whale sightings?

Hubby & I are cruising on the Pacific Pearl on August 28th from Sydney to Moreton Island.....wondering what people thought our chances would be of some significant whale sightings? I hear it is a bumper season this year especially around the Gold Coast but will we be sailing too far off the coast for more than a glimpse in the distance of these beautiful creatures? Am I just being hopeful? :D

Edited by toowoombatourist
wrong ship listed

Sailing up the coastline you would more likely to see whales than ships out of Brisbane going East, altho we had one whale sighting in July cruise to Fiji, If you have a balcony you would have a good chance on any of the coastal cruises. This year is supposedly a boomer for whales so good luck, Maybe also at Moreton Is. too, there would be a chance.

We are going up the coast at the end of the month, so I have my fingers crossed we will see whales. Friends reported heaps when they were out in their small boat in Hervey Bay. They stopped the engine and whales came right up to the boat. Awesome! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Hervey Bay, and there are HEAPS of whales in the Bay. Some weeks ago a baby whale came within 300 metres of the shore near Enzo's on the Beach Cafe, what a treat for people dining there.

My son & grandson visited us from Singapore a month ago, and we took them whales watching & we lost count of the whales we saw, they came so close to the boat, you felt you could lean out & touch them (but that's not allowed)

Edited by Widebay
spelling errors