BARCELONA PORT - Information

Having done some research prior to booking Allure next year out of Barcelona, Spain...some post-booking thoughts/questions came to mind:

1) Most reports are that the Port itself is one of the better ones in Europe - both in terms of how it operates as well as passenger experience.

If anyone who has used the Barcelona port on their cruise...sharing your experience in a post here would be appreciated.

2) After having a terrific (and efficient) Oasis boarding/disembarking experience in FLL, and also a terrible one in Ballantyne Pier in Vancouver...there is plenty of variety for this important part of a cruise.

How well-run is the Barcelona terminal facility itself?

Are the Platinum, Diamond, etc. passenger boarding lines well-run in terms of time and efficiency?

How is the post-cruise baggage pickup handled in terms of time and ease?

How is transportation to and from the terminal (congested, efficient, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your insights.

We've used the terminal twice, for embarkation only, and there were virtually no lines, so no need for priority check-in. We arrived around 11am and were on the ship in 10 minutes or so. We took a taxi to the port and there was little to no traffic.

We've used the terminal twice, for embarkation only, and there were virtually no lines, so no need for priority check-in. We arrived around 11am and were on the ship in 10 minutes or so. We took a taxi to the port and there was little to no traffic.

Thanks for that info Bob - looks like we'll be pleased with that part of our trip!

I was just anticipating with Allure there, and obviously a lot more passengers boarding than other ships to date...things might be different.

We've taken 3 12 nites Mediterranean cruises (most recent this past August)and everything that you are concerned let me put your mind at ease. You are not indicating whether you are using public transportation or RCl's transfers. We've used RCL's transfers and it has worked very well both from arriving and departing. Others on CC have commented that taxi transportation is very efficient and reasonable. Our concern with using this mode was our large bags vis-à-vis compact size cars. Getting on the ship is easy and efficient with separate lines for tier(s) level. Enjoy your cruise.

We've taken 3 12 nites Mediterranean cruises (most recent this past August)and everything that you are concerned let me put your mind at ease. You are not indicating whether you are using public transportation or RCl's transfers. We've used RCL's transfers and it has worked very well both from arriving and departing. Others on CC have commented that taxi transportation is very efficient and reasonable. Our concern with using this mode was our large bags vis-à-vis compact size cars. Getting on the ship is easy and efficient with separate lines for tier(s) level. Enjoy your cruise.

Excellent! Thank you so much for providing that information. :)

This is what check-in looked like:

IMG_01941.JPG

Fantastic!

That photo really paints a clear picture of what to expect. I appreciate you taking the time to share it. :)

Barcelona is the best run port anywhere in the world in my opinion. I have had almost 20 sailings from there on various cruise lines, including 3 with RCI.

They will have experience with Oasis prior to the Allure season. They plan to use two terminals for Allure and Oasis. You will see reports here about how that is working before your cruise.

They will have up to 30 or 40 check-in desks and normal RCI lines for suites and C&A status are used and enforced. Tagged luggage is left prior to entering the terminal and is very well staffed, medical form is filled out prior to entering your line after going through 2 security lines. Security is full and is just like what you would find at any airport.

After check-in you have ship promotional tables and a series of shops and services. You proceed up escalator and photo booths are normally on the 'finger' connecting the terminal to the ships.

Europeans on your cruise have no passport check and they tend to use the right escalator out and then other nationals have a spot check as the port knows all arrivals through electronic means and will call names and cabin numbers of anyone selected for a more comprehensive control prior to the ship being cleared for entry. Ships normally arrive very early in Barcelona and the first numbers start flowing right on time per your ship provided schedule.

Baggage is spread across several automated carousels and for instance the first one will be numbers 1, 10, 20, 30, 35, the next one number 2, 11, 21, 31, 36 and so on, to avoid crowding and to keep traffic flowing. Luggage continues to flow and when the number stops blinking, those bags are offloaded to the center next to the carousel.

I am guessing they are going to be using a forward and aft disembarkation. Barcelona terminals are very efficient and well staffed. Port 'blue' busses run frequently with current 2 euro, 1 way or 3 euro round-trip fares.

Taxis are plentiful and well organized but lines can build with a wait of up to 30 minutes at peak times as they are only able to pull about 20 taxis into each terminal at each moment. Port busses or taxis should be used and walking is not recommended but is possible.

