Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

lionsfan99 ~ welcome to CC and to our Chateaux thread!!! Hope its OK that I added you to our "Roll Call" list!! There are 2 others (probably 2 couples) already booked on your cruise - hopefully they'll "drop-in" here before the cruise and say "hello"!!

As for safety - I think the RCs might be safer than OCs because there are fewer passengers so its easier to get to know people. So far I've always traveled with my DH, however there are times when we've gone our seperate ways and I've never felt alone - usually there's others who you at least recognize on the tour or shopping, etc. As MalibooNew York commented, RC passengers are very friendly and all inclusive!!

You are right - weather is a difficult one to predict! We did a Rgine River cruise last year that left Basel Dec. 7th. We were all prepared for cold, cold weather but, thankfully, it never came! We left our toe & hand warmers with the staff!!! My only sugestion, keep a watch on Bordeaux's weather!!

Silver Bar Package - only you can decide if you'll drink enough to make it worth it! Wine/beer is served free at lunch and dinner and poured very generously! Plus you can easily bring your own wine on board and there's no problem - or attitude - with having it at dinner. That being said, pre/post-dinner drink you have to pay for. So only you can decide how much you'll be drinking! But note: when we boarded last December there was a letter in our stateroom saying we could still get the package - so its something you can take your time deciding on!

Optional Excursion ~ you sign up for these after you board, so there's still time to decide on that also. I'd say read over the descriptions and decide what you'd like to do. We've already decided on the Chateau Siaurac lunch while our friends traveling with us are going truffle hunting!

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!!!!!

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2014

April 12, 2014 ~ id4elizabeth – ports missed Cadillac

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack – ports missed Cadillac

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

April 26, 2014 ~ ChesapeakeSailor – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

May 10, 2014 ~ editor@cruisecritic: Carolyn

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer: Linda

May 24, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork Theresa

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

June 28, 2014 ~ Le bon vin

July 5, 2014 ~ magellan2022

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 9, 2014 ~ kbella

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17 – cancelled, illness

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud; Rose & Gary

Sept. 6, 2014 ~ indianrider - CANCELLED

Sept 13, 2014 ~ smokinmike

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 4, 2014 ~ FotoPeg: John & Peg, Tony & Linda

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ itchyfeetx2

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ lionsfan99

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2015

Aug. 22, 2015 ~ ganski

Thanks fotopeg!!!!! I actually spent a lot of time today reading all of the posts in this thread. Yes, I'm a bit crazy:). I got a lot of great info. Plan to do all the wine tours I can. Will probably skip the cognac, truffle and oyster excursions. I'm also thinking of booking the post cruise hotel in Paris for the three nights. Any thoughts on that one???????

Lionsfan99 ~ Paris post-trip thoughts - we're actually staying in a Paris apartment with our friends for 8 days pre-trip. Its our second Paris visit having been there 4 nights - in a hotel - before our 2012 RC. Both on our own.

But I have to admit, while I'd suggest a RC for a single, I'd personally think twice about going it alone in Paris, especially offered the opportunity of going through the cruise line. Plus I think taking a post-cruise through Viking includes the airport transfer!

In 2012 we also had 2 women friends who took the same cruise - but went to Paris via Viking. One of them had a difficult time adjusting to the time and spent much of Paris in bed. She had also been there before so wasn't too anxious to go sight seeing. The other woman got great help from the Viking rep at the hotel and was able to plan a few tours so she wasn't trying to navigate the Paris streets/subway on her own.

I don't know anything about your own travel history - how much you've traveled alone; have you been to Paris/Europe before; do you speak French? But if it were me, I think I'd book through Viking! It's hard to see Paris in 3 days, but you can get a taste of it!! Plus post-trip you won't have to worry about adjusting to the time difference so you can "hit" the streets as soon as you get there!!

Hope this helps!!

Thanks again fotopeg!

I've travelled to Europe a couple of times and have been to Paris as well. But never on my own and Paris was just a quick visit. I decided to go with the viking option for Paris for the reasons you listed!!!! I know I won't be able to do a lot, but am hoping to see some of the less touristy things I saw before. I love to walk and explore so I'm hoping to find some nice self-walking tours. The hotel I'm at is the meridian near the arc de triomophe. Any suggestions of what to do would be great! My friend says I should do a cooking class.

