is the drink package worth the price

fotoguykev

I am amused by how many of the thread topics pertain to the drink packages.

That said, here is another one.

I am booked on a 12 night cruise and am considering the drink package options. Having never sailed Celebrity before, I do not know how they price their drinks.

Would the basic alcohol package (up to $6 per drink, I think) be sufficient to cover the cost of, say, the average "drink of the day?"....multiple times over?

I guess I am just trying to determine how many drinks per day one would need to consume to make it worth while?

I want to get my money's worth, but still remember the cruise.

We worked out that we would need to drink 7 drinks per day to come out on top.

We found this easy to do, even on port days.

We like the special coffees, beer in the afternoon, pre dinner drink, wine with our meal, port after the meal then maybe a cocktail or two in the evening.

We remember all the cruise!!!

It's also about convenience and enjoying your cruise. You can have whatever you want (within limits) whenever you want. A great way to vacation. And you don't have to sign receipts!

You can drink for less than the package costs of course, there are specials, happy hours, two for ones, buckets of beer where you buy 5 and get 6 etc.

I am booked on a 12 night cruise and am considering the drink package options. Having never sailed Celebrity before, I do not know how they price their drinks.

Would the basic alcohol package (up to $6 per drink, I think) be sufficient to cover the cost of, say, the average "drink of the day?"....multiple times over?

I guess I am just trying to determine how many drinks per day one would need to consume to make it worth while?

We have gotten the premium drink package on three different occasions and plan to get it again when we do B2B cruises on the Summit this october. We are not big drinkers and we never drink during the day. Even so,we have never even for a moment regretted purchasing the drink package.

There are a lot of sides in the question over whether the drink packages are worth the price.

On the surface the drink packages are expensive. That is a fact because I'm sure Celebrity priced them above the average cruisers spending on extra cost drinks when they were introduced a couple of years ago. After all, the only reason they would offer the packages would be to increase revenues and not decrease them. So I think from a purely economic standpoint the packages are best for those that consume, or would like to consume, above average quantities of the included beverages and those willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience.

With that said I'll say we've enjoyed having the NA Premium packages on our last two cruises even though the cost was slightly above our historical spending. It made the cruise very nice enjoying beverages we would not have otherwise enjoyed. We've never had the alcoholic packages because they don't include the types of wine we drink as we prefer the broader selection of the main wine list and don't drink enough other alcoholic drinks to make it worth it for us. We were to sail with the complimentary package this spring, and had looked forward to that, but can't sail this season for various reasons so we'll miss that experience.

As for whether the package will cover your typical drink of the day - the answer is generally yes. Here is a link to a tread where I discuss the differences between the classic and premium packages as far as drinks made with liquor are concerned: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38720801#post38720801

Everyone has a different rational but generally we believe the package is not is worth it for us for several reasons.

First, and in no order, many of our cruises are port intensive and we are off the ship from 8AM-4PM, and could never justify the cost for a few evening drinks.

Second, we find that as we get a bit older, we simply are drinking less perhaps having one cocktail in the evening and some wine with dinner. I no longer have that sugary drink(s) at the pool, and opt for water or club soda.

Third, because of our Captains Club Status we have free specialty coffee and limited alcohol in the morning, and then evening cocktails most nights. Even though it is complementary, I still only have one evening cocktail.

Forth, our bar bill is less than $300 for a typical 2 week cruise, and most of that is dinner wine. We would still order much of the dinner wine even if we have the classic package.

Fifth, we are satisfied with tap water and really do not need bottled water. I am not a soda drinker, except for perhaps a club soda.

With that said, while I doubt we would ever pay for any package, we are accepting the classic package as one of our two 123 benefits for an upcoming 14 night port intensive cruise. In fact, we considered just taking the $300 OBC to use when we want a drink. I understand we will be able to track our consumption of the various offerings and can determine if the package was a benefit, or the OBC would have been better. We’ll know for the next cruise.

You would have to look at your drinking habits to determine of the package is worth it. I did speak to a woman last cruise who had the package and was able try many different types of drinks she might not ordinarily order. She used the package as sort of a “drink tasting” option. Interesting concept.

Enjoy

M

I'm not much of a drinker other than a glass of wine with dinner and an occasional shot of whiskey. I do like being able to get my specialty coffee, frozen drinks and fresh squeezed juice. For that reason I purchased the premium non alcohólic plus a 3 bottle wine package. For $250 I think it's a good value. I did get the premium drink package for the hubby. We opted for the pre paid gratuity with the 123offer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

That's the bottom line, right?

What do YOU want to do?

If you want to let your hair down while on vacation and having a few beers or umbrella drinks by the pool helps you do that, then go ahead and get your freak on.

