Daniel johnson's monkey hangout and snorkel?

momto2js

• 4 weeks later...

Daniel Johnson's Sanctuary is awesome. The monkeys are really friendly and its so neat to hold a sloth. Try Artley from Blue Cool Running Tours. He can do a custom combo to there and also snorkeling. The iguana farm is nearby too and cool to check out.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an amazing day with Daniel. He showed us all around the island and we stopped for a visit at his property to hold the animals. Daniel is extremely well informed and very nice. He answered all our questions and gave a ton of information about the island, the culture, and the animals in his care. I would highly recommend him.

How long did you spend at Daniel's?

About an hour or an hour and a half. We toured around the island, stopped to get local snacks, went to a lighthouse, went back to his place to see the animals and hold the monkeys and sloths. Then we went over to the iguanas because some in our group wanted to do that as well. They paid an additional $10 or so if I remember correctly to do that. Then we went back to the ship. The day with him was from 9-1 because we only had a short day in port (the ship left at 2). I wished we had longer so we could have done the snorkel portion as well.

Had an amazing day with Daniel. He showed us all around the island and we stopped for a visit at his property to hold the animals. Daniel is extremely well informed and very nice. He answered all our questions and gave a ton of information about the island, the culture, and the animals in his care. I would highly recommend him.

Did you do a private tour? Which company did you use?

Edited by dorisdvu

I booked directly with Daniel and he drove us around himself. We were with another family in an air conditioned van. We could have had a separate car if we wanted but we were fine with sharing.

Did you see anything else at Roatan with him?

I was only able to find a Facebook page on Daniel Johnson. Is that how you contacted him? When I look at trip advisor it has reviews of Daniel Johnson's place from Island Marketing Ltd Roatan Cruise Excursions.

I was speaking with a friend who has been to this port several time and she "warned" me against doing any private tours at this port. She said there is a large gate separating the port from the island that has to be opened for you to enter and exit and sometimes it is difficult to get someone to open it. She said it is very dangerous to go outside the gate without being on a cruise excursion.

I'm sorry for so many questions.

I was only able to find a Facebook page on Daniel Johnson. Is that how you contacted him? When I look at trip advisor it has reviews of Daniel Johnson's place from Island Marketing Ltd Roatan Cruise Excursions.

I was speaking with a friend who has been to this port several time and she "warned" me against doing any private tours at this port. She said there is a large gate separating the port from the island that has to be opened for you to enter and exit and sometimes it is difficult to get someone to open it. She said it is very dangerous to go outside the gate without being on a cruise excursion.

He showed us around most of the island while giving information and facts about the culture and people. We stopped at a gas station where he went in with us to recommend snacks and help us order local food. We stopped at a few beaches and also at a little lighthouse you could go up in and get a view of the island from a higher point. He talked a lot about his life and what it was like growing up there. He gave us some information about the local politics and infrastructure. He was really interesting. In some of the other reviews I read, it was his mom that did the tour portion for people.

Yes I contacted him directly though his Facebook page. He normally answered within about 24-48 hours.

Are you going to be docking at Coxen Hole or Mahogany Bay? We were at Mahogany Bay and there was no gate like that but it is owned by Carnival. We just walked out of the area and then up a little hill and all the vendors were there waiting for signs. I would definitely not just rent a car and go driving around myself. Though lots of people do. I'm a bit of a nervous nelly but I felt safe with Daniel. I think if you go with someone who is well reviewed (Victor Bodden, Rony's Tours, Daniel Johnson), or with the cruise line, you will be in great hands. But don't just leave the area with a random vendor or go off by yourself.

We are docking at Mahogany Bay. I've sent a message to him via Facebook. I've looked at Rony's Tours and Bodden's tours as well. I wouldn't just pick anyone. We really want to see the monkeys and sloths and the only place that I found them was Daniel Johnson's and didn't find a ship excursion to his place.

I'm not sure what port my friend was at (I was thinking Mahogany Bay) and she was there as recent as March.

Thanks so much for your information.

Edited by dorisdvu

I'm sure you will have a fantastic day no matter what you pick. It really is a beautiful island and the monkeys and sloths are truly a highlight.

That's really strange about the gate. I really don't remember one at all. Perhaps your friend was off the ship early or coming back late? Or maybe I'm just not remembering clearly.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gosh, I wish I had a better memory so I could give you definitive answers.

Yes it is on the mainland. You will be taken right to Daniel's house. The sloths hangout in trees in his backyard that hang over the ocean.

As far as steps or soft sand, I don't remember any steps at all. The ground is compacted hard sand from what I remember. I would definitely contact Daniel and ask him about accessibility to be sure.

Edited by _beachgirl_

We were able to contact Daniel via facebook when we were in Roatan in October of 2015. We had a fabulous time. I have a fear of monkeys. I know not the place I should be going but Daniel made it sound like his monkeys had had their shots and were healthy. (I would double check this with him) He really does care about his animals. No one at Gumbalina would answer my request for animal health issues. I have taken several taxis out of this port and have had no problems. I've been there 5x via cruise ship and took a taxi each time that I hired while walking out of the port area. I've also spent 17 days on the island as a tourist. I've not had a problem while I've been there. Use common sense and have a good time.