Volendam, Zaandam cabins 6100 & 6102

cabinclass

Just wondering if any of you have sailed in either of these cabins. The lady I spoke to today at HAL really couldn't answer any of my questions, but she did say that those two cabins were the first category D cabins to sell. Seems to me they would be nice ones, close to an observation deck, and 6102 has two windows. The cabins are irregularly shaped. Is this an issue, or are the cabins "hot" ones? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. (Am thinking about one of these cabins for Alaska.)

Many thanks,

cabinclass

I have heard negative comments about these cabins. They are in the front so they will bounce more in bad weather. Some people have complained about noise from the show lounge below. And it has been reported that the layout is funny with slopping ceilings. On the other hand, the location is great and the view would be good. The observation deck in the front gets very windy but the cabin window is up too high for anyone to see in.

The observation deck would most likely obstruct any view of the ocean from those rooms.

Also, the double doors to the observation deck are right outside these rooms.

The outer door tends to slam with the strong winds, whenever someone goes out.

You may find that annoying.

Also, the observation deck does not have any chairs, benches, etc. so it really isn't like having a balcony.

• 3 years later...

We have these cabins for our upcoming August cruise. First time I have not had a balcony, so I'm a bit leary, but we wanted this amazing itinerary for this 14 day cruise. Hoping it's not too bad. Good point about the outside door slamming. Glad we don't have 6102! :rolleyes:

There are photos of these cabins on Joanie's sticky at the top of the HAL boards - can't remember the exact title - "HAL Cabins/staterooms" or something like that. I believe Rev. Neal sailed in one of them if I'm not mistaken??? Check out the sticky thread and scroll down to the Navigation Deck. Personally, I would love one of those cabins, and had thought about booking for our 14 day HAL Alaska cruise like Globug did, but was concerned aobut the rough ride in and out of Seattle, and also in the Gulf of Alaska, so instead we went w/7056 on Amsterdam (there are similar cabins on Volendam) on the aft of the Navigation Deck - and outside w/small public little used balcony right out the door. If we hadn't been able to get that, we would probably have given those forward cabins a shot - seasickness worries be damned!;)

Ugh. Seasickness. I get sea sick easily, but thought that I might not have an issue like that because I usually get sick when we leave SF and make that dreaded right turn up the coast. I may be sleeping in the atrium! :o

OP - I checked the Sticky at the top of the HAL boards, and there are photos of those cabins along w/some commentary by the folks who sailed in them. I still think they look nice, and wouldn't hesitate as long as you address any seasickness issues you think you might have before sailing. Would be wonderful to "see" what the Captain sees as you sail into port. Looks great!

GloBug - don't sweat the small stuff. Ginger tablets or other types of seasick meds (seek advice from your doctor) should do the trick. And if not, you're right, there is always the Atrium! LOL! I'm sure you'll be fine! Please let us know when you get back what you thought of your cabin. I'd like to try it some time in the future!

OP - I checked the Sticky at the top of the HAL boards, and there are photos of those cabins along w/some commentary by the folks who sailed in them. I still think they look nice, and wouldn't hesitate as long as you address any seasickness issues you think you might have before sailing. Would be wonderful to "see" what the Captain sees as you sail into port. Looks great!

GloBug - don't sweat the small stuff. Ginger tablets or other types of seasick meds (seek advice from your doctor) should do the trick. And if not, you're right, there is always the Atrium! LOL! I'm sure you'll be fine! Please let us know when you get back what you thought of your cabin. I'd like to try it some time in the future!

Hi AIP I bet your getting real excited.7 weeks for us'

GloBug Start taking your Bonine prior to boarding and you can take another one 1/2 hour before you leave.Then you should be fine.Don't wait until you feel queezy.I will start taking mine before we fly and continue till we get into Southeast Alaska.I need to take Bonine before I tender and when we are going on small boats .So Sitka is a definite

We always sail out of SF since we live very close to the city, and I always take it before we leave, and then for the next day or two. I guess I'm going to either have to take it every day of the cruise (14 days? Ugh!) or get a sea sick patch. The patch works well for me, the Bonine is ok, but I haven't taken it long term before.

My wife and I booked 6102 on Volendam for Alaska May 25. It will be her first cruise without a balcony - having been to Alaska on Zaandam I thought this would be a good location with easy access to the outdoor areas forward. We'll see about it and report back.

My wife and I booked 6102 on Volendam for Alaska May 25. It will be her first cruise without a balcony - having been to Alaska on Zaandam I thought this would be a good location with easy access to the outdoor areas forward. We'll see about it and report back.

Thanks Caliboy.

• 3 years later...

I would appreciate any comments on these two cabin.

Did you get nice views? Was it very noisy? Was the slamming of doors to worry about? What about the cabin arrangement, are these bigger than the ones in a similar category? Those of you who cruised, would you recommend them?

Happy New Year!

Wow, have to go back 3 years in my memory here... we were a bit leery of booking these cabins since we had always had a balcony, but our friend suggested them and we trusted him so we booked both. Great suggestion! We had 6100 and it's actually a lot larger then 6102. Easy access to the outside door (just steps away) and it is very nice to see where the ship is going! The windows do slope and keep in mind because of the way the light plays and the fact that the bridge is right above you, you can not have the window shades up at night if there is any light on in your cabin. The bridge will notify you quickly to put the shades up, or so the sign said under the window! Since you are at the very end of the corridor, it's very quiet. We didn't have an issue with any loud music or noises, and because of the sloping of the windows and a barrier, anyone on the outside observation deck (and it will fill up) is not able to see in to your cabin.

Views were great! How could they not be? You see what the bridge sees! Lots of space in 6102 (the one on the right, if I am remembering the cabin number correctly) large bathroom, lots of closet space, room to move around, very nice. I would recommend.

Edited by GloBug

Wow, have to go back 3 years in my memory here... we were a bit leery of booking these cabins since we had always had a balcony, but our friend suggested them and we trusted him so we booked both. Great suggestion! We had 6100 and it's actually a lot larger then 6102. Easy access to the outside door (just steps away) and it is very nice to see where the ship is going! The windows do slope and keep in mind because of the way the light plays and the fact that the bridge is right above you, you can not have the window shades up at night if there is any light on in your cabin. The bridge will notify you quickly to put the shades up, or so the sign said under the window! Since you are at the very end of the corridor, it's very quiet. We didn't have an issue with any loud music or noises, and because of the sloping of the windows and a barrier, anyone on the outside observation deck (and it will fill up) is not able to see in to your cabin.

Views were great! How could they not be? You see what the bridge sees! Lots of space in 6102 (the one on the right, if I am remembering the cabin number correctly) large bathroom, lots of closet space, room to move around, very nice. I would recommend.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!!! The only thing I did not quite get that clear is which of the 2 cabins is larger, if the one right in the middle line of the ship (6100) which has 1 window, or the 6102 (more to starboard and towards the door to the observation deck) which has 2 windows. Thanks again and Happy New Year!

"We had 6100 and it's actually a lot larger then 6102."

We had the cabin with only one window, and it is second away from the outside door. We were on the Amsterdam, and at least for the Amsterdam, 6100 was a lot larger than 6102, with both cabin doors in a different place right on the main hallway. The deck plan for the Amsterdam used the deck plan for a different ship, so we were surprised to end up with the larger cabin. But it was a nice surprise.

That said, if you aren't on the Amsterdam, I'm honestly not sure what you will get space or set up wise. You could check Cruise Deck Plans and see if there are any pic, or ask your TA.

"We had 6100 and it's actually a lot larger then 6102."

We had the cabin with only one window, and it is second away from the outside door. We were on the Amsterdam, and at least for the Amsterdam, 6100 was a lot larger than 6102, with both cabin doors in a different place right on the main hallway. The deck plan for the Amsterdam used the deck plan for a different ship, so we were surprised to end up with the larger cabin. But it was a nice surprise.

That said, if you aren't on the Amsterdam, I'm honestly not sure what you will get space or set up wise. You could check Cruise Deck Plans and see if there are any pic, or ask your TA.

Thanks!!!!!!!! Happy New Year!

• 9 years later...
On 4/26/2010 at 10:32 AM, caliboy said:

Can you tell me how it was in cabin 6102?  We are condidering it for a Panama Canal Cruise. Thank you

I was in 6102 on the Volendam for the Jan-Mar Grand VoyageSpace is limited (the area to the left of the bed when facing the windows is useless due to the tiny space between the bed and the desk chair) but was OK for me as a solo traveler as I had no need to go to that side of the cabin.

The BIG problem (at least for me) was the "noise" from the theater directly below.  You will hear every performance AND every rehearsal.  Not a problem if you are someone who spends little time in the cabin.

Loved the location and the long walk to/from most anywhere.  Was easy to get to the Crow's Nest.

Great to have a view out the windows rather than get dressed and go outside via the nearby door (especially in Antarctica).

On a side note, the toilet only worked when it was in the mood.  Became on a first name basis with the plumber.  Guest Services was very concerned about this and (without being asked or me complaining) I was given bottles of wine, a $100 beverage card, chocolate-covered strawberries and, near the end of the cruise, a $500 credit to my on board account.  Again, as a solo traveler, it did not bother me much -- with 2 people it would have been a major disaster.  Kinda doubt this has been completely fixed - the ship is (like me) getting old and plumbing problems happen. 

I would book it again but you may want to look elsewhere.

Bon Voyage!