Princess disembark ? out of San Pedro port (Hawaii cruise)

4275princess

We will be on the Diamond Princess 11/20/07 Hawaii cruise out of Sand Pedro port. The ship SHOULD dock @ 7a. On other Princess cruises, the self disembark people are called first & walk off around 8a. We've been on cruises where this has taken an hour. Then the 1st color code/early flights are called, usually around 9a. If you are on a Princess bus, usually rolls out by 9:20-9:30a. Can anyone comment on this timeframe out of San Pedro?

We are not sure if we want to do self disembark or early flights on a Princess bus. The estimated time will determine what we choose. Do you know if the line of cabs outside the terminal will include VAN cabs? Thanks.....

Alot depends on how many ships are in port! since you need to go through customs. if the Diamond is the only ship, you will get off quickly as planned. if other ships are in port, it could be a long haul! we got off the Island on one of our trips to Hawaii at 1pm! (it was a big long mess I don't want to go into...but ships show up that were not on the port calander and they had a mess!)

You will love this cruise. I have not been on the Diamond, but I have been on the sapphire (sister ship) my favorite spot is the wheelhouse bar.

On our Hawaiian cruise, the disembarkation process didn't even begin until after 8:30am (and the only other ship in SP with us was the Monarch of the Seas). Fortunately, we're within driving distance of San Pedro so it didn't matter to us that we didn't get off the ship before 11am.

If you're planning to catch a flight on 11/20, be aware that is two days before Thanksgiving. I've flown into LAX twice the Tuesday before Thanksgiving...and it's a zoo, traffic-wise. I strongly advise you to add time to traveling to the airport. Don't book a morning flight.

We will be on the Diamond Princess 11/20/07 Hawaii cruise out of Sand Pedro port. The ship SHOULD dock @ 7a. On other Princess cruises, the self disembark people are called first & walk off around 8a. We've been on cruises where this has taken an hour. Then the 1st color code/early flights are called, usually around 9a. If you are on a Princess bus, usually rolls out by 9:20-9:30a. Can anyone comment on this timeframe out of San Pedro?

We are not sure if we want to do self disembark or early flights on a Princess bus. The estimated time will determine what we choose. Do you know if the line of cabs outside the terminal will include VAN cabs? Thanks.....

There are only two slots for ships... so, there's usually not too much congestion. when we docked, we were off in about an hour and a half. I had called the Van service when we docked to reserve a shuttle home. It really didn't help. there are plenty of limos, cabs, and plenty of shuttle vans waiting to pick up passengers. Since we needed to go to Orange County, and the driver wanted a full van, we had to wait about 20 minutes before the driver would take off. After all that waiting, it wound up to be just the two of us, and I tipped him a bit more than usual.

There are only two slots for ships... so, there's usually not too much congestion.

There's actually space for 3, albeit a tight fit. 2 in the channel, and one in the notch parallel to the bridge.

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/images/Facilities/Cruise_Aerial_2.jpg

We (Sapphire) were in the notch, with the P&O Artemis and the Island Princess in the channel. The stern of the Artemis was actually in front of the Sapphire, and she had to move ahead so we could get out.

We took the two-week Hawaii cruise this last March. It was the first time we used "self-disembarkation" and it worked so well that we'll do it from now on. We had driven to the port, so we didn't have the issue of having to make it to LAX in time for a flight.

Like others have said, so much depends on so many different factors and on how many ships are in port. We got extraordinarily lucky in that we hauled our own luggage (I'll pack even lighter next time!) off the ship and were outside the embarkation/disembarkation building in 15 minutes (yes, that's fifteen minutes!), we were on the sidewalk by 8:20 a.m. Yes, there seemed to be plenty of cabs and frankly it was a pleasure not to have to jam into a huge bus to be taken to the airport, along with 40+ passengers and their 80+++ pieces of luggage. Loading and unloading those buses eats up time too.

I've taken this cruise a couple of times plus a couple of times to the Mexican Riviera and IMHO, the best thing to do is get an early flight color, disembark without having to manage and haul your own luggage, carry-on, etc. down the escalator (while keeping up with the rushing tide of folks anxious to get off the ship; some creeps use the elevator which is intended for those in wheelchairs or otherwise handicapped, which delays them), and pre-book an airport van with either SuperShuttle or Primetime Shuttle. They both fill up quickly and leave right away for the airport. I was once very early getting off and had to wait for others to come for the van to fill. I've always booked flights after Noon because you never know what the traffic will be like on the 405 plus LAX check-in and security can take a long time. I'd MUCH rather get there early and relax rather than stress over making a flight. Some people crabbed about getting there early but that's the chance you take. I'd rather err on the side of having to wait -- a good book will always keep me occupied.

<<some creeps use the elevator which is intended for those in wheelchairs or otherwise handicapped, which delays them>>

I've never seen Handicapped Only stickers on elevators. Sometimes people aren't visibly handicapped either. I have a friend who suffers dizzy spells, and while she looks perfectly able, she gets dizzy using "Down" escalators.

We took the two-week Hawaii cruise this last March. It was the first time we used "self-disembarkation" and it worked so well that we'll do it from now on. We had driven to the port, so we didn't have the issue of having to make it to LAX in time for a flight.

Like others have said, so much depends on so many different factors and on how many ships are in port. We got extraordinarily lucky in that we hauled our own luggage (I'll pack even lighter next time!) off the ship and were outside the embarkation/disembarkation building in 15 minutes (yes, that's fifteen minutes!), we were on the sidewalk by 8:20 a.m. Yes, there seemed to be plenty of cabs and frankly it was a pleasure not to have to jam into a huge bus to be taken to the airport, along with 40+ passengers and their 80+++ pieces of luggage. Loading and unloading those buses eats up time too.

Personally, we won't do self disembarkation just so we could get off the ship early when we drive in. I would rather let the passengers who have a flight to catch that morning get first priority in getting off the ship.

yes...our cruise is 11/18 and we fly into la 11/17

sounds like we will do "easy check out" for $15 pp to have Princess take our luggage & partner with Delta to get it to the airport. then we will do self-disembark & hope to be some of the 1st to get off the boat. will try to get a cab van (7 of us) or use 2 regular cabs....or we may do what someone suggested...call & reserve the shuttle service...the easy check out should eliminate the need to go to check in @ airport (since Princess will have printed the airline tickets thru the easy check out service"

& we will then go directly to security...we have a 12:45 flight so want to cut corners wherever possible.

any suggestions or comments would be appreciated,,,,thanks

the san pedro cruise yard can hold more than 3 ships. the time in questions there were 5 ships in port! (hence the massive delays) the sapphire, monarch of the seas, vision of the seas , a holand america ship and us! (we were on the Island) the Holand america ship had to actually move for us to get into the bert, it was a mess! With the holiday and all I would book a later flight! (as one poster said our traffic can be miserable that time of year. ) I will actually be arriving on the golden on 11/17 and I will have my driver meet me at about 1pm

Archived