For Sale: Solstice Pre-Inaugural. What's your take?

What's your take on the Solstice pre-inaugural on sale to the general public?  

393 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the Solstice pre-inaugural on sale to the general public?

• It's a great opportunity for Joe Cruiser to see a ship at the same time as agents, media and VIP's.
    • It stinks for those who booked the inaugural thinking they'd be the first paying passengers.
    • I am booked on the inaugural and am not bothered by this at all.
    • I am booked on the inaugural and wish I'd been given the chance to switch or extend my sailing.
    • There's an entire maiden season to lay claim to, why rush to be first?
    • Who cares? I have much more important things to worry about.
    • Something else (which I'll post)

Celebrity has chartered one of several Solstice pre-inaugurals -- a two-night voyage departing November 21 -- to a travel agent that has opened the cabins for booking. On one hand, [this] special charter is great in that it gives anyone willing to pay their way the chance to sail on the ship before pretty much anyone else. But on the other, some folks who already paid a premium for what they thought would be the first revenue cruise feel slighted. (Read our news coverage.)

We want to know: Do you think it's a great idea for Joe or Jane Cruiser to be able to buy their way onto a pre-inaugural? Is it simply a bad hand being dealt those who've already booked the "real" inaugural? Be sure to vote in our poll above and post your opinion, too!

I don't feel there is anyway to guarantee that the inaugural cruise you book will in fact be the inaugural. In fact, most times it is not. The ship has either sailed before with just TAs and VIPs or has been chartered out for some other revenue purpose. I sailed on NCL's Pearl "pre-inaugural" cruise for a 1 night fund raising chartered cruise that sailed the night before the "real" inaugural. I later learned that the Pearl had sailed another revenue chartered cruise the night before ours. Oh well. It happens all the time. I do feel bad for those who were really intent on sailing on the first sailing but they have to keep in mind that no matter what, pre-inaugural or real inaugural, the ship has already sailed before. I say just be happy to sail on the "real" inaugural with all its usual pomp and circumstance and be happy that us chartered cruise "guinea pigs" are testing the ship for you for a couple of nights to make sure everything is in working order for your 7 day cruise. :)

The closest option for me was "who cares." Although, I'm not on the 11-23 Inaugural, I think my answer would be the same even if I were.

As I posted in one of the other threads, Celebrity has to shakedown the ship and if a group is willing to pay for that privilege, more power to them.

The "official" inaugural is still the November 23 sailing so those who feel this is an important milestone can still lay claim to being on the inaugural sailing. I don't think many will be pedantic enough to argue that the real inaugural was a two day jaunt, paying customers or not.

While I feel sorry for the people whose inaugural cruise is being preempted, because it obviously means something to them, I would never be interested in a 2 or 3 night cruise no matter how special. We went on one 4-day in 2007, and we don't remember much. Got pictures, though.

Also, I would not go out of my way to be on a cruise where a large percentage of the passengers are cruise professionals. It would be too much like a land vacation where some people in the community are not on vacation and are sick of seeing those of us who are. I would still have fun if I landed in that situation, but I would not go seeking it.

Besides, DW will not go on an inaugural cruise anyway. After reading about the 19-degree list that happened on a new ship a couple of years ago, she would rather wait a couple of years to be sure the bugs are worked out.

The folks who might scream about "their" inaugural being ruined might also be the first to scream if the service, ship and amenities were not running smoothly. This is a for profit business. Like many businesses, they have "soft" openings before the "grand" opening. Life is full of disappointments (and blessings too, let's not forget!). I don't think you can compare a 2 day sailing to nowhere to the activities of a week's cruise. Rather than concentrate on being "first", concentrate on how much better the service will be while the staff get into a groove and become more comfortable at THEIR new jobs. If it makes you feel better, think how frustrated those pre -inaugural cruisers will be - they won't have time to experience everything Solstice has to offer. :)

