Can I bring a pair of scissors?

fw2020

Here's my experience. At the time DH and I went on our Serenade cruise out of YVR last Oct, I had a medicine that was sealed in foil wrapper. So, I packed tiny scissors. Dang if that machine didn't pick it up. It was a mad house at embarkation with long lines behind us. I was pulled aside and was told about the scissors. I said I need the scissors to open my medicine. The security wanted to see the scissors, and I tried to locate them, but with soo many zippers and having a senior moment, I couldn't remember where I had packed the scissors. We talking small manicure scissors. Sooo, the security person said: "never mind. just keep the scissors in your room and out of sight" or something like that. Sure was glad she let me keep them as I don't know how I would have opened my foiled sealed medicine. We were at the front of the line at the time. Don't know if my "senior status" had anything to do with it. I'm mid 50s.

Hope this helps.

Am I reading correctly that even if I have a small pair of nail scissors, for nail trimming, packed safely in our large suitcase, I am not allowed to take them on board the ship. :confused:

I thought this rule was for on flight bags on plane flights, not on cruise ships.

When we were on the Diamond Princess last Nov. we had nail scissors in our luggage and these weren't confiscated.

Have the rules changed lately? Being down here in Oz we don't always here about the all the latest changes.

Put manicure scissors in your checked luggage, not carry-on. I had them in my purse and getting back on board the ship once, I was stopped. I took them out for the security person and he said since they were so short, they were OK. Keep them in your cabin once on board.

I think getting a steak knife from room service or the dining room is a good back-up, too.

I packed small scissors last year in my first aid kit and it was in my checked baggage. I didn't have a problem on the ship. My bags arrived in my cabin, no problems. It was sort of a children's scissors, those without the pointy blades. Maybe it depends on how long the blades are :confused:

Cindy

After 9/11, I had two pair of scissors taken from me going to the airport security checkpoints. I started putting a pair in the outside zippered part of my checked bag...no problems with that. They're always still there when our luggage arrives outside our cabin.

I love to knit, and was thinking about bringing something to work on while relaxing on my balcony. Will I have a problem?

I bring my knitting needles everywhere, even planes they are allowed. They will sometimes look at them but not problems. I do us plastic ones so maybe that is why.

Yes - you can bring scissors.

I keep a small pair of scissors, ( the blade is about 1 inch) in my toiletry bag. I have NEVER had any problem taking them on any ship. Sometimes the toiletry bag is in my carry-on, and sometimes packed. My last sailing was in January (2010) and I had no problem.

Perhaps if they are worrying about folks taking a pair of scissors, they won’t see my bottle of wine!

M

My DD has braces and food needs to be cut into smaller pieces. Can I bring a pair of scissors or a fruit knife?

Thanks!

Usually OK. However you can always run into an over zelous Rent-A-Cop. DW has always used to bring bandage sissors in a first aid kit. She has flown around the world with them, they have been looked at a few times but because they are not pointed thew were always allowed to pass. That was until we were boarding a ship at Port Everglades. So my answer would be Maybe.

To be on the safe side pack your scissors in an outside pocket of your checked luggage...last year a friend of mine had her small manicure scissors taken by the ships security in Ft. Lauderdale..she could have gotten them back at the end of the cruise, but with rushing to catch a cab forget...

I love to knit, and was thinking about bringing something to work on while relaxing on my balcony. Will I have a problem?

I've taken to using a pair of children's scissors (rounded ends, lots of plastic). They still cut the yarn just fine. Plus they were only about $3 for a package of 2, so if they get confiscated it's no big deal.

I always bring my knitting with. Even on the plane. Most of the time my knitting needles are circular plastic. On a long flight knitting sure helps pass time.

Jan

In March 2010 RCL amended their prohibited items list and now scissors or knives with a blade lengths of under 4 inches are allowed. Up until that time scissors were being confiscated albeit on a rather hit or miss basis.

This list is available on RCL's website.

I want scissors to cut my cable ties when I get my luggage and, also, to cut the tops of my sealed food saver bags in which I have packed liquids.

I take a pair of scissors, open them up and put them in with my jewelry in my jewelry roll packed in my carry on. I figure it would be hard to distinguish the scissors from rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. when the scissors are open.

So far, so good. Knock on wood.

Tucker in Texas

In March 2010 RCL amended their prohibited items list and now scissors or knives with a blade lengths of under 4 inches are allowed. Up until that time scissors were being confiscated albeit on a rather hit or miss basis.

This list is available on RCL's website.

Make sure you tell that to the Rent-A-Cop.

We were on the check in line for the Liberty of the Seas last year. My husband had a lot of needs and one of them was that his feet needed to be bandaged every day. Both my SIL and my husband had packed scissors in their carry on bandaged and were stopped by security. The scissors were confiscated. I explained that they were needed on a daily basis for bandaging my husbands feet and for removing the old bandages...one pair of confiscated scissors were medical scissors. Security told me the scissors would be given back to me on board.

The next day I called for my scissors and was told that I would not get them back for the duration of the trip. I explained my situation, and told them that I was not going to take my husband down to the hospital area to have this procedure preformed. They still refused. I then asked to speak with someone higher up. I never lost my temper, raised my voice or even laughed (as I thought the whole thing was a little ridiculous) and I received a solution that we could all agree upon. They would send someone to my cabin with scissors and they would cut the bandages off and then wait until we bandaged my husbands feet.

Since we were in the royal suite they sent the concierge, who at this time was not the regular concierge. The poor person arrived, hair wet from having to jump into the shower, and preformed the required duty. I explained our dilemma and then informed this person that we did not change my husband's bandage at the same time each day. About fifteen minutes after the concierge left our room our door bell rang, and low and behold or scissors were given back to us.

I thought this was a long, but amusing story.

As a bit of history, we were scheduled to sail on the Liberty back on March 21, 2010. In January or February there was a cruise critic thread about scisssors being confiscated. We checked the list of prohibited items and sure enough scissors were not allowed.

Lola loves to crochet and of course needed scissors but the RCCL restrictions were more stringent than even the airlines and they were a no-no. I sent an e mail to Adam G's office detailing the need to have scissors for grooming, hobbies, medical needs, etc. and requested that they review the policy.

Within a few days I received a phone call and was advised that they agreed and that the scissor policy would be on the agenda of the next management meeting. After which I received another phone call advising that scissors with blades less than four inches were now accceptable.

We were elated that RCCL responded so quickly to rectify a policy that was excessively restrictive. Sometimes making a positive suggestion via the right channels triumphs over gripping.

We were very impressed with RCCL's executive office's can do attitude. At any rate the new policy went into effect in March 2010 and is reflected in RCCL's list of prohibited items. You shouldn't have any problem in the future.

You cut your kids food with scissors? If he has braces he must be in at least middle school. Both of my boys have had or currently have braces. They would be mordified if I pulled out scissors to cut their food. Or even tried to cut their food for them. What do they do with their school lunch. Sorry, just curious.

Archived