Plane Ticket Prices to SJU

colesc15

We purchased our tickets for May from Phoenix for $419 pp a month ago on AA. We were trying to wait until the SWA prices were released, but we were able to catch a price drop that only lasted a few days. It was a decent price so we went ahead and booked. Airfare is always a gamble. Once I find a fair price I book and then don't look back. If the price goes up I will probably feel great about my purchase, but if it goes down any lower I will be frustrated since I am stuck with my purchase. The only thing you can be sure of is that you are going to pay premium prices at holidays and spring break. Spring break usually begins in February and ends in April, so a long time of high prices. However, March is probably the peak, therefore the highest prices.

Our May cruise is Saturday to Saturday. The last time we flew out of San Juan we discovered that Monday was indeed a huge price difference. However, this time the price was the same. Also, we are going to be gone over two weeks as it is with our B2B cruise, so we will be anxious to return to see the furry family members left behind.;)

When JetBlue opened our flights for January back in June, it was $185 for a nonstop flight from Boston to San Juan and return. A few days later when I booked, the flight down was still $185 but the flight home was up to $240. I took the $185 flight down and That flight is now $275. I decided to wait to book the flight home thinking it would drop back to $185. Needless to say, it is now up to $405 (ouch) so I booked my flights home on Southwest into Manchester, NH and used mileage. I got the flights home free but now had to book transportation since I'm flying from/to different airports. I also hate stopping but for a family of 5, $405 each is just way too much money to pay for the nonstop flights.

Sad part is my DD BF decided to join us, now he has to pay the $275 on Jet Blue and $319 for the SW flight to fly with us.

Edited by girlscruise2011

Tickets were a little bit cheaper coming back Monday but not by much. The tickets here at our local airport finally dropped below $1000 a piece (down to 800 a person) so I just booked them. Come to find out after I booked them, even though I didn't pay to upgrade to first class, all of our flights except one were in first class for whatever reason. :) so now I can save on baggage since we can each have up to three checked bags for free. So there's a savings of like 200 right there :) I was shocked about the first class part and I even called to confirm firm I was seeing it right, and I was!

I bought my air to SJU the minute SWA opened flights for those dates. March 27-Apr 6 was about $400/seat; now its much higher. Used a combination of a voucher from bumped flight, past flight credits and small amount of cash which is the ONLY reason why I am doing that cruise. With the three day early arrival we've got a rental car and a hotel on the west side of the island and will bum around for a few days prior to boarding the ship.

Typically air to SJU this time of year starts around $400 from most places. As others have mentioned, if you can depart out of FL or in NY, you may find less costly flights. But it won't be cheap.

I actually had three trips booked for this time period, and was going to cancel two depending on the price of air. Since I was able to get my seats when SWA opened up flights and my cash expense is so little, I kept the SJU cruise and the other trips were cancelled.

I bought my air to SJU the minute SWA opened flights for those dates. March 27-Apr 6 was about $400/seat; now its much higher. Used a combination of a voucher from bumped flight, past flight credits and small amount of cash which is the ONLY reason why I am doing that cruise. With the three day early arrival we've got a rental car and a hotel on the west side of the island and will bum around for a few days prior to boarding the ship.

Typically air to SJU this time of year starts around $400 from most places. As others have mentioned, if you can depart out of FL or in NY, you may find less costly flights. But it won't be cheap.

I actually had three trips booked for this time period, and was going to cancel two depending on the price of air. Since I was able to get my seats when SWA opened up flights and my cash expense is so little, I kept the SJU cruise and the other trips were cancelled.

Since I started looking back in may, the tickets for this time frame have been right around $1000 a person anywhere near where I live.. When I saw they dropped 200 a person and was going to be assigned first class I jumped all over it.. It said I could upgrade to first class for like 1500 more per person, but yet it did me first class anyways :)

Try booking flights with Delta to and from airports were Jetblue and Southwest and even Airtran have outgoing flights to SJU. That way you can take advantage of your vouchers and maybe getting a good deal with the other airline. But you'll have to book separate instead of connecting in order for this to work. Either way, like they said, it's Spring Break and a LOT of people want to fly into PR so I think no matter what, you'll be having some out-of-pocket expense. How much would depend on how you book. Good Luck!!

That would be Atlanta and BWI? (except Jet Blue). I don't think they are driving to Atlanta.

Edited by WeatherBoy

We purchased our tickets for May from Phoenix for $419 pp a month ago on AA. We were trying to wait until the SWA prices were released, but we were able to catch a price drop that only lasted a few days. It was a decent price so we went ahead and booked. Airfare is always a gamble. Once I find a fair price I book and then don't look back. If the price goes up I will probably feel great about my purchase, but if it goes down any lower I will be frustrated since I am stuck with my purchase. The only thing you can be sure of is that you are going to pay premium prices at holidays and spring break. Spring break usually begins in February and ends in April, so a long time of high prices. However, March is probably the peak, therefore the highest prices.

