Smoking - New Policy?

BristolGolfer

For our upcoming extended voyages we have just downloaded the Preliminary Document & read the 'Non-Smoking Policies'

Within that paragraph it states:

...no smoking on Verandas on guest suites (Categories V1 or higher including CS and OW)

Is this new?

Regards

V & H

Hopefully what you have received is a new policy as there is nothing worse than being accosted by a neighbour smoking whilst you are out enjoying time on your veranda. Unfortunately, the Seabourn website still states the following:

On Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn & Quest:

Inside smoking of cigarettes will be permitted in the port-side half of the Observation Bar on Deck 10 after 8 PM.

Outside smoking of cigarettes is permitted:

• On the verandas of guest suites
  • On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 including the bar stools
  • On the starboard half of the open terrace aft of The Club on Deck 5

Outside smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars is permitted on the starboard side of the open terrace aft of Seabourn Square of Deck 7. This is the only area on board where pipe and cigar smoking is permitted.

Guests are asked to refrain from smoking pipes and cigars anywhere inside the ship, including in guest suites, on verandas and balconies. If you have any doubts about any area, please consult your onboard staff.

Any guest who smokes inside staterooms in violation of our policy will be charged a US$250 cleaning fee per day of violation.

For our upcoming extended voyages we have just downloaded the Preliminary Document & read the 'Non-Smoking Policies'

...no smoking on Verandas on guest suites (Categories V1 or higher including CS and OW)

Is this new?

Regards

V & H

Vince,

What date is your sailing as this will give non smoking sailors something to look forward to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vince,

What date is your sailing as this will give non smoking sailors something to look forward to.

Hi Mr L.

Doing January 4th next year Cape Town to Singapore for 30 days followed by Singapore to Singapore for 40 days...hard life eh!!

If anyone wants a copy of the PDF policy then email me vgr at vhsholdings dot com

Vance

Well, well, well...

Logic and common sense prevail with this new policy. Cleaner air on all verandas for everyone to enjoy! Who.can.argue.with.that?

BristolGolfer, it will be good to see you again in 2015 as we join in Singapore.

Happy sailing!

Hi Mr L.

Doing January 4th next year Cape Town to Singapore for 30 days followed by Singapore to Singapore for 40 days...hard life eh!!

If anyone wants a copy of the PDF policy then email me vgr at vhsholdings dot com

Vance

Thanks Vince,I get off as you get on,I have friends that are doing the 44 days starting Jan4th

I wonder if my trip has the same smoking restrictions? perhaps it starts in 2015

Hopefully posters will tell us once they have their documents.

Well, well, well...

Logic and common sense prevail with this new policy. Cleaner air on all verandas for everyone to enjoy! Who.can.argue.with.that?

BristolGolfer, it will be good to see you again in 2015 as we join in Singapore.

Happy sailing!

Looking forward to meeting up again.

V & H

Don't know where OP got the info but......

I just got off the phone with Seabourn guest services. According to the young woman I spoke with, the only change to the smoking policy is that you may no longer smoke in your suite. Smoking is still allowed on the verandas!!! They are asking smokers to keep their veranda doors shut while smoking.

She said because of the "push back" from the European guests they are sticking with the current status quo.

I for one am very disappointed!!!

Don't know where OP got the info but......

I just got off the phone with Seabourn guest services. According to the young woman I spoke with, the only change to the smoking policy is that you may no longer smoke in your suite. Smoking is still allowed on the verandas!!! They are asking smokers to keep their veranda doors shut while smoking.

She said because of the "push back" from the European guests they are sticking with the current status quo.

I for one am very disappointed!!!

The OP is not sailing until Jan4th next year

I suspect that the new policy comes into force about then.

The current policy which we all know is still allowing smokers to smoke on the balcony and a couple of other places

Edited by Mr Luxury

Sometimes people that you talk to at a company do not know everything that is going on or what is going to change.

The OP read the documentation for his upcoming cruise and printed it off and kindly let the rest of us know his findings.

When I print off my docs for my Christmas trip I will also have a look to see if the smoking policy has changed by the time I go,if it hasn't then I'm not that bothered as I have never been inconvenienced by a smoker on a Seabourn ship.

Like Mr L, I guess that not all Seabourn staff know what's changing but they always know what's been. And the change that BristolGolfer has seen on his particular grand voyage is change and indicative of what's to come, no doubt.

That's what the market demands (see Seabourn's competitors" policies) and this is a shrewd way of introducing it: to and for those lucky and loyal enough to go on such a long cruise AND who would appreciate a no smoking on verandas rule.

That's a change all of us who breathe air can live with. The rest will be heading to the open deck rear of Seabourn Square or the area near the Sky Bar, both starboard side.

Now maybe your May cruise will have this policy in place too. If I were on it I would hope so.

Happy sailing!

Is this new?

Regards

V & H

Apologies to all...have had an aged moment.

Have just re-read the non-smoking policies and "smoking IS permitted on verandas and observation lounge after 8pm"

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

V

I am sorry, but it is now less clear than before.

The first statement in your original email was given as:

no smoking on Verandas on guest suites (Categories V1 or higher including CS and OW).

The second, corrected statement reads:

smoking IS permitted on verandas and observation lounge after 8pm.

The two are not remotely similar -it does not appear to be a question of not seeing/miissing out a word ortwo.

I apologise for being a pedant, but what did the first statement you quoted actually say?

Secondly, the new statement, as given, would imply that smoking is only permitted on verandas after 8.00 pm.

I am sorry, but it is now less clear than before.

The first statement in your original email was given as:

no smoking on Verandas on guest suites (Categories V1 or higher including CS and OW).

The second, corrected statement reads:

smoking IS permitted on verandas and observation lounge after 8pm.

The two are not remotely similar -it does not appear to be a question of not seeing/miissing out a word ortwo.

I apologise for being a pedant, but what did the first statement you quoted actually say?

Secondly, the new statement, as given, would imply that smoking is only permitted on verandas after 8.00 pm.

Again...humble apologies...smoking IS permitted on verandas at any time & after 8pm at the Observation Lounge.

V

Again...humble apologies...smoking IS permitted on verandas at any time & after 8pm at the Observation Lounge.

V

Looks like this holiday can't come soon enough for you Vince.

I would recommend that you don't sign anything that is put in front of you at the moment.

Still you got everyone's hopes up.