August 8-12 NYC Cruisers Alert

mommyto2girls

I posted this as a heads up in another thread, but in light of the issues some cruisers had leaving NOLA this past week...

Just want to give a heads up to anyone who is cruising out of NYC (Manhattan) August 8-12, 2012. The Iron Man Triathalon Championship is guaranteed to creat major havoc on the midtown manhattan area, cruise terminal areas and local highways. I am only posting this as a heads up to make arrangements accordingly. I am on a committee working for my town in coordination with Port Authority and the City of NY on this event. If you are going to be staying in NYC book your hotels now and as far south of the port as you can. Alot of events originate at Pier 92.

• 4 weeks later...

We sail out on Saturday Aug 11 from the Manhattan pier. What exactly will be happening arround the pier? From the maps, it looks like all of the races are well north of the pier entrance. I have 18 people in my group, so I would like to give them specific do's and don't's.

Thanks.

As I said in my OP I am working on this for my town on the NJ side..everything that is going on will effect the West Side Hwy. There will be road closures and hotels are selling out quickly. Spectators will line the highway. the 79th street boat basin is not that far north and there is a bike turn at 57th street. We do not know what roads will be closed. The starting date is August 8 for events, I was just trying to give folks who do not live here a heads up. Anything that closes roads in this area can cause an issue .

1500 Meter Swim

The race starts on Manhattan's Westside at 98th Street and the Hudson River. The point to point swim course is near the seawall to minimize the effect of the current. Kayakers and other members of the water safety team frame a 20 yard swim lane from start to finish. Athletes swim south and exit near the 79th Street Boat Basin before running into transition. The Hudson River, one of America's most famous waterways, is home to many open water swims and is considered one of the cleanest rivers in New York. Because it feeds into the ocean, it is a salt-water river.

40 Kilometer Bike

The cycling course exits Riverside Park at 79th Street. Athletes enter the northbound entrance of the Henry Hudson Highway, staying in the right lane. Athletes will continue on a moderately hilly course north out of Manhattan, over the Hudson River Bridge, and exit onto the Mosholu Parkway. The course proceeds south on the Mosholu and U-turns at Gunhill Road in the Bronx. Participants will proceed back to the Henry Hudson Parkway and ride south in the Northbound Lane to 57th street where another u-turn will be completed and cyclists will head north and exit the Henry Hudson Parkway at 79th street and proceed back to the transition area. All bicycle traffic will utilize the normally northbound roadway which will be totally closed to vehicular traffic.

The race is on the 11th. What's going on on the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 12th which will be disruptive?

I hope this is self explanatory and if you do not live in this area you may not realize the impact it could have on traffic, hotels etc..

http://ironmanuschampionship.com/files/2010/09/Ironman-US-Championship-Schedule-of-Events-UPDATED.pdf

I hope this is self explanatory and if you do not live in this area you may not realize the impact it could have on traffic, hotels etc..

http://ironmanuschampionship.com/files/2010/09/Ironman-US-Championship-Schedule-of-Events-UPDATED.pdf

Good stuff.

Looks to me like the 11th will be crazy and worth making other plans for. The other days look like big crowds, but nothing out of the ordinary for Midtown Manhattan.

Have a great time at the event!

Good stuff.

Looks to me like the 11th will be crazy and worth making other plans for. The other days look like big crowds, but nothing out of the ordinary for Midtown Manhattan.

Have a great time at the event!

I agree with the 11th except this is very out of the ordinary because it is all on the West Side at Pier 92. I will be working it at Ross Dock on the NJ side so no great time involved..but thanks :)

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on changing my DCL departure from 8/12 to 9/2/12. I changed it last night for the 5 night sailing on the Disney Magic out of NYC. Because of the price decrease for September sailings I was also able to upgrade from an inside 10A to a cat 5C verandah cabin for roughly just $200 more. I am pleased. This also moved our PIF date to June so that also works for us. It also lets us travel to the port on a Sunday via NJT on a light travel day (Labor Day Weekend). I just have to check the

train schedules very carefully.