Our May cruise is Saturday to Saturday. The last time we flew out of San Juan we discovered that Monday was indeed a huge price difference. However, this time the price was the same. Also, we are going to be gone over two weeks as it is with our B2B cruise, so we will be anxious to return to see the furry family members left behind.;)

You bought way to early, IMO, but I don't know what a good fare is from PHX. I always wait for SW to announce their fares then look for matches.

and it appears lots of people here have it. I guess I've been spoiled here in ATL with low airfares for the last 20 years (thank you ValuJet/AirTran). Since SW has been taking over AirTran the fares are nowhere like they used to be and the 'sales' are, for the most part, fake or gimmicks. We are going to miss AirTran....:(

Edited by WeatherBoy

and it appears lots of people here have it. I guess I've been spoiled here in ATL with low airfares for the last 20 years (thank you ValuJet/AirTran). Since SW has been taking over AirTran the fares are nowhere like they used to be and the 'sales' are, for the most part, fake or gimmicks. We are going to miss AirTran....:(

Flying from north Midwest has always have high prices.. and ive always gone in March for Spring break.. the way I view these tickets.. with the two vouchers we had, we paid like $450 a ticket (once you take out the $400 per person vouchers) for 1st class.. and three free bags per person.

I am not brand loyal when it comes to flight service. I tend to check Kayak(dot)com to start and then the main websites for all carriers (sometimes a little cheaper than what I see on Kayak for the same flight). I also "shop" the rates for flying out of different airports within about 2 hours of home (Nashville, Cincy, Lexington, Louisville, Indy).

We lucked into R/T tickets from Indianapolis to SJU for $305 per person via Southwest in mid-January.

Since we are in the Louisville KY area, we will have to drive two hours NORTH but with four of us going, the total savings for that 2 hour drive is $320 under the rate for our home airport! Very much worth driving to Indy at 4am for a 7am flight!

Edited by Messunderstood

I am not brand loyal when it comes to flight service. I tend to check Kayak(dot)com to start and then the main websites for all carriers (sometimes a little cheaper than what I see on Kayak for the same flight). I also "shop" the rates for flying out of different airports within about 2 hours of home (Nashville, Cincy, Lexington, Louisville, Indy).

We lucked into R/T tickets from Indianapolis to SJU for $305 per person via Southwest in mid-January.

Since we are in the Louisville KY area, we will have to drive two hours NORTH but with four of us going, the total savings for that 2 hour drive is $320 under the rate for our home airport! Very much worth driving to Indy at 4am for a 7am flight!

Very nice! With me going in March, and from upper mid west, nothing within 6 hours was under $800 a person. Currently, around $1000 a person

Finally bit the bullet and bought tickets today.. Flying there Friday, coming home Sunday.

Good, because we flew from Philadelphia to San Juan last Thanksgiving week for our cruise. Left late Friday afternoon, returned Sunday after the cruise. It cost us $600 per ticket round-trip and I was watching prices like a HAWK. At $700 during Spring Break from Wisconsin sounds like a good deal, believe it or not. I even was on the JetBlue site the day prices were posted and they were higher than $600 round-trip. I think the key to cruising out of San Juan and getting a low airfare is to book during the off-season.

Actually, it's because of the very high airfare last year to San Juan and the year before to Miami/Fort Lauderdale that I booked this year's cruise within driving distance. I'm also looking into booking 2014 cruise within driving distance.

I'm disgusted with the high airfare lately! :mad:

I think the key to cruising out of San Juan and getting a low airfare is to book during the off-season.

Very true. That holds true for most popular destinations. That is one reason we choose to cruise during the shoulder season, unless we can drive to the port. For us that means LA or San Diego, with very limited options, none with RCI.:(

Our prices to San Juan for May 1 - May 17 were $419 from PHX on AA. We were happy with that price. I paid over $600/ticket to Oahu a couple of years ago and that was a good price. Plus, for us, it's closer!

Another thing you can do is to use a travel rewards CC for all of your purchases. There are many out there. SWA sometimes has a promotion with their visa - spend $3,000 in 3 months and get enough points for two free r/t tickets. The card has a $75 annual fee, but that was ok when you figured the cost of an airline tickets. You can cancel the card later if you won't use it. That is how we flew to FLL this past May. It cost me $20 plus the $75 fee. So, $95 total for two r/t. Normally I like my no-fee Discover card that I can apply to any travel purchases. It cuts the cost of travel significantly.

Very true. That holds true for most popular destinations. That is one reason we choose to cruise during the shoulder season, unless we can drive to the port. For us that means LA or San Diego, with very limited options, none with RCI.:(

Our prices to San Juan for May 1 - May 17 were $419 from PHX on AA. We were happy with that price. I paid over $600/ticket to Oahu a couple of years ago and that was a good price. Plus, for us, it's closer!