We were booked on the original December 14th inaugural, and cancelled our cruise after the date was changed. We weren't able to cruise over Thanksgiving. We were very upset with the decision, but after calming down realized the decision was a financial decision. It took sometime to get over the anticipated excitement of taking an inaugural. When I saw this pre-inaugural 2-day weekend cruise come up for sale, I jumped at the chance to take the Solstice. At the same time I recalled my anger the day I found out the December 14th inaugural cruise was cancelled. I think the decision to sell this 2-day cruise as a charter was a bad decision, but at the same time, I'm very excited about being able to take the Solstice. I must admit, ever since the original December 14th inaugural was cancelled, I basically skipped reading about anything to do with the Solstice. I was truly hurt emotionally by the decision Celebrity made even though I understood it was a business decision. I feel for the people who are booked on the November 23rd inaugural and are hurt as I was at one more "business" decision. I understand that the November 23rd inaugural is the "true" inaugural sailing, but having the paying public able to cruise two days before, takes something away from the excitement of being on the "first" revenue cruise, a.k.a. inaugural.

Steve

Lots of votes for the "it stinks" option. Anyone want to elaborate a little why so?

I saw one argument that there was a price premium for the inaugural. Others said the price difference could be accounted for in whole or in part by the fact that it is also a holiday cruise. Any other arguments for why this is such a horror?

Lots of votes for the "it stinks" option. Anyone want to elaborate a little why so?

I saw one argument that there was a price premium for the inaugural. Others said the price difference could be accounted for in whole or in part by the fact that it is also a holiday cruise. Any other arguments for why this is such a horror?

That is what I struggle with. Why is this so disappointing to some?

As has been said before all businesses have a "soft start " to iron out the bugs and polish the staff. Do you think the ship sailed empty coming here for the "inaugural cruise"? I can understand the excitement of the first cruise, but rest assured you will not the be the first to set foot on the ship.

The Inaugural cruise will be the first cruise in the official schedule, enjoy yourselves and be happy to be on a cruise.

To be quite honest, I was a little worried about all of you on the maiden voyage as the "kinks" might not be worked out for the crew ect. Slow service, condfusion ect.

I'm sure the cruise will have a "shake down" cruise with only employees and family, and then these pre-inagural charters. After each the crew and officers and staff officials will probably have meeting on how to fix the problems encountered on these voyages.

For those of you on the "Inaguaral Cruise" you will probably have a better overall cruise experience because of these charters that when ahead of you.

I wish you all the best.

I recognize that some really have a burn to be on 'The Inaugural'. At this point there might even be one before this new two-nighter, and then it's what, the 3rd Inaugural First? Sure, tick off and offend a few more cruisers. :cool:

Here's what is silly about anyone with the burn for this two nighter, IMHO of course: They are paying to be a training specimen for the entire staff to get polished for the Real Cruisers!

Dumb idea to even consider taking them up on the offer if you ask me, so I answered *Other* and here you have it.

I had the opportunity to book that 2-day cruise mere seconds after I read about it on the first thread that hinted at it, because, although no travel agent name was mentioned, I figured out who was offering it. But I didn't book it and have no interest in being one of the first to sail on the Solstice. (I think I had more fun figuring out how to get on board than I would actually sailing on a brand new ship. OK, I happen to enjoy puzzles, and I think ship virginity may be over-rated.)

However, I do understand the disappointment that some of those who booked the Inaugural cruise feel, even though over the years I have read more negatives than positives about early (Inaugural, pre-Inaugural, Maiden, first few...etc.) cruises on all lines.

As long as the pre-Inaugural passengers follow the new rules Celebrity will have in place and do not break any of those rules, making the cabins smelly or dirty, or worse, then everything should work out all right. I hope that the cruise will not be seen as a two-day party, though, so that the crew will not be tired when their real "Inaugural" guests board.

Personally, I would not want to take an inaugural cruise --- let them work out the kinks on someone else; nevertheless, selling cruises before the inaugural is wrong. Passengers should get what the cruise line advertised and what they paid for. In my mind, Celebrity is doing a classic "bate and switch".

I vote "who cares"...I'm booked on the inaugural and the 2 day weekend, so I get 9 nights on the new ship. It is what it is...I can understand people being frustrated...but it doesn't bother me...cruising is always good first in or not...

Restaurants and hotels have "soft" openings, often quietly allowing John Q Public to partake in order to get necessary feedback and allow proper staff training. TAs, VIPs & employees will often not experience/view things the same way as a paying customer so allowing this short charter is a very good dress rehearsal. The "Inaugural Cruise" is still Opening Night.

Inaugural means nothing to me personally but if Celebrity promotes a cruise as an Inaugural and the rate is more because of it, those who booked have reason to complain. So I voted it stinks because even though it means nothing to me that does not mean it shouldn't mean something to others.

Now, if I am wrong, and it wasn't marketed specifically as an Inaugural, with an accompanying fare raise, I might not vote the same. But Celebrity knows what an Inaugural means. It means it is the first sailing. Obviously there has to be a dress rehearsal or two but if I booked an Inaugural, I would expect it to be one.

I booked it today after I got a e-mail from the TA. I didn't even know when the inaugural cruise was. I just found out reading here. I see it as a quick get away with my husband. I had no idea it has so much controversy. Now I'm a little worried about being a shakedown cruise... I should have done some research first.

The cruise can only be sold by Certain agencies, and it doesn't seem fair that other Ta's can't book it. What if their customer wanted it to add to the 7 day already booked.

I also think it stinks that their is a revenue cruise before the one that was tooted as the first. I think for those going on the 7 day, Celebrity owes them a special gift because they took away that feeling of the first cruise.

Diane in Music City

I booked it today after I got a e-mail from the TA. I didn't even know when the inaugural cruise was. I just found out reading here. I see it as a quick get away with my husband. I had no idea it has so much controversy. Now I'm a little worried about being a shakedown cruise... I should have done some research first.

We'll be fine. It's Celebrity after all. I love the fact that it is a cruise to "nowhere", more time to spend at the spa. :)

See you on board!

Hi Everyone !

We were booked on the original Inaugural sailing on 12/14. When Celebrity changed the date to 11/23, we immediately switched to the new date. I wasnt going to miss Solstice's Inaugural for anything ! We were happy, as we usually Cruise on the Thanksgiving Holidays. My Sister and Brother In-Law werent as happy, as their airfare from NYC is now costing them far more than the original sailing date.

I have no problem at all with Celebrity having Pre-Inaugural Cruises for invited guests, TA's etc. This is fairly common. The Pre-Inaugural sailings will give the crew a chance to get familiar with Solstice, and will likely make the first "revenue" sailings even better !

The issue I have with the 11/21 sailing, is that Celebrity is letting 1 TA have exclusive access to the entire ship, who is selling it to the public. To me, that's something different. IMHO, I feel it's not very fair to all of the other TA's who wish to sell this 2 night Cruise, and especially to those TA's who already have clients on the 11/23 sailing. I was considering the 11/21 sailing, but when my TA told me she couldn't sell it to me, I passed, as I was not about to break my loyalty to her.

Instead of one TA having exclusive access to the 11/21 sailing, a better idea would have been for Celebrity to open the 11/21 sailing exclusively to Elite Captains Club Members to book. This would have been an excellent perk for Elite Members, and Celebrity would have had the same revenue.... and a win-win for just about everyone, other than the TA who has the exclusive.

Another option to consider ? Offering the exclusive to the same TA, but for one of the earlier 2 night sailings. I would have then offered the 11/19 sailing to Elite Members, and the 11/21 sailing to those booked on the 11/23 sailing, giving them a chance to extend their Cruise an additional 2 nights. Again, these options would offer a huge amount of goodwill from Celebrity towards their best customers. Another win-win if you ask me !

The bottom line is, I am still on the "Official" Inaugural Sailing and that hasn't changed. While there may have been some better options, I am not going to get annoyed over this. I can't wait to sail on Solstice. Only 106 days to go !

My opinion on this is... if the company that has the contract wants to put up the funds required to charter this, then let them have it. It is no different than the Celebrity Jazz Cruise Charter in January, or the Budwiser Charter with Royal Caribbean, or even the Nickelodeon Charter coming up with Royal Caribbean. If you want to go, you can only book through the agencies that Chartered the ship, in order to participate.

I am in that position right now, we have a chance to go on a cruise in March, with the sports group my daughter is involved with, however looking at the rates they are selling for, the rates are crazy, I can pay $100 less per person for the same thing. However, in order to participate, we have to book it through the company, then still pay extra for the classes that she wants to take.

If the company can sell it out, then good for them.

Hi Everyone !

We were booked on the original Inaugural sailing on 12/14. When Celebrity changed the date to 11/23, we immediately switched to the new date. I wasnt going to miss Solstice's Inaugural for anything ! We were happy, as we usually Cruise on the Thanksgiving Holidays. My Sister and Brother In-Law werent as happy, as their airfare from NYC is now costing them far more than the original sailing date.

I have no problem at all with Celebrity having Pre-Inaugural Cruises for invited guests, TA's etc. This is fairly common. The Pre-Inaugural sailings will give the crew a chance to get familiar with Solstice, and will likely make the first "revenue" sailings even better !

The issue I have with the 11/21 sailing, is that Celebrity is letting 1 TA have exclusive access to the entire ship, who is selling it to the public. To me, that's something different. IMHO, I feel it's not very fair to all of the other TA's who wish to sell this 2 night Cruise, and especially to those TA's who already have clients on the 11/23 sailing. I was considering the 11/21 sailing, but when my TA told me she couldn't sell it to me, I passed, as I was not about to break my loyalty to her.

Instead of one TA having exclusive access to the 11/21 sailing, a better idea would have been for Celebrity to open the 11/21 sailing exclusively to Elite Captains Club Members to book. This would have been an excellent perk for Elite Members, and Celebrity would have had the same revenue.... and a win-win for just about everyone, other than the TA who has the exclusive.

Another option to consider ? Offering the exclusive to the same TA, but for one of the earlier 2 night sailings. I would have then offered the 11/19 sailing to Elite Members, and the 11/21 sailing to those booked on the 11/23 sailing, giving them a chance to extend their Cruise an additional 2 nights. Again, these options would offer a huge amount of goodwill from Celebrity towards their best customers. Another win-win if you ask me !

The bottom line is, I am still on the "Official" Inaugural Sailing and that hasn't changed. While there may have been some better options, I am not going to get annoyed over this. I can't wait to sail on Solstice. Only 106 days to go !

We were booked on the original inaugural...not only for Solstice but also for Ruby Princess...and BOTH inaugural sailings were changed to earlier dates.

In both cases, we were offered the opportunity to change to the "new" inaugural date. We declined in both cases...we simply cancelled one trip while keeping the other. However that will be our LAST cruise on that line. There are too many other lines offering equivalent itineraries, food, service, and amenities to be "taken" by advertising schemes that prove to be just that...a scheme.

On the other hand, our lives are not governed by trying to get our 15 minutes of fame by bring present at an otherwise non-noteworthy event. Think of the passengers who took the inaugural cruise of the Titanic. :rolleyes:

For those that are worried they will be be guinea pigs on a shakedown cruise - I don't think there should be cause for worry. Apparantly there are 4 or 5 other sailings before this one (travel agents, press, VIP's, etc) to help "iron out the bugs".

Also - my understanding is they are only selling half the ship on this 2 night cruise but there will still will be full staff on board so I would think the service and experience would be even better than usual.

I will be sailing and I think it'll be great to be on a big ship that is only half full.

This has been happening alot in recent years. This is why I cancelled my soon to be booked Oasis cruise. When it comes they will have per-inagrual sailings ect6 so we are not the first ones. Plus if you watch they have sailings in Europe first anyway. What they should be saying is it is the first long (maiden) cruise from the US.

Archived