Man missing on Independence of the Seas

A&L_Ont

I checked the boards and didn't see it posted yet, if it is sorry about the repost. A Canadian man went missing yesterday and wasn't found on board this ship. From my news links it does not have a lot of information a this point in time. Here is the link. It is rather strange as they say he went missing, they didn't say he went over. Hope this turns out to be a good news story but I am doubting it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canadian-man-missing-from-caribbean-cruise-1.2481041

Merion Mom is on board, so I wonder if she will post on her bits and pieces thread found here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962537

Those reports refer to the Adventure of the Seas, earlier in the week, the OP is talking about the Independence of the Seas.

This isn't the one the OP was referring to. This guy is mssing but no conformation he went overboard just missing from Grand Cayman

Also it in no way does it makes a cruise line look bad....people jump off buildings, bridges and whatever else.

Edited by Midwestgal

I found another link... It really makes you think about how important leaving a note prior to leaving the cabin is, such as "going for coffee, see you shortly". Perhaps say what time it is, where you are going, and what time you expect to return.

Without CC tv proof of where he went makes you wonder if they looked under the bed? How far could one go without video proof??

http://news.sky.com/story/1189034/cruise-ship-passenger-missing-off-caymans

I found another link... It really makes you think about how important leaving a note prior to leaving the cabin is, such as "going for coffee, see you shortly". Perhaps say what time it is, where you are going, and what time you expect to return.

Without CC tv proof of where he went makes you wonder if they looked under the bed? How far could one go without video proof??

I very much agree with you. It is always good for someone else to have a general idea of what your plans are. Typically, if we are going to deviate from them to any great extent and can't copmmunicate the change we will leave a voice mail on the cabin phone. It is simple to do, takes no time at all, and provides some peace of mind as to what everyone is up to and that they are ok.

We will be sailing in may .I was sadden to hear about the person missing but in NO way would we have any bad feelings about the cruise line. I am sure they feel just as sad for the gentleman as we all do and in no way should any one feel RC SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. JUDY

I agree, it's a good idea.

My thoughts are with the family of this man lets hope all is well even if this hope is unlikely.

I sleep walk when I get warm and have been known to be found in hotel receptions. First thing my partner does when we go to bed is block the doors particularly on cruises as he cam sleep through anything

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My thoughts are with the family of this man lets hope all is well even if this hope is unlikely.

I sleep walk when I get warm and have been known to be found in hotel receptions. First thing my partner does when we go to bed is block the doors particularly on cruises as he cam sleep through anything

Wow -- sounds like quite an adventure travelling with you ! Your partner must come home from vacations even more tired !

Wow -- sounds like quite an adventure travelling with you ! Your partner must come home from vacations even more tired !

We have a routine now and I haven't escaped for a while although last year was our first cruise and he was very nervous as we had a balcony cabin.

Suppose it means I think the worst when you hear stories like this.

.....why do they refer to " missing" ? They have witnesses to where he went. :confused:

It seems as though they have no idea. As I mentioned earlier with CC TV you think they should have some idea to where the gentleman went to.

We're going to try something new on our April Trans Atlantic - we bought small white boards for our doors (they're magnetic) to let our group know where we're at (there are 6 of us). We took one with us on our Christmas cruise but kept it inside (since it was just us) and left messages for our cabin steward and he in turn wrote us back. It was quite fun! :D

It seems a little strange that Cruise Critic does not have this or the previous overboard story in the News section of their website. Is the cruise industry trying to hush these events up? Would seem like this cruise news would be appropriate on a cruise website.

It seems a little strange that Cruise Critic does not have this or the previous overboard story in the News section of their website. Is the cruise industry trying to hush these events up? Would seem like this cruise news would be appropriate on a cruise website.

Someone choosing to kill themselves is not news. It is a personal tragedy, but not news. IMHO.

The hallway camera should be able to confirm whether or not he left the room after they went there as the wife says. Surprised at the utter silence on this subject. CC poster Merion Mom is on this sailing - I would imagine she will have some information when she returns. It is always so very sad to hear of these things - I can never understand how ANYONE can fall. Jump yet, fall no.