I buy the Beverage Package because the worse hangover I've ever had on a cruise was the day they delivered my statement and I saw all the charges on it!

I did the math for me and didn't find it to be a value overall. That is, I will likely break even or lose a dollar or two per day. However, I still bought the package as I know I'll be more likely to try things that I wouldn't otherwise try without the prepaid package.

I've found the same thing with Disney World and their dining plan. We spent a lot less money dining a la carte, but we ended up dining differently. We did more counter-service restaurants and fewer sit down meals and were less likely to indulge and explore knew things. Thus, even if it's not a bargain, it may be worth it in the end. For example, I wouldn't ordinarily try an espresso with granola, but being that it's prepaid I'm going to give it a try. I also like a cappuccino with dinner, but have only ordered them on HAL because they were included; I was never willing to pay for them a la carte. With the drink package, I can justify indulging.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the decision goes beyond the math and also goes to convenience and a change in your consumption.

It all depends on how much you want to drink on a cruise.

We have sailed about 25 times before having the drink package and never spent what the cost of a drink package would be.

There were times that I might have passed up having a drink because of the cost but it didn't ruin my cruise.

I have never purchased the package but have had it thru the promos. With it I naturally took advantage of it and drank more than normal.

If it wasn't offered as a promo I don't think that I would purchase one. I can survive with the coffee, and tap water that is offered, and a few buckets of beer plus taking advantage of the HH and drinks in the ports.

It all depends on what you value or want to do.

🌊🚢🌅🍸🍻

Thanks for your input, everyone. I suspect (for the sake of convenience) we will purchase the package.

One more question, are the tips included with the drink package? If I am not mistaken, I believe they add 15% to your drink for tip when you just charge it to your tab. True/false? I just don't want to suffer one of those end of cruise hangovers mentioned earlier.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I suspect (for the sake of convenience) we will purchase the package.

One more question, are the tips included with the drink package? If I am not mistaken, I believe they add 15% to your drink for tip when you just charge it to your tab. True/false? I just don't want to suffer one of those end of cruise hangovers mentioned earlier.

When you buy a package they add the 15% service charge up front to the purchase price of the package. So if you're buying the classic package at $49/night then your actual cost will be $56.35/night which is the $49 + a 15% add on.

If you get the package as part of a promotion then the gratuity is included just as if you had purchased the package. If you upgrade a package you'll be charged the 15% on the upgrade cost at the time you buy the upgrade.

Edited by Lsimon

The tips are included.

Don't forget.

If you buy the Classic package and order a drink that is $1+ over the maximum allowed under that package, you end up paying for the entire drink!

If you have the Premium package you only pay the difference.

That was something that was not clear to me until I got on board. I had to upgrade the package on board, which created another bunch of issues.

Make a list of what you think you would drink in a port day, and again for a sea day, then add up the approximate values and you will have a good idea.

I found the lists posted by a member on here - gambee - very very useful (thanks Gambee!) http://cruisewithgambee.com/celebrity-drink-lists/ for working out costs of drinks so I could make a rough calculation.

I, personally have never found these packages worthwhile...

BUT, it all depends on how much you drink!

It does take about 7 basic alcoholic drinks per day to pass the "break even point"...

Here's why I will never get there...and it's not that I don't drink:

I am an Elite Captain's Club member...So I get free pre-dinner drinks nightly in the Elite drinking hours lounge...

On a couple of nights per cruise, they have a "Captain's Welcome Party" or a "Captains Club Reception" where they pass out free drinks...

I often cruise in a Concierge cabin and they leave a bottle of champagne in your cabin for you...or sometimes someone gifts me a bottle of wine to the room...

As an Elite member, I get invited to a free Wine Tasting event...

I am not even on the ship to drink during the day while in port...and, in some of those ports, I will sample the local wines or beverages or even tour wineries or distilleries and sample drinks at those...or maybe have a drink with lunch off the ship...

So, any drinking of SEVEN drinks per day just to break even would be above and beyond THOSE drinks!

Some nights, I just don't even feel like drinking all that much...

Yes, I know that some people aren't "elite" and don't get as many free drinks as I do, BUT, you just need to analyze for yourself how much time you might spend on the ship and how much you might drink during that time...

And, then, you need to really think about whether it is really worth buying a "package" just to break even...

When you buy the basic package, you are restricted to drinks off a certain list...Sometimes, you may want to sample a "premium" drink...

You may find that, one night, you get back from port late, need time to dress for dinner and don't have time for pre-dinner drinks...and then decide to just have iced tea at dinner and, tired from touring, retire early...Now you are 7 drinks BEHIND on breaking even!

