutes but only 55 people per tour. Must take a tour to get in - 12 euros - http://www.palaumusica.org

I would like to get advance tickets for Sagrada Familia and Palau de la Musica but you can only get tickets 2 weeks in advance for Sagrada and 1 week in advance for Palau, so perhaps while I am on the ship.

Any other ideas for something to do in the nearby area? Thanks for any suggestions.

We have planned a similar Gaudi-theme tour upon our return to Barcelona in June. Fortunately, we will have three full days in the city, plus a day trip to Montserrat. Therefore, in addition to your items & Park Guell, we also plan to visit:

Miralles Fence & Gaudi Statue

G_Tanca_Miralles_VG_2.JPG

Finca Guell + Gate + Statue of Hercules

Finca_Guell_muro_y_puerta.jpg

Bellesguard (Casa Figueras) – hopefully, the garden gate will be open, inviting access to the grounds)

bellesguard.jpg

Casa Vicens – interior only open on May 22

whole.jpg

Colonia Guell – short road trip to Santa Coloma de Cervello

cripta_de_colonia_guell28152.jpg

BTW – There are two elevators at La Sagrada Familia:

• Nativity Facade (55m) – the one Gaudi actually finished
    • cross over + walk down the spiral staircase in an adjacent tower

[*]Passion Facade (65m) – ride up & down

The Palace of Catalan Music is an incredible structure. But Gaudi had absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't know if that would impact your plans.

As far as Casa Batllo goes, it is most impressive touring the inside. It is worth an hour of your time.

Great list of Gaudi stuff. Agree you should add Parc Guell and include a visit to the small house on-site where Gaudi once lived. Don't miss the rooftop of Casa Mila. Palau de la Catalan Musica is not Gaudi, but definitely worth a guided tour or a concert if you're lucky.

Have you been in La Boqueria market? It's pretty amazing, you could have lunch there.

Indeed, you can have breakfast, lunch and take all kinds of dishes and tapas. There are several bars in the market but the most famous is "Pinocchio"

Thanks once again for everyone's comments. We originally had Parc Guell on our itinerary and may put it back on, depending upon time.

We realize the Palau de la Musica is not Gaudi-inspired and thus probably should have named the original posting Gaudi Itinerary and Other Things. This place really looked interesting so really wanted to include it.

We have walked through La Boqueria but have not eaten there, so thanks for the recommendation on Pinocchio.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

What a fun day!! The Palau de Musica was absolutely beautiful and worth an hour of your time...have you checked online to see if there are any performances the day you'll be there? We went to a concert which was a great way to experience it. I think it was about 15 euro pp, so not much more expensive than a tour and it only lasted about an hour, so not much more time out of your day either. I know I enjoyed it more than I would have enjoyed a tour! Come 20 minutes early (or stay 20 minutes afterward) and you can explore the building on your own a little (rather than being herded by your tour guide) and then take in the sights of the auditorium with music in the background :)

Archived