Bermuda Day - Monday 25th May

cricket200

We will be in Bermuda for "Bermuda Day" this year arriving on the Norwegian Dawn from Boston - from my research it is hard to tell if the buses and ferries will be running a Sunday schedule? Also wondering if places like the caves and the museums will be closed?

Thanks for all your help!

Bermuda Day is a major public holiday, so bus and ferry service will run on a Sunday schedule. However, the Orange Route ferry from Dockyard to St. George's may have service that day (it doesn't run on Sunday, so operating on the Sunday schedule would mean no service on that line) because it's a chartered boat brought in from the US and operated by a US captain and first mate (assuming they've made the same arrangements this year as they in the two previous years).

You are so awesome with the answers NJHorseman. You know as much as a local. I think the Bda department of tourism should put you on salary, or, at the very least, throw a free trip your way. I was wondering if maybe the Royal Gazette online or the Bermuda Sun online might have info about what's open/what's running like the US papers publish for holiday Mondays here.

Bermuda Day is a major public holiday, so bus and ferry service will run on a Sunday schedule. However, the Orange Route ferry from Dockyard to St. George's may have service that day (it doesn't run on Sunday, so operating on the Sunday schedule would mean no service on that line) because it's a chartered boat brought in from the US and operated by a US captain and first mate (assuming they've made the same arrangements this year as they in the two previous years).

Thanks

You are so awesome with the answers NJHorseman. You know as much as a local. I think the Bda department of tourism should put you on salary, or, at the very least, throw a free trip your way. I was wondering if maybe the Royal Gazette online or the Bermuda Sun online might have info about what's open/what's running like the US papers publish for holiday Mondays here.

Good idea - i (obviously) never thought about checking the papers!

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment. We love Bermuda and only wish we lived there.

Yes, it's a good idea to check the local press:

Royal Gazette: http://www.royalgazette.com

Bernews: http://www.bernews.com

Unfortunately the Bermuda Sun is no longer in business.

We will also be in Bermuda on Bermuda Day.

I want to know the bus/ferry timings to go to Crystal Caves after 2pm and returning also if possible please and attend the Parade after visiting the caves..Also, at what time would the Bermuda Day Parade start?

Thank you!

Edited by firsttime_cruiser2015

We will also be in Bermuda on Bermuda Day.

I want to know the bus/ferry timings to go to Crystal Caves after 2pm and returning also if possible please and attend the Parade after visiting the caves..Also, at what time would the Bermuda Day Parade start?

Thank you!

The parade normally starts at about 1 or 1:30, so if you're going to the caves in the afternoon you're not going to be able to see the parade.

Here are the bus and ferry schedules. The #1 and #3 bus routes will take you to the caves. Transportation will run on a Sunday schedule. Allow plenty of time because I would expect the buses and ferries to be crowded with people traveling to and from the holiday activities:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_20064_959_235551_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/department_of_public_transportation_2014/downloads/bus_schedule_april_2015.pdf

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf

The parade normally starts at about 1 or 1:30, so if you're going to the caves in the afternoon you're not going to be able to see the parade.

Here are the bus and ferry schedules. The #1 and #3 bus routes will take you to the caves. Transportation will run on a Sunday schedule. Allow plenty of time because I would expect the buses and ferries to be crowded with people traveling to and from the holiday activities:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_20064_959_235551_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/department_of_public_transportation_2014/downloads/bus_schedule_april_2015.pdf

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf

Thank you for the link- So how long does the parade normally last for if it starts at 1-1:30pm? Would it be worth trying to make it to see the parade or should we just skip it if we're not going to see it anyways?

Also, are the caves open on Bermuda Day? I tried contacting them from the website- but the email bounced back and their number also does not work.

Thank you for the link- So how long does the parade normally last for if it starts at 1-1:30pm? Would it be worth trying to make it to see the parade or should we just skip it if we're not going to see it anyways?

Also, are the caves open on Bermuda Day? I tried contacting them from the website- but the email bounced back and their number also does not work.

I have no idea how long the parade runs and I've never been in Bermuda on Bermuda Day, so I can't say how interesting it would be to tourists. (I could tell you about Peppercorn Day...yes it's a real holiday...which was yesterday, April 22, but I doubt you or anyone else here would be interested ;) ).

I'm reasonably sure the caves are open on Bermuda Day, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just phoned Bermuda tourism and the gentleman there said that as of now all attractions (caves, museums etc.) will be open their normal hours but cautioned me that in the past some attractions only opened with reduced hours so his advice was to assume that they would be open 10-3!

He also said that the ferry to St. Georges from the dockyard would operate its normal Monday schedule.

Hope this helps?

I just phoned Bermuda tourism and the gentleman there said that as of now all attractions (caves, museums etc.) will be open their normal hours but cautioned me that in the past some attractions only opened with reduced hours so his advice was to assume that they would be open 10-3!

He also said that the ferry to St. Georges from the dockyard would operate its normal Monday schedule.

Hope this helps?

Thank you- do you anything about ferry to Hamilton whether it would operate its normal hours? Is there a phone number you can give to me?