Pacific Islands

Hi,

Going on the 7 night P&O pacific islands cruise next year stopping at noumea, lifou and vila. This is our 1st international cruise and first time out of australia can anyone share how much money they think we would need for these 3 stops for spending and any other general information that you feel would be helpful =) We are a travelling with other family members and our 2 children 2 and 4. TIA :D

Well, how long is a piece of string? It really depends on how much you want to spend. If you don't drink you can get away with very little. Suggest that you bring your own snorkelling gear as the Islands are just magic in this area. There is nothing much to spend your money on in Lifou, just beautiful Island with a couple of great old churches and great reefs for snorkelling. Noumea, just get off the boat and buy tickets on the Chou Chou train or one of the busses there. Much cheaper than buying thru the cruise company. It's not a lovely place but it has interest but there is not much to buy and what there is, is very expensive. Good aquarium

The kids will cost you nothing. The kids clubs on board are free and kids seem to love them. The girls who care fore the "youngins" are to die for and you can leave the kids in confidence. Meals are free in the Waterfront and the Buffet but you can pay, $50.00 to go to SALT and $28.00 to La LUNA, both well worth the experience. Drinks will cost you about $6.00 for a beer and $9.50 up for cocktails. Vila will take A$ - Aussie prices too

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't help myself either. Probably sounded like a smart.... . My wife and I have always budgeted on approx $100 a day which covered drinks (more some days than others), and incidentals any shore excursions are additional but we tend to do our own thing not use ship shore excursions except in ports where the port facilities are a considerable distance from the destination particularly in South East Asia, at least that way the Ship will not leave without you. You can really spend as little or as much as you want.

How much money will you need?

There is really one rule.

Before your cruise, do a trial pack.

Then take only half the amount of clothing you thought you would need ,

and double the amount of money you were going to take.:D