Pacific Far East Lines

Does anyone remember the Pacific Far East Lines....most of their ships were what were called Reefer ships...in that they carried perishable goods..

fresh produce, meats, etc....they also carried 14 passangers...

I worked for a company on Okinawa that was the ships agent there...they were great ship, and sailed a very tight scheldue...from SF to Japan, the Okinawa about every 24 days..round trip....

jus me...jim

• 10 months later...

Hi Jim,

I came on this ste looking for information regarding Pacific Far East Linesas a research project for a book that I'm writing. I remember PFEL very well.

My family and I went to Korea as missionaries aboard the Golden Bear in the winter of 1956. The schedule, as we left San Francisco was to sail to Japan, on to Okinawa, and then to Pusan. This should have taken about 21 days, being a nice, leisurely, enjoyable cruise. The fact is, that we were aboard ship from the 14th of November, to the 25th of December!

It's Sunday morning right now, so I don't have time to tell you the whole story, but it's about as a hair-raising, and riveting event, as anyone has ever heard. Tomorrow I'll send you all the details I think you'll really enjoy the story. In fact, by the time I'm done, this event will take up one whole chapter of my book.

God Bless,

Rob

• 1 year later...
Does anyone remember the Pacific Far East Lines....most of their ships were what were called Reefer ships...in that they carried perishable goods..

fresh produce, meats, etc....they also carried 14 passangers...

I worked for a company on Okinawa that was the ships agent there...they were great ship, and sailed a very tight scheldue...from SF to Japan, the Okinawa about every 24 days..round trip....

By international agreements and US maritime laws since 1936, TWELVE passengers.

YAY PFEL! miss them...and APL as an American flag line...but I write books about American merchant ships and have my favorites.

• 8 months later...

Trying to contact jim texas jim / solo jim from texas wife aggie

we travelled with him on board royal princess sept 2007 holy land tour need to contact re change of address and circumstanstes

wonder if he would be guide back to israel with shakran for other widow and myself and friends party of 5 plus him and sharkarah

as he had travewlled before require to go again to masadada

but would like extendendeded tour for self and friends teaxas jim knew a lot aout this arrea

lol joybelles 9

• 6 months later...

Hi......sorry I haven't been on for a while, but I think you have the wrong Jim.....I haven't sailed on Princess.... On the Dalphin, Ocean Breeze on the Sea Breeze, the Ncl Dream (2) and the Star...and going on the Dawn in 5 weeks.....I was on Okinawa for 6 years. Sorry can't help you out......jus me....jim

• 4 years later...

Hello there,

i have come to this site,to find out if anyone knows Capt. Archibald Cook he was Commanding on May10, 1966 Pacific far East Lines. I have run across a small book and a Dinner Menu from that Date, Carson Barron was the Cook, and at the bottom it says

HAHA,OKINAWA

RYUKYU ISLANDS, If any one could help me on info with this I would apperciate it, Inside the Book it says as Follows,

In His Love Mother Mae

Thank you so Much, I would love to find his Family:)

• 2 years later...

I was hired in 1957 as a reservation agent for rhe SS Leilani, an old passenger ship that PFEL represented and hoped to compete with the SS Lurline. But I was too young and inexperienced so I was transferred and was PFEL's teletype operator in L.A. for the next two years. Had to quit when I became pregnant. Only person I remember was Harry Regan who was one of the men responsible for bringing the Dodgers to LA.

• 1 year later...

Not a PFEL freighter, but I think the ship carried some cargo. I sailed on S. S. Monterey from Los Angeles to Hawaii, an around Hawaii cruise, and back to Los Angeles with a prior stop in San Francisco. PFEL had acquired the Monterey and the Mariposa after Matson had left the passenger business. A very nice small ship with very good service, food, and very appropriate entertainment for a Hawaiian oriented cruise. A memorable highlight was our departure from Honolulu's Aloha Tower for the return trip to California. The Cruise Director (who was a singer with a tremendously great voice) teamed with an equally talented member of the Cruise Staff, left the ship to stand on an open air balcony on the Pier, and both sang the Hawaiian Wedding Song just prior to our departure. The Captain was blowing the ship's whistle just as they finished. Streamers and leis were tossed overboard. The "tradition" of if your lei floated back towards the shore, you would return to Hawaii. Mine did and I have!