Another thing you can do is to use a travel rewards CC for all of your purchases. There are many out there. SWA sometimes has a promotion with their visa - spend $3,000 in 3 months and get enough points for two free r/t tickets. The card has a $75 annual fee, but that was ok when you figured the cost of an airline tickets. You can cancel the card later if you won't use it. That is how we flew to FLL this past May. It cost me $20 plus the $75 fee. So, $95 total for two r/t. Normally I like my no-fee Discover card that I can apply to any travel purchases. It cuts the cost of travel significantly.

I am flying home from San Juan in January on SW on points from their credit card for my family of 5 :eek:.

It cost me $99 for the annual fee plus $55 for extra points I had to buy to get enough for the 5th flight. Its saving me a fortune but I purchased my flights to San Juan on Jet Blue through Boston but now I am flying home into Manchester, NH. Even with the costs of the transportation to the airports, its still a great savings. Definately worth looking into for people looking to save some money on flights.

Edited by girlscruise2011

Originally I was worried since I had to strictly go with Delta since I had the vouchers, but even after looking at other tickets from Southwest, etc, the prices weren't much different from my area.. All were pretty much right around the same price

Originally I was worried since I had to strictly go with Delta since I had the vouchers, but even after looking at other tickets from Southwest, etc, the prices weren't much different from my area.. All were pretty much right around the same price

How did you manage to get first class without paying the extra $$'s for it..I'm confused :confused::confused:

We just paid 483 per person from DTW-SJU April 5-13)on AA. We have been a longtime Delta customer but they are and have been almost double. We were going to wait for Southwest schedule to come out but had expected them to be $450. Of note, make sure you check all fare classes....our AA flights are First class down and back with luggage then included, and was cheaper than same flights coach. The next day it was up almost 4x the price and has settled at double what we paid.

From where you are I would really pay attention to JetBlue

How did you manage to get first class without paying the extra $$'s for it..I'm confused :confused::confused:

When I booked them, it automatically put us in first class even though I didn't pay to upgrade to first class. I even called delta to confirm and they said yes. Three free bags per person down there and on the way back :) I could have paid am extra like 1000 per ticket to upgrade to first class so I was shocked when it showed up as that

Edited by colesc15

We just paid 483 per person from DTW-SJU April 5-13)on AA. We have been a longtime Delta customer but they are and have been almost double. We were going to wait for Southwest schedule to come out but had expected them to be $450. Of note, make sure you check all fare classes....our AA flights are First class down and back with luggage then included, and was cheaper than same flights coach. The next day it was up almost 4x the price and has settled at double what we paid.

From where you are I would really pay attention to JetBlue

Jet Blue was about the same price as Delta and they consistently have been since it's peak season

Would love to book the southern caribbean for 2015...we can go any dates (except holidays) so what month should I be looking at and a big consideration is flight prices from the west coast (LAX) ? How would it be best to do this ?..Would prefer to arrive into SJU day of cruise arriving from FLL /MIA where we could overnight a day or two pre-cruise or even post-cruise also to get the best air rates...Thanks for any suggestions...this itinerary and travel has me very confused.:o

Would love to book the southern caribbean for 2015...we can go any dates (except holidays) so what month should I be looking at and a big consideration is flight prices from the west coast (LAX) ? How would it be best to do this ?..Would prefer to arrive into SJU day of cruise arriving from FLL /MIA where we could overnight a day or two pre-cruise or even post-cruise also to get the best air rates...Thanks for any suggestions...this itinerary and travel has me very confused.:o

I would suggest you fly into San Juan one or two days early instead of Florida. Some people on our Roll Call on our Southern Caribbean cruise a few years ago had the same idea and they almost missed the ship due to a weather delay in another part of the country, and our ship didn't sail until 11:00 PM! San Juan has so much to offer it is a shame not to have extra time to spend there. Or stop over in Florida on your way home.

For the best prices try the shoulder seasons. We like late April and early May.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would suggest you fly into San Juan one or two days early instead of Florida. Some people on our Roll Call on our Southern Caribbean cruise a few years ago had the same idea and they almost missed the ship due to a weather delay in another part of the country, and our ship didn't sail until 11:00 PM! San Juan has so much to offer it is a shame not to have extra time to spend there. Or stop over in Florida on your way home.

For the best prices try the shoulder seasons. We like late April and early May.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your timeframe suggestions...Have been to San Juan a few times (port stops) so actually prefer to fly in day of cruise and with the April-May was hoping I won't have to be so concerned with the same day arrival from FLL/MIA.

Thanks so much for your timeframe suggestions...Have been to San Juan a few times (port stops) so actually prefer to fly in day of cruise and with the April-May was hoping I won't have to be so concerned with the same day arrival from FLL/MIA.

If you are coming from the west coast, I would seriously consider flying in a day early. We are in southern California and our flight options for our April 2014 cruise either put us into San Juan late evening (9-10pm) which is much too late to meet the ship, or were red eyes. There are no direct flights that I could find from any west coast airport, which means you now have to factor in plane changes and additional potential for delay. I wouldn't risk it or I would invest in good travel insurance.

Our flights from Las Vegas were $500pp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR