Price changes after booking

We recently booked a cruise with Cunard for April next year only to find that, less than a week later, the prices have reduced by a further 5% and still with the same on board credit etc. To make matters worse the price has now decreased by a further £50 per person!

Thought booking early was the right thing to do to get the best price but obviously I was mistaken. Lesson learnt for next time! :(

We recently booked a cruise with Cunard for April next year only to find that, less than a week later, the prices have reduced by a further 5% and still with the same on board credit etc. To make matters worse the price has now decreased by a further £50 per person!

Thought booking early was the right thing to do to get the best price but obviously I was mistaken. Lesson learnt for next time! :(

Please check with your travel agent. Depending upon Cunard's policy and your time until cruising, you might be entitled to the reduction. It's generally issued in the form of onboard credit, but a refund is also possible ... again, it's a matter of the cruise line's policy, and your agent should know.

These days, with bookings sluggish, cruise lines are resorting to price drops more frequently, in an effort to fill the ship ... empty staterooms produce zero revenue. With the economy in its current condition, it now appears as if booking closer to the sail date is more advantageous to one's wallet. Whatever you pay, have a great crossing!

Al

With whom did you book the cruise? Have you paid in full? If so, you might get onboard credit equal to the fare reduction. If you'd made a deposit only, you should be eligible for a fare reduction or OBC.

Make some phone calls, and good luck!

Our cruise price dropped after final payment date and our agents American Airlines got us upgraded and OBC. They didn't charge us a dime for the various upgrades we've made since our original booking. We started OV, went to balcony, added a little more for concierge C2 with the gamble that if prices reduced we could get upgraded to

C1 without adding extra money.

It appears that there was still a price difference of $158 after upgraded and AA have honoured this, not Celebrity. We have this on our Invoice which will be given to us when we check-in.

I think they have been very fair and a pleasure to work with. They are also available 24 hours a day - 7 days a week which is great as we don't live in the US.

Their telephone number is also free fone for outside the US.

I think next time around we will book closer to the sail date i.e. after final payment date and see what offers we can find unless there's a destination that we just can't miss.

I had booked early with ROL on RC IOS, we got what we thought was a good price, then our relations booked this week and got the next grade up cabin that equates to a saving of £330 per person for the same price that we paid.

So I contacted ROL who said they would contact RC to see if they could get a better deal, they phoned me back and said RC or ROL could not give any better deal IE a upgrade or a on board credit increase, even after I threatened to cancel they would not budge. :( never mind I tried, don't cost to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

We ran into this situation w/ Costa. My sister spent 4 hours on the phone with the travel agent. The TA had to call Costa 4 different times. Finally we were upgraded to a much higher deck. used to get OBC when there was a price change, but apparently no more.

Lucky sis has more patience than me!

• 2 weeks later...
Our cruise price dropped after final payment date and our agents American Airlines got us upgraded and OBC. They didn't charge us a dime for the various upgrades we've made since our original booking. We started OV, went to balcony, added a little more for concierge C2 with the gamble that if prices reduced we could get upgraded to

C1 without adding extra money.

It appears that there was still a price difference of $158 after upgraded and AA have honoured this, not Celebrity. We have this on our Invoice which will be given to us when we check-in.

I think they have been very fair and a pleasure to work with. They are also available 24 hours a day - 7 days a week which is great as we don't live in the US.

Their telephone number is also free fone for outside the US.

I think next time around we will book closer to the sail date i.e. after final payment date and see what offers we can find unless there's a destination that we just can't miss.

My Celebrity Cruise that I booked at C2 cabin back in July for Jan 31st has dropped before final payment and we were able to gain a savings of $100 from the original price for the same C2 cabin. Well the price has just dropped yet again with Celebrity's 2-for-1 sale. Unfortunately I have made the final payment and I am NOT :mad:eligible for the $300 lower price :eek:. According to my TA, back in May 2010 Celebrity stopped offering OBC if the price drops after final Payment. I am not happy about this :mad:... not at all.. :mad:

I could be elegible for the 2-for-1 but I would have to cancel my current booking - $200 and I would lose my OBC - $50 so the $50 gain is not worth the hassle...

I agree with your Statement that I highlighted in BLUE BOLD above! Next time around I will just book Airline Tickets / Hotels and just wait...

I was not happy with what I was told by ROL, so I contacted the CEO in Miami at RC, thought I might get a better favouble reply, but they sent my email to the UK RC and still no movement on any reductions, seeing as this is my 1st cruise with them, I don't think they are bothered, but if I was a frequent cruiser with them no doubt they would make more of a effort.

Could not fault P&O for their customer relations, mind you that was a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...

we booked in June of 2010, the price dropped 3 times before final payment. I booked thru NCL, called each time, and got the decrease. We saved 600.00 per person in the end. It was painless dealing with NCL. We are very pleased. Each decrease was done instantly and email sent to confirm. No more price drops now, our cabin category is sold out. Unless we get the "call" from the fairy. But am happy with the suite we have on deck 12. Dona

I usually book my cruises early often up to a year before hand. I periodically (often) check my travel agents website and the cruise line website for price reductions. If I see a reduction on either, I send an immediate email to my travel agent and/or make a call. Sometimes, I have gotten up to 3 price reductions before making final payment. Just got my second reduction on Princess April 25, 2011, Panama Canal cuise. So far I have saved $300 per passenger.

So it is okay to book early, but check pricing often. Especially when you here there is a 1 day or special sale going on. Act quickly or the reduction my disappear.

We had booked with Princess for the Panama Canal cruise last Spring and the price dropped about $200 three different times. The first two occasions, Princess rebooked at the lower fare and the third time we upgraded from balcony to mini suite for about what we had originally committed to pay. It only took a phone call to Princess each time and they were only too happy to oblige.

Only in the last couple of years have I become more aware of pricing and load control (like the airlines).

As others have said, in 2009 we booked early on a Barcelona/Venice late May and Princess accommodated two significant price reductions so that our final payment ended up about half the original fee (balcony). The ship and the experience (we organized multiple private tours) was excellent.

This year we are on X-Constellation round-trip Amsterdam early June. I was lazy in booking and a balcony began increasing price. Now, two large balcony categories are sold out and our cabin category has increased by $1200! The advantage of early booking is selection of those specific cabins. Perhaps the original Celebrity pricing was effective (other ships were more expensive). I have noticed, however, that some cruise lines (not to be identified here) have run significant "sales" in which the price has not gone down from the original listing, but the "retail" price has gone up! Good to either book early, follow regularly, or remain flexible and consider multiple cruise lines and cruise dates. Of course, if you are trying to coordinate land vacations, airline discounts, and travel with others, things can get complicated! :)

OMG am I stupid or what? Somebody give me some advise. I literally just booked with NCL two days ago. I got my email and then went online. Guess what-My BA "upgrade" is $100 cheaper than what I paid. I called my agent at NCL and left a message but...I'm scared from reading the remarks.

You see, She asked if I wanted to pay all now or pay deposit then on Monday pay the balance...and I said go ahead and charge it all, now I think I may have cost myself some money CRAP!

OMG am I stupid or what? Somebody give me some advise. I literally just booked with NCL two days ago. I got my email and then went online. Guess what-My BA "upgrade" is $100 cheaper than what I paid. I called my agent at NCL and left a message but...I'm scared from reading the remarks.

You see, She asked if I wanted to pay all now or pay deposit then on Monday pay the balance...and I said go ahead and charge it all, now I think I may have cost myself some money CRAP!

As others have said.. pay now / pay later -- if you are happy with the price when you originally book it then be just that - Happy and enjoy the cruise :D

Generally after Final Payment has been made it is tough to get price reductions... you MIGHT get an upgrade.. but don't hold your breath...

Towards the sailing date of the Cruise - most cruiselines will have crazy deals to help fill the ship! Because as we all know they make their money on the Booze, Gambling (Definitely Bingo - though I won't divulge as that is a whole paragraph or two just on Bingo - hahaha) not on the Cruise fare. So even if they fill a room that I am paying $1300 for at a price of $900 -- they will still make the same $$ on average based on everything else :)

This is my 100th Post :-) haha

We booked a Baltic cruise sailing in May 2009 on Princess, 1 yr in advance with a TA. We checked on princess.com periodically to see the price had gone down. It went down 3-4 times before we made final payment. The final result was a savings of $1200 a person. It was awesome!:D So keep checking.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a Princess Baltic Cruise in December and have only put down a deposit. I just noticed the price had lowered $61.00 per person and that is for non-Captain's Circle cruisers so it might be even lower for me. I am going to call Princess Monday and see if they will reduce my fare. Crossing my fingers!;)

Help pleeeeeeeze.

Does this only happen to travellers who book in the USA/Canada or has anyone experienced it in the UK ?

We booked sept 2010 for a family Golden Wedding Celebration with Celebrity in March 2012 (which happened to coincide with the Easter Holidays so grandchildren could accompany us)

Do we need to check prices or just enjoy the holiday???

I booked a Princess Baltic Cruise in December and have only put down a deposit. I just noticed the price had lowered $61.00 per person and that is for non-Captain's Circle cruisers so it might be even lower for me. I am going to call Princess Monday and see if they will reduce my fare. Crossing my fingers!;)

I contacted Princess yesterday and they lowered my fair to the current fair. I doubt it will go down any lower as this cruise is almost sold out. It was only $122.00 total but I am still very happy about it and try to save money anyway I can!:)

Help pleeeeeeeze.

Does this only happen to travellers who book in the USA/Canada or has anyone experienced it in the UK ?

We booked sept 2010 for a family Golden Wedding Celebration with Celebrity in March 2012 (which happened to coincide with the Easter Holidays so grandchildren could accompany us)

Do we need to check prices or just enjoy the holiday???

I am a fanatic.... I check Celebrity's website Every Tuesday after I book a cruise - sometimes I get it 2-3 times that week. It has paid off on both of my 2 most recent cruises. The 10 nigth Med cruise we went from Cat 2B to Cat C2 and we paid $200 total less for the C2 over the original price of the 2B. On the cruise coming up in a few weeks - We booked C2 as the price at the time was only $49pp over the cost of 1A. Well worth the $98 to get an extra cruise credit. So then a few months later there was a $99pp price drop for C2 so that saved us $198 over the original price. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived