Tipping and Dress Codes

Luvcrusn

Why is it that any threads started that contain either Tipping or Dress Codes seem to explode on this site? Both topics seems to set off passionate responses. Is it only on the Celebrity Board, or across all lines?

Very true, two very passionate subjects. I've wowed to give in the fashion and tipping police to save the hassle on our next cruise. I'm getting a custom made Tux for quasi Formal nights and a second for casual evenings (no tails on that one). I’m also getting my tailor to make a 'tux' scuba suit for the lido deck (can't be too careful with the fashion police around ;)). And finally, I will only tip in increments of USD $100 to the crew individually, and never, ever before said tip is earned by the crew. No more signing bonuses for the crew. The Patriots insulted Tom Brady with that $28 million signing bonus. I will never ever insult the crew again like Mr. Kraft did to poor Tom.

(Yes, there is a teensy-weensy bit of sarcasm above. :D)

To be totally factual Tom was pre-tipped/bribed/bonused $14M before year one of the contract extension and $14 before year two so the total pre-tip/bribe/signing bonus was only $27.72M using a 2% discount factor. :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Very true, two very passionate subjects. I've wowed to give in the fashion and tipping police to save the hassle on our next cruise. I'm getting a custom made Tux for quasi Formal nights and a second for casual evenings (no tails on that one). I’m also getting my tailor to make a 'tux' scuba suit for the lido deck (can't be too careful with the fashion police around ;)). And finally, I will only tip in increments of USD $100 to the crew individually, and never, ever before said tip is earned by the crew. No more signing bonuses for the crew. The Patriots insulted Tom Brady with that $28 million signing bonus. I will never ever insult the crew again like Mr. Kraft did to poor Tom.

(Yes, there is a teensy-weensy bit of sarcasm above. :D)

Get to be totally factual Tom was pre-tipped/bribed/bonused $14M before year one of the contract extension and $14 before year two so the total pre-tip/bribe/signing bonus was only $27.72M using a 2% discount factor. :)

[emoji106]

I found the perfect T shirt today in Zulily. It said I speak fluent sarcasm. [emoji4] [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Dress code threads are nothing compared to what they used to be. Not even close

I will be the first to admit that I was in favour of Evening Chic from the outset and didn't agree with the view "it's the beginning of a slippery slope etc etc etc.

But I got it wrong, just look at the rise in global unrest and political tensions since the ditching of Formal Nights in favour of Evening Chic on Celebrity there is a clear correlation in time lines. I can't be the only one who thinks the two things are connected.

Edited by DYKWIA

I will be the first to admit that I was in favour of Evening Chic from the outset and didn't agree with the view "it's the beginning of a slippery slope etc etc etc.

But I got it wrong, just look at the rise in global unrest and political tensions since the ditching of Formal Nights in favour of Evening Chic on Celebrity there is a clear correlation in time lines. I can't be the only one who thinks the two things are connected.

If fact my next documentary is on this very subject. It will be a M. Moore film in collaboration with O.Stone and Breitbart.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by DirtyDawg

Why is it that any threads started that contain either Tipping or Dress Codes seem to explode on this site? Both topics seems to set off passionate responses. Is it only on the Celebrity Board, or across all lines?

I mentioned in an earlier thread that dress code threads are nothing compared to what they were a few years. Since the OP is fairly new to the board, would also point out that tipping threads are totally different from before Celebrity started the auto tipping on board. Prior to that very few people complained about tips on this board because everyone just paid it with cash and Celebrity was not doing many cruises to non-tipping cultures. At the time Celebrity posted who got the tips and the biggest arguments over tips were who is this "head housekeeping guy" and why does he get a tip. Tipping threads have only become contrary since auto tipping and so many cruises to those non tipping cultures.

As a footnote, no one ever came on this board and said they were not doing the recommended tipping. They just didn't go to the dining room on the last night and avoided their room steward on the last day like the plague.

One of the most ironic posts I ever read on this board was the guy who said he was traveling with a relative who was bragging he was not leaving any tips for the crew. The relative was completely embarrassed but added that it was almost poetic justice that this guy was notified that all his luggage wound up in the water.

Edited by dkjretired

Seriously?!:rolleyes:

I..,

One of the most ironic posts I ever read on this board was the guy who said he was traveling with a relative who was bragging he was not leaving any tips for the crew. The relative was completely embarrassed but added that it was almost poetic justice that this guy was notified that all his luggage wound up in the water.

Have read similar stories on other threads but have reservations about the authenticity.

I find it rather strange that on CC the very mention of being allowed to remove the auto tips results in almost apoplectic rage.

Yet if one does go to GR and have them removed there is no reaction from the desk staff nor the customer facing staff during the cruise - certainly not in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have read similar stories on other threads but have reservations about the authenticity.

I find it rather strange that on CC the very mention of being allowed to remove the auto tips results in almost apoplectic rage.

Yet if one does go to GR and have them removed there is no reaction from the desk staff nor the customer facing staff during the cruise - certainly not in my experience.

I'm often surprised at the accuracy to which people claim to overhear what others are discussing with Guest Relations, particularly if they're in conversation with Guest Relations themselves.

I'm often surprised at the accuracy to which people claim to overhear what others are discussing with Guest Relations, particularly if they're in conversation with Guest Relations themselves.

The only conversation I have overheard at GR was an irate 'elite' passenger ranting rather loudly (different subject but highly amused ng )

My post was based upon conversations between myself and GR so are indeed accurate . Simply " please remove the auto-gratuities". "certainly ... is there anything else we can assist with ?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would anyone expect the GR staff to throw a fit? Of course they're going to be polite and do their job or risk being fired. Using that as a measure of right or wrong is disingenuous at best.

Most people are not rude enough to comment on anything another passenger does unless it has a direct affect on them. It's always amusing to me that people come on the boards with all kinds of stories about questionable things they have done and they think it's perfectly OK because no one did or said anything to them. Good thing they're not mind readers;).

Dress code threads are nothing compared to what they used to be. Not even close

A sign that people have finally accepted that Celebrity Chic nights are here to stay? Or the fact that many still make exactly the same level of effort that they did during the old chic night? Or a combination of both?