Do first timers get shut out of activities?

MCManders99

Since first time cruisers are the last to book for certain onboard activities, do they get shut out of certain things or are they left with the worse times? I'm not booked yet but thinking of going in October 2016. I just want to see if many first timers get any of these activities online before boarding?

It depends on what you mean by "activities." And in part it depends on the length of your cruise.

If you want a cabana, you are unlikely to get one on the day your booking window opens. BUT if you are diligent on line, you might nab one that someone else canceled.

If you mean stuff like spa appointments or adult dining, it depends on how flexible you can be. If you want dinner in Palo at 8 pm on Thursday...you are more likely to get it after boarding. However, if you want Palo on Thursday, you might get it. Remember that about half of these reservations are held back till after boarding. Want a stone massage at 2 pm on Tuesday--maybe not on line. But want a massage on Tuesday--probably get it. Again, always try on board for anything you couldn't get in advance.

Excursions--not usually a problem. Tastings--Guest Services after boarding.

I think to a degree, the early booking advantage is really just something that DCL can offer CC members despite it frequently not mattering. I'm CC Gold and rarely book anything ahead of time. I'm not suggesting this will never be a factor, but it isn't something I'd worry much about. Excursions have cancellations, Remy/Palo have slots left open for embarkation day, and rentals on Castaway Cay are plentiful (sans cabanas). DCL wouldn't want to shut out first timers from bookings they want, or there wouldn't be as many CC members/repeat cruisers.

Thank you. The cruise I want to do is the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy in Oct 2016. DD would want to do BBB - most likely on formal night. I think I would want to do a Palo Bruch (I know they are popular) but with 3 sea days I am hopeful.

Thank you. The cruise I want to do is the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy in Oct 2016. DD would want to do BBB - most likely on formal night. I think I would want to do a Palo Bruch (I know they are popular) but with 3 sea days I am hopeful.

For brunch, while they are very popular, there are always cancellations, no-shows, changes, etc to specialty dining. If you're not able to get it in advance, simply check with the specialty dining persons in Royal Court as soon as you board and they can see what is available and if need be, put you on a waiting list (which frequently pans out).

On a 7 night cruise (or longer) you are MUCH more likely to get what you want simply based on numbers. There are the same number of guests on the Dream and the Fantasy BUT 3 times as many sea days on the Fantasy. Anything you can't get on line in advance has a chance of being booked on board. And do re-check on line. People can cancel up to 3 days before cruising; if you look at the right time, you may see exactly what you want!

We are first timers for our cruise next week, but when our online booking window came open, I was able to make Palo dinner reservations with no problem. I guess we are "early" eaters, at 6pm, but when I was making the reservations, there seemed to be plenty of other times available. Also at that time I was able to book the Remy brunch, but we later decided that was not for us. Palo brunch was not available at that time, but I kept checking back and a few days later I was able to make a Palo brunch reservation.

We have a group of 11 leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving - all first time with Disney.

We were able to get some of the activities we wanted - Palo, exact time and day, massages on Castaway Cay, nursery time; but not others - BBB at a reasonable time (will try again onboard), Cabana -lol, didn't even want or try ;).

We did not even look at any DCL port adventures as we are DIY people.

None of the things we want to do would make or break our cruise enjoyment.

When we first cruised, we were fortunate to be with a couple who had been on a couple times before us. And they were both cast members who guided us thru the process.

Even then, after 4 or 5 cruises, we still found moments when "I didn't know that was there". Reading these cruise blogs really do help a new person with knowing what goes fast and what doesn't. I don't know how many cruises I was on before I learned I could buy a Rainforest pass ahead of time, online, in my DCL login area under Gifts. After a couple cruises of not being able to buy a day on board, I started buying them before I cruise.

You already have a good start on knowing what is ahead of you.

This is one thing I don't like about DCL. You are at a disadvantage and there will be some things not available to you. Even as a Silver member booking 90 days out, there were no cabanas available online for my upcoming trip. On my first DCL a cruise, finding a Palo brunch was not possible online. One was found once on board, but the time wasn't very ideal. Had to move around something else planned. There were also some Disney exclusive excursions that were already full.

DCL does try to hold some things in reserve and there are always cancellations, but this is only a problem on DCL.

We've been on two Disney Cruises and were able to secure the excursions and dinner reservations that we had wanted 90 days out online for both (including our first cruise out of NY). As someone stated earlier, cabanas for Castaway Cay tend to go fairly quickly since Gold members tend to snatch them up. Also, if you're hoping for spa treatments some of the more desirable times may no longer be available but if you're flexible other times may be.

Keep checking the website prior to sailing as things tend to unexpectedly appear (brunch at Remy's, only available on sailings of four days or more, was added without fanfare to our three day cruise). Also, after boarding, ask if there are any events or activities that are not listed that may be available (the Princess Breakfast is a free activity that is never listed anywhere).

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
As someone stated earlier, cabanas for Castaway Cay tend to go fairly quickly since Gold members tend to snatch them up. Also, if you're hoping for spa treatments some of the more desirable times may no longer be available but if you're flexible other times may be.

Enjoy!

If there are any cabanas left when the gold booking window opens, that's something of a miracle. There are very few cabanas compared to the number of cabins on the ship, and most are reserved by concierge level guests before anyone else has a chance at them. Despite officially having the same booking window, concierge guests can notify the shoreside concierge in advance of their booking window of their desires and will have those reservations pulled from

the web before the window even opens to platinum Castaway Club. Gold comes 15 days after concierge and platinum--by then it is a "chance" thing BUT as above, people do cancel. A cabana can open up at any time prior to booking (on line reservations close 3 days before embarkation) and are sometimes even available after boarding.

Other than a cabana, BBB, or a very particular time request for a service or activity, it is unusual to have difficulty getting what you want...but it may not happen in advance.

Yes. New people are put at the bottom of the list and often times they are even thrown overboard if they are whining too much. :) Cruising is a rough business.

But the real answer is what others have said. Book your activities online as soon as your window opens up. Sometimes you have to do this at midnight!

But the real answer is what others have said. Book your activities online as soon as your window opens up. Sometimes you have to do this at midnight!

And then keep checking back for anything you didn't get at the first attempt. Seriously, MANY people cancel things on line before the cruise. It is a matter of seeing what you want at the time it opens up!

We are planning an extended family Fantasy cruise. First timers on Disney. Will our young ones have any problems getting Into activities with the characters or similiar activities? I'm not worried about adult reservations. We are trying to learn. Thanks

We are planning an extended family Fantasy cruise. First timers on Disney. Will our young ones have any problems getting Into activities with the characters or similiar activities? I'm not worried about adult reservations. We are trying to learn. Thanks

I don't remember any children's activities that you sign up for based on cruiser status. There will be no difference once onboard. Everything is pretty much first come first served.

It seems like Disney's Reward Program really isnt that great. I know Disney loyalists dont book cruise after cruise for the reward program. We are not enrolled in the program yet because our first Disney cruise is in Jan, but is the only advantage to moving up in tiers the ability to spend more money further out?

Thoughts?

..... is the only advantage to moving up in tiers the ability to spend more money further out? .....

That is hilarious. :D

Hadn't heard that one.

Outside of early booking on newly released sailings, early online checkin, priority port checkin & boarding, and Palo dinner ...... pretty much.

There are few kid activities that require tickets or reservations. Check at the desk for tickets to see the Frozen characters. You can even ask if there are any other character things that require tickets, but normally there are not. These are not available before boarding--you go to Guest Services on day 1. On the Christmas cruise, there is a gingerbread house activity that needs a ticket. I do not thing the Fantasy has the "Tea with whomever" activity that the Magic did--again, verify at the Guest Services desk.

On our last cruise, the only kid activity needing ticket was meeting Elsa and Anna.

There are few kid activities that require tickets or reservations. Check at the desk for tickets to see the Frozen characters. You can even ask if there are any other character things that require tickets' date=' but normally there are not. These are not available before boarding--you go to Guest Services on day 1. On the Christmas cruise, there is a gingerbread house activity that needs a ticket. I do not thing the Fantasy has the "Tea with whomever" activity that the Magic did--again, verify at the Guest Services desk.

On our last cruise, the only kid activity needing ticket was meeting Elsa and Anna.[/quote']

Thanks so much, this info is very helpful. We will go to desk services on day 1.

I hit my 72 day window at midnight. I am usually up later than that so I went ahead and logged in so I could do my online check-in and make my other reservations. I got a PAT between 1130 and noon. I also got all the excursions I was hoping for. It is just my DD16 and I on this trip so no adult reservations needed. All in all I was done before 1230 and now I guess I just sit and dream. lol

• 2 weeks later...
For brunch, while they are very popular, there are always cancellations, no-shows, changes, etc to specialty dining. If you're not able to get it in advance, simply check with the specialty dining persons in Royal Court as soon as you board and they can see what is available and if need be, put you on a waiting list (which frequently pans out).

Good advice.