Dream Captain from today

Is the fabulous Roy Dearman.

Just had a phonecall from my very good friend & cabin steward Ady whilst Dream was sailing out of Palma to fill me in on a few bits. 7 days & counting :D

Is the fabulous Roy Dearman.

Just had a phonecall from my very good friend & cabin steward Ady whilst Dream was sailing out of Palma to fill me in on a few bits. 7 days & counting :D

I thought he had retired :confused: I wish he had been on when we were on :rolleyes:

The new captain was supposed to be the chap who has been staff captain on the Celebration for the last couple of years, but whose name I'm afraid escapes me. Perhaps Roy is facilitating the change for a few weeks.

The new captain was supposed to be the chap who has been staff captain on the Celebration for the last couple of years, but whose name I'm afraid escapes me. Perhaps Roy is facilitating the change for a few weeks.

No idea Grez, all I know is Ady called me at 10pm uk time as we'd been talking on iPad & I said I was watching the webcam. I asked who the captain is & he said they had changed over today (yesterday obviously lol) & it was the German one??? Can't remember his name, & now it was Roy Dearman :) Don't really care about the why's & where fors just happy I got the captain I hoped for :D:D:D

Captain Torsten Olbrich - I thought he was brilliant with his salty sea dog stories which equally horrified and delighted the passengers. A marmite captain

Captain Dearman told us he was retiring years ago. It must be part of his interview technique. He is of course Thomsons senior captain as they don't have influence over the Louis ships. If he retires who will be senior captain? Captain Torsten :D

Anyone remember Captain Alan Leach? I liked him, a good sense of humour. The crew called him Sir Alan.

I thought he had retired :confused: I wish he had been on when we were on :rolleyes:

We had him a few years ago out of Corfu either Spirit or Celebration,he was lovely spoke to him a few times, was hoping he would be on Spirit this year,never mind.

We had him a few years ago out of Corfu either Spirit or Celebration,he was lovely spoke to him a few times, was hoping he would be on Spirit this year,never mind.

We never saw him, apart from the formal night and he said he couldn't shake hands with passengers because of his hand. Last year on the Dream, he said he had injured it and this year he said it was better but his doctor told him not to shake hands or he would damage it again. I think the real reason is infection control, though why they don't say that I don't know :rolleyes:

Last year on the Dream he didn't even come to formal night as, apparently, he had a cold. He was never seen around the ship and the joke was that he wasn't really on board and it was just recordings we were hearing :D He did however turn up for the formal night on the second week and we were all reassured :D

Roy Dearman was captain on our first cruise and so, of course, we have a soft spot for him :)

As I said when we came back last year people on board thought Dearman was my sons grandfather as they became really close. Hoping he's on in Aug too when the kids are with me x

Captain Torsten Olbrich - I thought he was brilliant with his salty sea dog stories which equally horrified and delighted the passengers. A marmite captain

Captain Dearman told us he was retiring years ago. It must be part of his interview technique. He is of course Thomsons senior captain as they don't have influence over the Louis ships. If he retires who will be senior captain? Captain Torsten :D

Anyone remember Captain Alan Leach? I liked him, a good sense of humour. The crew called him Sir Alan.

dave alan leach is now working as a captain for windstar cruises, the sea called him back

I like Captain Torsten. His daily tannoy greetings "laideez und gentlemen, let me tell you a story" ...........our proud white lady..........

"I`m from Hamburg, I was brought up in Hamburg so that makes me a hamburger."

staff captain on celebration is/was (I believe) capt richard watkins

captain torsten's sea stories are hilarious....always looked forward to the pre sailing captains speechs

captain roy is a great captain and often to be seen taking his meals in the buffet with the rest of us

my favourite was the scottish captain on island escape....whose name escapes me?? ) is it bathgate?) he used to put on a little show during the cocktail receptions before introducing the staff crew (duelling banjos with a coat hanger):cool:

We had a little Greek captain in charge on the Destiny both times we sailed. He was stood at the front of the ship in a little sticky out bit shouting at a harbor pilot. They were both going for it in a disconcerting way. Anyway we made it into the harbor and I held back from casually putting on my life jacket and went for breakfast instead. That was the only time we saw him. The daily announcements were always made by the cruise director.

Was he on the Celebration in 2008? I think he may have been captain when we did Colourful Coasts in December 2008 :confused:

We sail with him a few time including his famous sail out of Liverpool on the Celebration, I think it was 9 October 2008. Would love to sail with him again. He used to give out the Strictly results out over the tannoy on the Saturday night. :)

Yes we like Capt Olbrich too - he had a dry sense of humour and I always thought he came over as very personable and approachable. His smile seemed genuine and the crew liked him from what some told us.

And yes - do I remember Alan Leach? The very very best ever! Now there was a man who knew and cared for his crew. He once told us he knew about 80% of his crew by name - and true enough when he was around the ship (a lot) you could hear him addressing staff by name and asking after them and often their families too. Good for him! :)

The crew raved about him. One told me he and his wife were just getting off the ship ready for going home on vacation and Capt Leach was at the gangway too. Capt Leach did no more than take the wife's baggage off her and carry it to the coach for her. Such a gent!!! He was very straight talking.

I often wonder what became of him - clearly there was a parting of the ways with Thomson but what a treat if he were to come back - but not likely is it? :( But to me he seemed to fit so well with the warmth and friendliness of Thomson - wonder how Windstar compares. But our loss and all that.....................

Yes we like Capt Olbrich too - he had a dry sense of humour and I always thought he came over as very personable and approachable. His smile seemed genuine and the crew liked him from what some told us.

And yes - do I remember Alan Leach? The very very best ever! Now there was a man who knew and cared for his crew. He once told us he knew about 80% of his crew by name - and true enough when he was around the ship (a lot) you could hear him addressing staff by name and asking after them and often their families too. Good for him! :)

The crew raved about him. One told me he and his wife were just getting off the ship ready for going home on vacation and Capt Leach was at the gangway too. Capt Leach did no more than take the wife's baggage off her and carry it to the coach for her. Such a gent!!! He was very straight talking.

I often wonder what became of him - clearly there was a parting of the ways with Thomson but what a treat if he were to come back - but not likely is it? :( But to me he seemed to fit so well with the warmth and friendliness of Thomson - wonder how Windstar compares. But our loss and all that.....................

I understand he did a few shore jobs but as mentioned above is now back at sea as a captain with windstar cruises.

We sail with him a few time including his famous sail out of Liverpool on the Celebration, I think it was 9 October 2008. Would love to sail with him again. He used to give out the Strictly results out over the tannoy on the Saturday night.

I remember that! Was that the cruise that ‘went to nowhere’ - or were you on as he sailed into his home port from the relocation? If ever anything in the Thomson cruises history caused a bigger furore than that cruise out of Liverpool (or not!) I've yet to hear of it!

We were on the Channel cruise out of Harwich to Liverpool and we encountered some wild seas then. Capt Leach had to ditch Zeebrugge (I've still got Bruges on my wish list!) and make a run for Le Havre Harbour and hole up there. Looking at the way the sea was crashing over the harbour walls I can say I was more than happy to be in port and not bobbing around on the sea! Right call!

That was the occasion we had a Deck 1 outside and an engineer came at midnight to batten down the hatches - or more correctly the porthole. I was never so relieved. It was like being in a washing machine! We surfaced briefly then disappeared below the water line for extended periods! Bit scarey! But quite an experience!

I remember that! Was that the cruise that ‘went to nowhere’ - or were you on as he sailed into his home port from the relocation? If ever anything in the Thomson cruises history caused a bigger furore than that cruise out of Liverpool (or not!) I've yet to hear of it!

We were on the Channel cruise out of Harwich to Liverpool and we encountered some wild seas then. Capt Leach had to ditch Zeebrugge (I've still got Bruges on my wish list!) and make a run for Le Havre Harbour and hole up there. Looking at the way the sea was crashing over the harbour walls I can say I was more than happy to be in port and not bobbing around on the sea! Right call!

That was the occasion we had a Deck 1 outside and an engineer came at midnight to batten down the hatches - or more correctly the porthole. I was never so relieved. It was like being in a washing machine! We surfaced briefly then disappeared below the water line for extended periods! Bit scarey! But quite an experience!

I followed that bizzare episode closely and must say IMO Captain Leech made the correct decisions. The weather was awful and just getting the ship out of Langton dock would have been a dangerous excercise.

He left Thomson shortly afterward but I don't think it was bacause of the cruise to nowhere, although that might have reinforced his decision to have a break from the sea. He told us at the captains questions that the pinnacle of his career would be piloting his own ship into Liverpool. As a Liverpool bay 'pilot' he was allowed to do this.

staff captain on celebration is/was (I believe) capt richard watkins

captain torsten's sea stories are hilarious....always looked forward to the pre sailing captains speechs

captain roy is a great captain and often to be seen taking his meals in the buffet with the rest of us

my favourite was the scottish captain on island escape....whose name escapes me?? ) is it bathgate?) he used to put on a little show during the cocktail receptions before introducing the staff crew (duelling banjos with a coat hanger):cool:

And he used to feed a quay side dog its breakfast as well in Corfu.

I was told by an assistant cruise director that Thomsons got ride of him because he spent too much time in Liberties. The current Staff Captain on the Celebration spends a lot of time in Liberties too!

Archived