Wine Rules for Embarkation

gjohns24

Simple question for everyone that I haven't been able to find the answer to. I know that each stateroom can bring two bottles of wine, but is it required that you either put it in your checked luggage or bring it with you onboard? I assume it has to be one or the other or else you could put two in your checked bag and bring two with you and nobody would know...

Is that a loophole or am I missing a rule somewhere? Thanks in advance everyone!

Thanks for the quick reply Essiesmom. I figured this was the case but just haven't been able to find any confirmed answers. The only lingo I've found from celebrity on their site is:

"Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the

cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any

shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of

$25.00. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from the onboard shops

will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest's staterooms on the last day of the sailing."

We just haven't ever taken advantage of the wine allowance and wanted to make sure we weren't breaking any rules. Thanks again for your help!

Simple question for everyone that I haven't been able to find the answer to. I know that each stateroom can bring two bottles of wine, but is it required that you either put it in your checked luggage or bring it with you onboard? I assume it has to be one or the other or else you could put two in your checked bag and bring two with you and nobody would know...

Is that a loophole or am I missing a rule somewhere? Thanks in advance everyone!

I got this site address - http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf - in less than 10 seconds by typing "celebrity wine carry on policy" into Google. Really easy to do.

DON

Hello,

You are not missing a rule...unlike some cruise lines, Celebrity does not have a written policy regarding the placement of the 2 bottles of allowable wine. Most folks will recommend that you have it in your carry-on to avoid possible breakage; or to ensure that delivery of your checked luggage is not delayed, as there is a chance that the luggage may be held, and that you will be summoned to the "naughty room" to open the luggage and prove that the bottles are wine, and not some other type of alcohol.

I have placed wine in my checked luggage, and my bags were delivered without issue or delay. But as you see above, other folks have been called to the "naughty room".

I have never read a report about wine being confiscated from checked luggage...which as I stated...is not a written prohibited policy.

Obviously, I don't know this as fact, but I am guessing that with the prevalence of beverage packages, not as many folks are bringing their allowable wine onboard. I know that on one of our cruises we carried on 6 bottles (3 staterooms), and when we debarked 11 days later, we gave 4 of those bottles, and 2 of the 3 sparkling wines we received in Concierge Class, to our Stateroom Attendant !

Enjoy your cruise

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

I got this site address - http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf - in less than 10 seconds by typing "celebrity wine carry on policy" into Google. Really easy to do.

DON

This is the document I got my above quote from when I googled it, but it does not address the specific question I asked above.

We buy our wine the day before getting on the cruise since we always arrive at the port city the day before. We buy those bubble wrap "skins" to put the wine in and we put it in the checked luggage. Never had a problem that way. Or you can carry it onboard in your carry on luggage.

This is the document I got my above quote from when I googled it, but it does not address the specific question I asked above.

Yes and it was written 10 years ago, (07-30-07.pdf). Who knows if that is there current policy especially as Celebrity cannot get a web site built properly that works. It is good to seek up to date information from current cruisers.

I see a lot of posts now where someone seems to be setting themselves up as the blog police advising to search before posting questions. I am a bit techie and do search generally before posting but it can be useful to ensure one is getting up to date information

We've had no trouble putting our wine in our checked luggage. If flying internationally and coming straight from the airport that's where your wine will be.

I got called to the naughty room 2 years ago. For a jar of large martini olives. Wasn't funny at the time. These olives are not available on board.

They do check carefully. Probably more for booze than other banned items.