Sand Castle On The Beach-St Croix-been there?

SeaWatch12

The first port on our upcoming Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean cruise is St Croix. I found that the Sand Castle On The Beach resort offers a cruise passenger day pass. I saw on the resort's web site that they belong to IGLTA. So has anyone ever been there as a resort guest or on a day pass? if so, how was it?

Thanks, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, we have not been to the Sand Castle on The Beach resort, but we did spend a week in St. Croix several years ago. I would recommend renting a car and driving around the island. It's a small island but very different from one end to the other....eastern desert and western rain forrest.

Your U.S. drivers license is valid, but it takes a little adjusting to drive on the left side of the road. The cars are left-side drive, like we have in the U.S. but you do drive on the left side of the road. I did pretty good until I turned into a divided drive and automatically used the right side, :eek:.

Make sure you pick up some Cruzan rum! :cool:

My partner and I stayed there several years ago when it was under a different name/management. We had an enjoyable time at the property which from the website looks like it's undergone some renovations and additions. The beach and beachfront restaurant are absolutely great.

The only drawback, and of course remember this was years ago, was the fact that the front office warned us not to venture too far down the beach and if we went out at night to travel in a small group. Again, this was back then and times may have changed.

If you're up to it, definately get a rental car as there is so much to explore on St. Croix.

Thank you for you responses.

A friend at work, who has lived in St Croix, recomended Hotel On The Cay in Christiansted. I was interested in Sandcastle as it has an ad in the Advocate and shows IGLTA membership on their website. Also, Sandcastle is closer to where the ship is docked.

Thank you for you responses.

A friend at work, who has lived in St Croix, recomended Hotel On The Cay in Christiansted. I was interested in Sandcastle as it has an ad in the Advocate and shows IGLTA membership on their website. Also, Sandcastle is closer to where the ship is docked.

IF you are looking for a nice beach day at a welcoming place Sandcastles is it. Not a large bustling place but good drinks, food, friendly staff and a nice sandy beach within walking distance of the pier or a $6 roundtrip bus ride.

Writing this while overlooking Toulon, France from our balcony on the new Reflection!

Have a great cruise on the Summit - when are you on her? - we may be back by then!

Richard

IF you are looking for a nice beach day at a welcoming place Sandcastles is it. Not a large bustling place but good drinks, food, friendly staff and a nice sandy beach within walking distance of the pier or a $6 roundtrip bus ride.

Writing this while overlooking Toulon, France from our balcony on the new Reflection!

Have a great cruise on the Summit - when are you on her? - we may be back by then!

Richard

Richard,

You must be on the Reflection's first transatlantic to Miami, I am so jealous!

My friend at work who lived In St Croix, was on the innagural Reflection cruise last month.

We are not booked on the Reflection until Nov 2013 with the Pied Piper post Thanksgiving cruise.

I am glad to hear that Sandcastle would be a good place to spend the day. Hopefully there won't be alot of other ships docked that day causing it to be to crowded-I am so looking forward to a relaxing vacation.

We will be in St Croix on the Summit on Sunday Dec 9th.

Enjoy the rest of your journey,

Mark

Mark, you are welcome. We've used the site for awhile now as always good to know how crowded the port will be when making plans. Interestingly, for our upcoming Ruby Princess cruise we are the only ship in port at our St. Thomas stop. I can't remember ever being the only ship in St. Thomas!

Archived