Thanks!

lionsfan99 ~ what to do in Paris??? There's just SO much to choose from and it all depends on your likes!!! I thin a cooking class would be great but I think we'll just prowl around some markets! Last time we stayed in the Latin Quarter and went to the Marche Edgar Quinet - after the Tour Montparnasse 56 - market was about 2 blocks away.

But this year we're staying near the Bastille so will head for the Marche Aligre and Marche de le Bastille. Not sure what's around the Arc but Rue Montorgueil Markets (closer to Les Halles) look very interesting.

Paris by Mouth Aligre Our Guide to Eating & Drinking In & Around the Market

Rue Montorgueil Market Street in Paris

We also plan on taking a Seine Cruise this year and I want to get to the Orsay - DH can go back to the Musee de l'armee - it was interesing but I want something else this time!! We again have our Eiffel tower tickets, hoping for better weather this year! So far the only dinner reservations are for DH's favorite - Bofingers - a very nice Alsatian restaurant: Bofinger - Traditional Brasserie in Paris, Bastille

Someone here on CC (in the Ports - France area) The web site below was recommended and I have become addicted - find it very interesting and full of ideas! Join Us in France Podcast

And if you aren't sick of me by now - here's my photos from our 2012 trip!! Paris SlideShow

Hope some of this helps!!!

Fotopeg - wow!!!! Thanks for the info and the links. I'm going to spend a lot of time looking through them. I love to walk through markets as well. I'm not much into the museum scene. I did the Eiffel Tower, mont martre, seine cruise etc last time. Although I've looked at a website called viator.com and have seen some neat walking/biking tours there. Also a nice seine cruise so might consider that again. I've got some time to research and I'll do lots of it!!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the cruise

Thanks again!!!

lionsfan99 ~ forgot to mention Walking Tours - check the Ports of Call section of CC and then go to France Ports. Click on Search this Forum, put in Paris Tours and then hit GO. I can't guarantee the results but I know the subject has been discussed. Other pages regarding Paris should also come up.

Good luck with your research!!!

Can't believe our RC is just about a week away. Started packing but have so much to do before we leave. Recovering nicely from surgery. Tired but doing well.

Very excited to be able to experience such a great cruise. Thanks to everyone who contributed information and enthusiasm to this thread

Rose

Can anyone help me out with understanding the trains? We are going to Paris once we get back to Bordeaux. Which site do I use to book.... Rail Europe or Captaine Train? Rail Europe is more expensive but you get to pick Premier seats, etc.... What is the difference? Thanks in advance

Just boarded the Forsetti today and so far very impressed. Checking in is so smooth and should mention the cool refreshing clean citrus smelling towelettes that were handed to you as you walk onto the ship to refresh your face. We are in one of the lower least expensive staterooms and we are extremely pleased with the amount of space and storage and outlets. Beautiful complimentary toiletries. Staff is the best we have experienced on any cruise line we have taken in the past. Cruise director is very natural and entertaining and keeps you well informed about details pertaining to the cruise. Dinner was excellent! Wine is very generous. My DH and I decided to purchase the silver wine package since DH is very much of a wine snob and was not satisfied with the house wine. I thought it was adequate not great but not bad either. Just try I it and decide for yourself. Didn't try the house white but heard it was very good. Have to admit that the wine in the silver wine package was exquisite. Decided not to do the evening walking tour of Bordeaux too tired after a good meal and wine. Decided on the froasted chicken which was thoroughly enjoyable. So far so good

Rose

Rose ~ SO happy your surgery went we'll and that things are good with the Forseti!! Will pass along the info regarding your DH's thoughts about the wine. I assume you purchased the Silver Package after dinner? Or before? I remember there was info in our room regarding it. That's a point we still haven't decided.

So your DH's a "wine snob" - I always call mine one! Please pass along any tips, comments, thoughts he has so I can prepare mine!!

Thanks much! Continued good health and have a great trip!!!

sable16 ~ trains: I'm far from an expert but in the pass I've always bought our tickets (three times I think) through Rail Europe. I never questioned the price. European tickets go on sale 3 months out from when you're planning on traveling and I did notice they got more expensive the closer to the trip.

A few months ago, a very dependable poster mentioned on the French ports site that using scnf.com could produce a great savings in tickets bought about 3 months before the trip. I used that site on July 4th - 4 of us will be traveling on Oct. 4th. Scnf was having a multi-ticket special and we got 2nd class tickets for 12euro pp. I forget how much 2 tickets would have been at that time but it was a lot less than RE. Since it's such a short ride - I think a little over 3 hours - we felt 2nd class would be fine. Traveling 1st or 2nd class is a personal choice.

I've never used Captaine Train so I can't comment about that site.

If you haven't purchased your tickets and are still pondering what to do, I think I posed the address of the discussion site on an earlier site. Or post back and I'll do it here - right now I'm not on my lap top so I can't add a link.

Just boarded the Forsetti today and so far very impressed. Checking in is so smooth and should mention the cool refreshing clean citrus smelling towelettes that were handed to you as you walk onto the ship to refresh your face. We are in one of the lower least expensive staterooms and we are extremely pleased with the amount of space and storage and outlets. Beautiful complimentary toiletries. Staff is the best we have experienced on any cruise line we have taken in the past. Cruise director is very natural and entertaining and keeps you well informed about details pertaining to the cruise. Dinner was excellent! Wine is very generous. My DH and I decided to purchase the silver wine package since DH is very much of a wine snob and was not satisfied with the house wine. I thought it was adequate not great but not bad either. Just try I it and decide for yourself. Didn't try the house white but heard it was very good. Have to admit that the wine in the silver wine package was exquisite. Decided not to do the evening walking tour of Bordeaux too tired after a good meal and wine. Decided on the froasted chicken which was thoroughly enjoyable. So far so good

Rose

Enjoy the trip! We stayed in steerage also - no need for the much more expensive rooms on this cruise, besides the party is always in the DR or lounge!

We also skipped the night walk in Bordeaux after the long trip from Tours and the great dinner.

We have heard from two couples from our cruise since we've been home and actually really do miss several others! That's the beauty of these cruises ultimately - the comraderie and fun with so many other fellow revelers. Party on!

Peg...we purchased the package the first day after DH tried the wine at lunch. The wines on the silver package are extremely good but eh price is 150 euros per person. Certainly not cheap.

Arrived in Paulliac yesterday and the tour around the region was good but after a short while people were anxious about getting to the actual wine tasting. Our group toured Chateau Giscours in the Margaux region. Information about the winery was interesting but long winded. The wine was very good and the one DH and I liked best was 79 euros. We decided not to purchase

Dinner at Kirwan was as good as others before us have experience. Very beautiful Chateau.

Instead of heading to Blaye today we are sailing to Cadillac due to the tides. Should be a very good day

All meals so far are excellent in our opinion and the staff is always cheerful and willing to accommodate.

We realized in our stateroom bathroom you have heated floors. The thermostat dial is in the bathroom. This will be a wonderful treat for those traveling in the cooler months.

Feel free to ask any questions

Rose

I haven't checked in for awhile and found myself reading all the posts and getting quite nostalgic! The fact that Rose is on the Forseti now and sharing is special!! All of the postings on this roll call, led by FotoPeg provided useful information and greatly enhanced our experience on the July 5 cruise. Thanks, everyone!

We had a wonderful time and though we did every tour, came home feeling relaxed. How is that possible? Wonderful staff who sincerely wanted us to have the best experience possible, friendly passengers who were open to conversation and beautiful surroundings. We met and dined with others who had purchased the drink package. We accepted the opportunity to taste. The wines served on the package were indeed wonderful. Would I buy the package on a future cruise? It's a definite maybe. I'll have to let you know next time!

Peg, your cruise is in less than 5 weeks! When do you leave for Paris? We loved Paris and can't wait to return. I am really excited for you! As for the cruise, relax and know that you'll be well taken care of on the Forseti. Just have your notes on things to see in each town handy! I did but realize that we missed a few sights in Bordeaux at the end of the cruise. I think we were just too relaxed!!

Enjoy!!

Jackie

magellam2022/Jackie ~ your post-cruise is just wonderful!!! Viking could use it in their advertising!!! But to set the record straight, this informative, interesting thread was begun by vcgeno - I just have a big "mouth" exercised by posting!!!! And it has been a wonderful link and I'll miss it - although I hope it continues with next year's cruisers - we'll all have to stop by to answer any questions!!