IMHO, if you are only going to break even...or even just barely beat breaking even, better to just pay "by the drink" and retain your "free agency" to drink what you want, how you want, when you want...Worst that happens is you find yourself a few dollars beyond the package price...More likely, you find your bar tab for the cruise is less than you would have spent on the package...

UNLESS you are one of those heavy drinkers that continually has a drink in his/her hand, hangs out by the pool all day ordering Mai Tais, sits in a lounge for 3 hours before dinner knocking back drinks, has a couple more during dinner and then heads to a bar post dinner...and then gets one "for the road"...Yeah, if you are drinking all the time, it pays...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Make a list of what you think you would drink in a port day, and again for a sea day, then add up the approximate values and you will have a good idea.

I found the lists posted by a member on here - gambee - very very useful (thanks Gambee!) http://cruisewithgambee.com/celebrity-drink-lists/ for working out costs of drinks so I could make a rough calculation.

I believe there has been a price increase since Gambee posted that drink list. Some of the wines-by-the-glass and beers on Gambee's list are cheaper than on other "drink lists" floating around on cruise critic. It's too bad that not all of these lists are date-stamped.

This one appears to be from December 2013, so I would assume it is a bit more current as of 2/27/2014 ... http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm#main

For us, we will just wait until we board in late March to see if an upgrade from classic to premium is worth it!

Edited by johnnycruise

I would say it depends on the couple, and more so on the cruise itinerary. We are doing the 12 day Baltic cruise in May, it is primarily very long port intensive days. For starts, my husband and I do not drink soda, juices, coffee or teas, we are for the most part water drinkers (with a sports drink every now and again on my husbands side) we do indulge in some adult beverages, wine with dinner mostly. And maybe a cocktail or two before dinner. We have found that with the 2 bottles of wine that we bring on board, in addition to some purchased cocktails in the 3 of our sea days, and maybe an additional bottle or so purchased on board with dinner, we really only end up spending a couple of hundred dollars on beverages not included. Which is far less than the cost of the drink package would have been for the both of us.

Now with that being said, if we were on a TA or even maybe in the Caribbean where the majority of the activities are relaxing on a beach, that might be a slightly different story. But when we are on Europe and hopping between museums and galleries on the daily, we just feel the money is better spend elsewhere.

I recall some one posting about how the would have 9 of so drinks just before dinner till the end of the night. That's not including 4 or more drinks before that time. The drinks package worked for them.

5-6 drinks A DAY is more than enough for me. We got a drinks package one cruise, figured out how much we needed to drink each day and while we broke even if was just too much. But that was for us. And those port days make it harder to reach your daily goal.

With an 11 night cruise coming in at over $740 it's just not worth it for us, but if you can drink 7-8 plus drinks a day you should consider it.

I like these packages, because without them l, my wife will rarely order a drink and even be upset with me if I go get her one. With an all-inclusive package, she'll calm down and enjoy the drinks, and we'll both have a ton of fun!

In "real life" I'd not want a package like this, but on vacation it's lots of fun. The finances are secondary to me...you'll win or lose by a little bit either way. It's more about how you want to vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is a good value, but you can get caught up in trying to drink enough to make up the cost. Remember that other forms of liquid are included in the package, so don't trying to do it all at the bar. At least that is what Sally is forcing me to do on the next cruise. I can't remember why she is being so forceful about it, but I'm gonna get a specialty coffee and orange juice each morning this summer. :D

Burt

Knowing the cost of my holiday upfront allows me to relax and enjoy the holiday a bit more. We tend to save money on the cabin as we use it for sleep and spend the money saved on the Premium Drinks Package. The Martini bar and Molecular bar make this very worthwhile for us.

Well, I booked the drink packages yesterday. In the end, I decided that my taste in booze is a little less "sophisticated" than my wife's, so I purchased the classic package for myself and the premium package for her. I suspect she will let me take a sip off her drink if it is something out of this world.

The convenience of not having to think about it will make it more enjoyable.

I seem to recall our bar tab being about the same amount on our last cruise, so...now the money is spent. The only thing left to do is wait.

We've tried to work it out but there is NO WAY that we would get our "money's worth" from a drink package. We've booked a trans Atlantic on Aqua class, so there's the tea and water to keep hydrated. We plan to bring diet soda on board and may purchase a drink or two in the evening. We are doing a second "lap" (B2B) in the Med which is very port intensive. I'm not sure we can tour all day and get our money's worth in the evening AND get up early the next day for a tour. Really not cost effective for us.

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise!:eek: It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not:D A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!:rolleyes:

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance:p.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin. As other have said, to each his own, it works for us, we think you made a good choice.