Bob's picture is exactly what we experienced in Barcelona. Took a cab from our hotel and there was no traffic at the port. For disembarking we were staying in Barcelona a day after the cruise so we waited until the last possible minute to get off the ship. We paid extra for that I believe but when we got off our luggage was there and easy to find. Barcelona was prob the easiest embarking/disembarking we have done.

Barcelona is the best run port anywhere in the world in my opinion. I have had almost 20 sailings from there on various cruise lines, including 3 with RCI.

After reading your terrific details, I am convinced this will be a great experience!

Bob's picture is exactly what we experienced in Barcelona. Took a cab from our hotel and there was no traffic at the port. For disembarking we were staying in Barcelona a day after the cruise so we waited until the last possible minute to get off the ship. We paid extra for that I believe but when we got off our luggage was there and easy to find. Barcelona was prob the easiest embarking/disembarking we have done.

Outstanding!

We plan to 2 days before and/or afterwards in Barcelona, and clearly based on the feedback/posts...coupling this departure port with Allure (and the itinerary ports) will make it all a memorable experience.

Thank you all so much for your detailed information. This is an example of what makes Cruise Critic the best place anywhere for cruise information. :)

We sailed out of Barcelona one time back in Oct of 2011 and the process was very easy. As far as transportation to Hotel from the airport and cruise terminal, we used Autos Vilar. http://www.autosvilar.com/ We had 6 in our Van over to the Hotel and 12 going to the cruise terminal and it was 10 euros each.

MADflyer's summary is excellent. We've also sailed out of Barcelona on many occasions and it's the most efficient port we've ever sailed from. Obviously the Fort Lauderdale terminal is specifically built for Oasis class but if anywhere can handle it well I would think Barcelona is the one. Interested to see that they will be using two terminal buildings and fore and aft embarkation.

We sailed out of Barcelona one time back in Oct of 2011 and the process was very easy. As far as transportation to Hotel from the airport and cruise terminal, we used Autos Vilar. http://www.autosvilar.com/ We had 6 in our Van over to the Hotel and 12 going to the cruise terminal and it was 10 euros each.

Good info! Thank you.

MADflyer's summary is excellent. We've also sailed out of Barcelona on many occasions and it's the most efficient port we've ever sailed from. Obviously the Fort Lauderdale terminal is specifically built for Oasis class but if anywhere can handle it well I would think Barcelona is the one. Interested to see that they will be using two terminal buildings and fore and aft embarkation.

Based on everything else they seem to do well...this should be done well too I'm sure.

Also remember that this is a split cruise where people embark and debark in both Barcelona and Rome. That decreases the numbers dramatically as far as how many are trying to disembark or embark on a given day. It's a beautiful thing. It really is.

Also remember that this is a split cruise where people embark and debark in both Barcelona and Rome. That decreases the numbers dramatically as far as how many are trying to disembark or embark on a given day. It's a beautiful thing. It really is.

Oh that's a good point - glad we chose to embark in Barcelona rather than Civitavecchia. Not sure how well disembarkation will be handled in Civitavecchia, unless they up their game - it's always been a bit of a scrum when we've done it in the past

When I embarked this past Memorial Day on the Liberty, Western Med, we arrived at the Barcelona terminal at 10 15 and I thought maybe we were in the wrong place. There wasn't a person in any of the lines and about 10 gate agents were behind the counter doing nothing. I couldn't believe how empty it was. We were through the no lines in 2 minutes but weren't allowed to board until 11 so we just sat in the waiting area chairs.

They have ATMs right by the luggage pickup IIRC so you can get your euro for the cabs. I think the limit was 200 or 300eu per transaction.

On the way back, there was a desk where you could get your VAT reimbursed if you were charged it on any purchases.

On our return flight, we got to the airport so early that they wouldn't accept our luggage for an hour or 2. The checkins weren't open yet.

Edited by marci22

Cruisefan your welcome, I learned about this company from the Spain Ports of Call before we did our TA. In fact our entire Hotel used them except the funny part, they arrived with a couple vans to pick up individual groups and a bus for our 12. LOL I asked them why they didn't just bring the bus and load all of us in it rather then supplying the two added vans. What I should have done was find out how many from our Roll Call were going to use them since the original bus set up got cancelled from a differant company when the lady cancelled their cruise. Since it was set up, I could have or anyone could have assumed the set up and kept the bus.

We have embarked many times in Barcelona and AFTER we cleared security that is where the duty free shop was so remember to bring an extra bag (backpack) put the wine etc in and just walk on the ship.

Disembarking was so easy all we did was just walk of the ship, no one cared, no lines, we did do self assist so we did not wait for luggage.

Barcelona is a pretty efficent port for check in. I´ve never encountered any long lines there.

Disembarkation is going well too. Of course with larger ships there might be some lines at the taxis. But there are plenty of taxis waiting for disembarking passengers. A cab ride should 30-35 min to the airport and something between 30 and 40 Euros (depending on the day of the week and the number of passengers/bags).

There´s also a port bus (blue, T3) which runs between all terminals and the Columbus column (at the foot of La Rambla). A return ticket is 3 Euro. A single ticket is 2 Euro. It´s used by disembarking passengers too and then it can be pretty crowded.

Traffic can be pretty congested especially on weekends. Once it took us more than an hour from the airport with the traffic jam starting right at the beginning of the port area (prior to the bridge).

Unfortunately there is no kind of public transportation between the airport and the port - meaning with all kinds of public transportation you have to change at least twice which is not comfortable.

The city itself is wonderful but of course be aware that Barcelona is also a hot spot for pick pockets!! Therefore I would not recommend using public transportation for embarkation/disembarkation. When you have to keep an eye on your bags you might not concentrate on your purse.

steamboats

Does anyone know how much it is to use RCL's transfers?

Does anyone know how much it is to use RCL's transfers?

Can't speak for arriving but I seem to remember from our cruise on Serenade last month that the transfer to the airport was around $30 each. A taxi will cost about 35-40 euros

We had lots of time to kill so used the port bus and Aerobus which works out at 9 euros each (3 for the port bus and 5.9 euros for the Aerobus) but involves walking from the bottom of Ramblas (where the port bus drops you) to the top (where the Aerobus leaves from Placa Catalunya).

Can't speak for arriving but I seem to remember from our cruise on Serenade last month that the transfer to the airport was around $30 each. A taxi will cost about 35-40 euros

We had lots of time to kill so used the port bus and Aerobus which works out at 9 euros each (3 for the port bus and 5.9 euros for the Aerobus) but involves walking from the bottom of Ramblas (where the port bus drops you) to the top (where the Aerobus leaves from Placa Catalunya).

Unless you use the subway station Drassanes to get to Placa Catalunya ;-)

And yes, it´s app. 30 $ (I think 29). So it´s o.k. when you´re traveling solo but a cab is cheaper for a couple or a family.

steamboats

For solos or those with time there is a new combination public offering.

As it costs 2 euros for the blue port bus, 2 euros (T10 can be used) for the city new route D20 blue bus and then 5.90 now for the A1 or A2.

As it costs 9.90 per person and involves 2 very near connections it is not for everyone, but good for some. You do not have to go down/up metro escalator or walk up crowded Ramblas. The crosswalk over Drassanes is with light and level walk (manage easy with my spinner luggage) The first bus stop is right there, but if missed the other one met just 1 minute ahead.

You go to the right out of terminal and pay 2 euros for port bus onboard or in peak times they have an agent who comes down the line while you are waiting for the next bus.

You then go behind the blue bus and cross over to the stop just at the base of Av. Parallel. The bus D20 driver accepts small bills and coins and it is 2 euro or one stamp of your T10 card if have one.

You take it 10 minutes to Plaza Espana stop or 7 stops up.

Les Drassanes

Av Paral·lel-Drassanes

Metro Paral·lel

Av Paral·lel-Ronda Sant Pau

Metro Poble Sec

Av Paral·lel-Rocafort

Av Paral·lel-Av Mistral

Creu Coberta-Pl Espanya

From Plaza Espana stop you go 20 meters behind stop in front of the Arenas shops converted bull ring shopping center and the A1 or A2 stop is right there.

http://www.mapametrobarcelona.net/bus-barcelona-info/en-barcelona-bus-map-line-D20.php

As this is final city stop for airport busses, each bus goes directly to airport with no stops or traffic lights along the way.

I was at Airport in 30 minutes last month, but had really good luck with all connections. A1 runs every 3-5 minutes. A2 every 5-7 minutes.

Edited by MADflyer