Thank you for asking - we leave for Paris on Sept 25th - spending 8 days pre-cruise in an apartment rented through VRBO - first time for us!! We were there in 2012 for 4 days but that wasn't nearly enough!! With all the time & $$ spent getting to Europe we decided to really "see" Paris this time!! I'm sure even 8 days won't be enough but we'll try to both see the city and, even more, also experience it!!

Your comments about the drink package are interesting - that's one of the only decisions I think is left! But its up to the guys - one less thing I have to think about!!

While I'm hoping the next 5 weeks fly by, I also know that then Paris & Cruise will - I just always wish that last part could pass in slow-motion! - but haven't found the way yet!!!

I'll try and post from the Forseti - IF there's time!!!!!

Hi all, Glad to hear that the Forseti service is as stellar as it was for us. Wanted to mention that we also purchased the Silver drink package and have no regrets. The wines were exquisite and the bar also produces a great martini..so, I think we got our money's worth.

Hi there - does anyone know the other two chateaux's that are possible to see on the Pauillac wine tours? I've read that there are four groups - Lynch-Bages and Giscours are the ones I've read about in theses posts so far. Just curious as to what the others are????

Also - any advice on getting to some of the other wineries/chateaux's when I have free time in the ports would be greatly appreciated. My boyfriend loves Pomerol and am particularly interested in finding out if I could get there to get him a bottle from that area.

Thanks!

lionsfan99 ~ hello again! Through the past posts, I picked up a thrid name: Chateau Prieure-Lichine (hope that's the correct spelling) but I've never gotten the forth yet!

As for Pomerol - I hope someone can answer your question!! If not, I can only suggest going to a wine store in Bordeaux. Someone mentioned one to go in to see even if you don't buy - have to look for the name/address. And another suggestion would be to ask the Cruise Director or Concierge - they usually have great advice!

lionsfan.....in Paulliac you are divided into groups and each group tastes at a different winery. We tasted at Giscours which we found the wine very good but heard all positive reviews from others that were assigned to other chateaus. Pomerol wines are produced in the Libourne area and you will definitely get a chance to try and purchase these wines during the optional tour to Siaurac. But even if you don't do this optional tour there a many wine shops in Saint Emilion where you can purchase Pomerol.

Took the optional tour to Siaurac which was an outstanding experience. As mentioned in previous post the host Paul and his staff are very gracious and welcoming. Had the opportunity to taste wines from the barrel before it's maturing and blending stages which was quite unique. And as you would expect the wine was amazing. We did purchase a case to deliver home as well as an additional bottle which we will enjoy on our ocean cruise after we end this one. Had an opportunity to speak with a couple that did the truffle excursion and one could sense that this is also a memorable and pleasant tour.

So DH and I are hooked on river cruises and now trying to decide when to take our next one.

For those of you who are still waiting for you cruise, enjoy the anticipation and we all will be thinking and missing all the wonderful moments of this cruise.

roebud ~ thank you for the info about the wine tasting at Chateau Siaurac - haven't heard yet about the actual tasting and sounds wonderful - DH will be very happy! We've tasted "immature" wine from the barrel in Napa and this in France should also be interesting!!

lionsfan99 ~ I'm such a dummy - that's why DH is the wine "expert" in our family!! Chateau Siaurac is located in the Lalande de Pomerol - I forgot that!! We have had one of their wines - Plaisir - that was very nice - even went back to purchase more, one as a gift for an acquaintance who's taking the cruise in November.

Hope the link below works!!

http://chateausiaurac.com/topic/index.html

Well this cruise is sadly coming to an end. We had a beautiful week and the weather was beautiful the entire week.

Cognac Tour...although we didn't take this tour I asked several couples who did and said it was a great tour one of the best and worth the price. Each enjoyed their own version of cognac and are able to bring back a 500ml bottle each.

Visit to the Citadel in Blaye today was better than we expected. Do not miss this walking tour and we strayed off on our own at the end and saw so many beautiful areas of the fortress site.

Next cruise is scheduled....23 day European Sorjourn next September!!!

We are off to our ocean cruise next but wishing it was another river cruise instead.

When you are on this cruise you must order the "iced coffee" after dinner. I believe it is prepared on certain days by the pastry chef. We tried it last night (happened to see the table next to us with them) and it was to die for and I normally dislike iced coffee. We will be asking for it tonight, hoping it will be available

Rose