Booking specialty restaurants with 1yo

M4ttNS

Cruising with NCL. Looking to buy 3 restaurant dining packages for our cruise.

1) Do I need to book a package for the 1 yo.

2) When making reservations for a restaurant do I reserve 2 or 3 ppl?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, on some lines, if you don't have a package, they will charge you for the child when you make a reservation, however the charge will be credited back to you, since a baby is free.

Unless there is a restriction about kids under a certain age, you are MORE than welcome to bring your family to any dining room! No worries!

And, on some lines, if you don't have a package, they will charge you for the child when you make a reservation, however the charge will be credited back to you, since a baby is free.

Unless there is a restriction about kids under a certain age, you are MORE than welcome to bring your family to any dining room! No worries!

That's why I was asking, it was charging me online when I went to book. Thanks for the help. I agree on the second point. Choose a less family friendly line if you are looking to distance yourself from kids.

Cheers

They will refund the charges on the ship if you ask them. When we sailed (2 years ago) it was free if the kid ate off the kids menu, half price for regular dinner. We also booked the earliest dinner, and figured if anyone complained we would truthfully explain that the kids clubs were still closed and we would have left our son there if they were open. As soon as the kids clubs reopened, we took our son directly there.

That's why I was asking, it was charging me online when I went to book. Thanks for the help. I agree on the second point. Choose a less family friendly line if you are looking to distance yourself from kids.

Cheers

Even Disney has adult-only areas. Cheers :)

We have taken our son to several NCL specialty restaurants at age 10 months and 27 months. We did choose the earliest reservation times, mostly because he was hungry by then and we wanted him in bed at a reasonable time :) If he got fussy, one of us took him out immediately, but that didn't happen often and he was always great as soon as there was food available!

You don't need a package for the 1 year old -- either feed from kid's menu or give a small amount from your plate. But I would reserve for 3 so they give you a table with plenty of room for a high chair. It is no fun to be crowded at a too-small table with a toddler who is trying to grab your food :)

If you call the dining reservations number they can make the reservation over the phone without charging you for the child. Or you can just pay and get it refunded onboard.

We have taken our son to several NCL specialty restaurants at age 10 months and 27 months. We did choose the earliest reservation times, mostly because he was hungry by then and we wanted him in bed at a reasonable time :) If he got fussy, one of us took him out immediately, but that didn't happen often and he was always great as soon as there was food available!

You don't need a package for the 1 year old -- either feed from kid's menu or give a small amount from your plate. But I would reserve for 3 so they give you a table with plenty of room for a high chair. It is no fun to be crowded at a too-small table with a toddler who is trying to grab your food :)

If you call the dining reservations number they can make the reservation over the phone without charging you for the child. Or you can just pay and get it refunded onboard.

Thanks! Did they have high chairs at all the restaurants on board? Wondering if we should bring a portable chair that sits on top of a regular chair.

Thanks! Did they have high chairs at all the restaurants on board? Wondering if we should bring a portable chair that sits on top of a regular chair.

Yes, we had no problem getting high chairs in the buffet, main dining rooms, 24 hour place, or any of the specialty restaurants we visited. One thing we took with us that worked great was disposable bibs :) If you are ordering off the kids menu, in some restaurants you need to order that as soon as you sit down because they have it brought from another kitchen and it takes longer. Just ask your server if you have any questions. Ask for anything you want, even if it isn't exactly on the menu. Lots of times they can get it for you, and at worst they will say they can't do it. We got things like yogurt, berries, plain baked or mashed potatoes, etc.

Edit: I am assuming you already plan to do this, but take any bottle/sippy/straw cups and toddler forks/spoons you may need with you, along with a bottle brush and small amount of dish soap to wash in your cabin. Many times cruise ships do not provide lids/straws for cups.

Edited by gymbomb

Some tips from a Mama who has done a lot of restaurant meals w toddler!

Go to an early dinner time.

Visit ahead, during the day and let them know you are bringing a baby/toddler. Ask them to put you in a corner booth/table or near an exit, OR at a table with a little more space around it. That way they know ahead and you can be closer to the exit if you need to take the little one for a walk between courses. (We would take turns walking our kiddo between courses)

When you order a main course, also order desert at the same time. That way if you get to the end of your meal and your little one needs to leave your exit will be quicker and you can take the desert back to your room to enjoy later.

Bring toys. If you can bring a new one (or put a favorite toy away now and "rediscover" it that night at dinner).

Lastly. Our DD hated seats. She was happy to behave but only on the floor. As we had visited in advance and we were able to request a spot with some extra room, she had space to sit on the floor beside us and play. Maybe you are lucky and your kiddo will sit in a chair, but if not, go with the flow.

Have fun!

Some tips from a Mama who has done a lot of restaurant meals w toddler!

Go to an early dinner time.

Visit ahead, during the day and let them know you are bringing a baby/toddler. Ask them to put you in a corner booth/table or near an exit, OR at a table with a little more space around it. That way they know ahead and you can be closer to the exit if you need to take the little one for a walk between courses. (We would take turns walking our kiddo between courses)

When you order a main course, also order desert at the same time. That way if you get to the end of your meal and your little one needs to leave your exit will be quicker and you can take the desert back to your room to enjoy later.

Bring toys. If you can bring a new one (or put a favorite toy away now and "rediscover" it that night at dinner).

Lastly. Our DD hated seats. She was happy to behave but only on the floor. As we had visited in advance and we were able to request a spot with some extra room, she had space to sit on the floor beside us and play. Maybe you are lucky and your kiddo will sit in a chair, but if not, go with the flow.

Have fun!

Great advice thanks!

Hello, I just booked the 4 specialty dining for our breakaway cruise next month. The site wasn't letting me just buy the package for just me and my husband. It was also adding the package for our 1.5 year old daughter. So I called Ncl and they took care of adding the package for just the adults. Then when I was reserving times, reserving for 3 was only pulling up times after 9 pm and we can't do that every night. So I made the reservations for 2. Then I called Ncl again to ask if that was ok and I was told, perfectly fine, just tell the staff that we need a high chair for baby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

As I've been reading up on the specialty dining and as an FYI for when your toddler is older - if they order off the kids menu there's no extra charge.

We'll be bringing our 15, 11 and almost 2 year old kids to our dining also. My toddler is already a champ at restaurants and loves dining. So my 15 year old will have a fee, but my 11 year old won't if he stays on the kids menu. That being said, since he's a picky eater if he's actually interested in the $$ menu I'll totally buy him what he wants to encourage the new foods. My husband and 15 year old are hearty enough eaters that if he doesn't like it they can clean up.

• 4 months later...
Hello, I just booked the 4 specialty dining for our breakaway cruise next month. The site wasn't letting me just buy the package for just me and my husband. It was also adding the package for our 1.5 year old daughter. So I called Ncl and they took care of adding the package for just the adults. Then when I was reserving times, reserving for 3 was only pulling up times after 9 pm and we can't do that every night. So I made the reservations for 2. Then I called Ncl again to ask if that was ok and I was told, perfectly fine, just tell the staff that we need a high chair for baby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So this is my first cruise so I have been calling and asking the NCL representatives a million questions, and 3 different reps recommended the same, in that we book for 2 people, then when we check in with the actual ship let them know we will be bringing a toddler with us and they will make note of that. The only exception is with Tepenyaki which does not have room to put a highchair adjacent because of the theme of the venue