Is there a particular website that could be recommended so that I can check and see what's going on the days that I will be in NYC for my cruise. We get in on June 8th and leave on the cruise June 9th. Getting back on the 16th.

Not sure if you mean anything "disruptive" or just what is going on in general, living here I can tell you it is a basic who knows what will be going on. There is nothing of specific interest that week. The usual broadway show, concerts, Yankee and Met games etc. we are cruising the Gem June 2 so we will keep it in good shape for you.

Not sure if you mean anything "disruptive" or just what is going on in general, living here I can tell you it is a basic who knows what will be going on. There is nothing of specific interest that week. The usual broadway show, concerts, Yankee and Met games etc. we are cruising the Gem June 2 so we will keep it in good shape for you.

Just wondering about stuff that would interfere with traffic so that I can make adjustments on what time I leave for the pier. We're flying in the day before the cruise and staying at a hotel close to Times Square. So I'll have to get a cab or car service to take us to the pier.

Thanks for keeping the ship in good shape for us! It's my first time on the Gem and my first time on any ship for that matter!! Looking forward to it.:D Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Just wondering about stuff that would interfere with traffic so that I can make adjustments on what time I leave for the pier. We're flying in the day before the cruise and staying at a hotel close to Times Square. So I'll have to get a cab or car service to take us to the pier.

Thanks for keeping the ship in good shape for us! It's my first time on the Gem and my first time on any ship for that matter!! Looking forward to it.:D Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Should be nothing going on that disrupts traffic. You should have no problem just grabbing a cab outside you hotel in Times Square. It is no more than a 10 minute ride to the pier.

Have a great trip.

You will have a great time..tons of cabs around, should not take you more than 5 or 10 minutes from Time Square..enjoy the Gem!

I posted this as a heads up in another thread, but in light of the issues some cruisers had leaving NOLA this past week...

Just want to give a heads up to anyone who is cruising out of NYC (Manhattan) August 8-12, 2012. The Iron Man Triathalon Championship is guaranteed to creat major havoc on the midtown manhattan area, cruise terminal areas and local highways. I am only posting this as a heads up to make arrangements accordingly. I am on a committee working for my town in coordination with Port Authority and the City of NY on this event. If you are going to be staying in NYC book your hotels now and as far south of the port as you can. Alot of events originate at Pier 92.

Thank you for posting this!

We are sailing out of Manhattan on 8/11. We are staying at The Edison Hotel for three nights pre-cruise and will take a taxi/town car to the pier.

We have never been to NYC.

Can you please tell me if we need to change our plans or what we should do to avoid traffic and problems with this event going on?

Thank you!

Toni

It's 1 mile from your hotel to the cruiseport. Me? I'd walk it (47th straight to 12th, then north a few blocks, you can't miss it). Otherwise, a taxi will get you there (or really close) with no problem.

Thank you! :)

Thank you for posting this!

We are sailing out of Manhattan on 8/11. We are staying at The Edison Hotel for three nights pre-cruise and will take a taxi/town car to the pier.

We have never been to NYC.

Can you please tell me if we need to change our plans or what we should do to avoid traffic and problems with this event going on?

Thank you!

Toni

Just give yourself a little extra time..I would not try to walk it...take a cab

Just give yourself a little extra time..I would not try to walk it...take a cab

The way I stress about something happening and missing the ship, I will allow lots of extra time.

I would rather be waiting in the terminal to board than waiting in the hotel room because it's too early to leave.

Thanks!:)

Usually at the NY piers they start boarding around 11:30-12 noon. If you leave your hotel after a leisurely breakfast, and even a walk around Times Square, you will have plenty of time to spare, even if you walk it. :)

The way I stress about something happening and missing the ship, I will allow lots of extra time.

I would rather be waiting in the terminal to board than waiting in the hotel room because it's too early to leave.

Thanks!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived