Seattle Restaurant- We Do Not Like Seafood

Yes, I know Seattle is a fishy kind of city with an abundance of great seafood restaurants. One of the few things DH and I have in common is a dislike for seafood/fish. Sorry, I know lots of peeps love, love it!

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants for us? Local good stuff?

We like steaks, Italian, great pub food, fun stuff....not foodies.

We will have 2 1/2 days pre-cruise and would love some suggestions!

Opinions on these, please, also:

Beth's Cafe - giant omelets

Top Pot Donuts

The Melting Pot - we missed the craze and would like to try it

Benihana - might be a fun thing pre-cruise

The Whisky Bar

Beecham's Mac n Cheese @ Pike Place Market

Yes, I know Seattle is a fishy kind of city with an abundance of great seafood restaurants. One of the few things DH and I have in common is a dislike for seafood/fish. Sorry, I know lots of peeps love, love it!

Top Pot Donuts

The Whisky Bar

was in Seattle a yr or so ago..going on Alaskian cruise in 2013..as far as food you have your pick lots of places to eat at....can't remember the place but it is a hole in wall place across from a best western we ate there great food...23 egg omelet on menu be hungry i guess didn't try that but the other food was good..also a small bar next to a indian staute(chief seattle) was great by space needle sorry cant remember the names.have fun I'm sure somebody here will throw there 10c in

Top Pot Donuts

The Whisky Bar

Beth's is fun, and unique, Top Pots is well thought of. Melting Pot is a middle of the road fondue restaurant, not amazing food, but again, a good time and decent food. Benihana I am not a fan, it is bad Japanese food with a cheesy "show".

Check out the spots below.

Metropolitan Grill is one of the best steak restaurants in the country.

http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/

Wild Ginger is a great Thai and Satay (meat skewers) restaurant.

http://www.wildginger.net/

Tulio at the Hotel Vintage Park is great Italian.

http://www.tulio.com/

Top Pot Donuts

The Whisky Bar

I never had the slightest desire to try fondue, but a family member really wanted it so we tried the Melting Pot...and it was awesome. I highly recommend it!

Top Pot Donuts

The Whisky Bar

Melting Pot, Benihana...sounds like you like your food to come with a show. Ever tried Korean food? They do this Korean barbecue thing where you have a little gas grill in the middle of your table, and they bring you one or a few kinds of meats, plus veggies and rice and other accompaniments, and you grill your own dinner. Some of the meat options are fishy, or more adventurous choices (beef intestine, anyone?), but there are plenty of more recognizable options, too. There's a place near Seattle Center called Shila that does this kind of food, plus other Korean and Japanese dishes. Might be worth a try.

Seattle has a lot of interesting kinds of Asian food. Vietnamese pho (noodle soup) and banh mi (submarine sandwiches) are cheap, and popular--and you can find them all over. Seattle has developed something we call teriyaki that doesn't so much resemble traditional Japanese teriyaki, but it's also cheap and good--and there's a teriyaki shop in just about every block. Also in every block is a Thai restaurant (no, really--people have suggested that it's a zoning law here or something, that no block can be without one), and a lot of them are REALLY good. Thai food can be hot, but it doesn't have to be--you can usually specify how many stars (go for 1 or 2 unless you like it spicy). There's also a variety of different Chinese regional cuisine (Szechuan, Hunan, Mandarin, Hakka, others), and then there's dim sum--small bites of savory and sweet dishes, usually served for breakfast or brunch, typically by Chinese ladies who bring them around on carts and let you pick out what you want. You have to be a little adventurous--it's not always obvious what you're getting, and the server's English often isn't much better than my Chinese, so they can't tell you--but a dim sum brunch is almost always fun, and very tasty

If any of those sound good, let us know and the locals here can probably suggest our favorite places.

I ate at Beechers a few wks back. It was on Oprahs favorite things. Its an ok place. I think you will find every restaraunt in Seattle has steaks, even the fish places. There are a lot of general family style restaraunts. In the market, Athenian cafe and Lowells come to mind. Both have great views. I think your off to a good start.

was in Seattle a yr or so ago..going on Alaskian cruise in 2013..as far as food you have your pick lots of places to eat at....can't remember the place but it is a hole in wall place across from a best western we ate there great food...23 egg omelet on menu be hungry i guess didn't try that but the other food was good..also a small bar next to a indian staute(chief seattle) was great by space needle sorry cant remember the names.have fun I'm sure somebody here will throw there 10c in

The omelet place sounds like Beth's Cafe. Might surprise DH with that one, if we have a late night need....LOL. I'll watch for the bar. Thank you for sharing!

Bucca di Beppo (campy family style Italian) love it.

We have been to Bucca di Beppo a couple of times, thought it was pretty good. It'll just be 2 of us though, probably more fun with a bigger group to share those mounds of pasta with! Love Pasta! Good idea, thank you.

Beth's is fun, and unique, Top Pots is well thought of. Melting Pot is a middle of the road fondue restaurant, not amazing food, but again, a good time and decent food. Benihana I am not a fan, it is bad Japanese food with a cheesy "show".

Is there a good Teppanyaki place in Seattle?

Check out the spots below.

Metropolitan Grill is one of the best steak restaurants in the country.

http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/

Yummo! Sounds like a very nice place! Hmmm......

Wild Ginger is a great Thai and Satay (meat skewers) restaurant.

http://www.wildginger.net/

Really sounds great! Zooms to the top of the list........

Tulio at the Hotel Vintage Park is great Italian.

http://www.tulio.com/

This sounds great as well!

Thank you for sharing some great options!

I never had the slightest desire to try fondue, but a family member really wanted it so we tried the Melting Pot...and it was awesome. I highly recommend it!

It is something we have wanted to try, also. It just sounds like a fun way to celebrate pre-cruise! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Melting Pot, Benihana...sounds like you like your food to come with a show. LOL...not usually, just looking for some different , fun and memorable meals! Ever tried Korean food? They do this Korean barbecue thing where you have a little gas grill in the middle of your table, and they bring you one or a few kinds of meats, plus veggies and rice and other accompaniments, and you grill your own dinner. Some of the meat options are fishy, or more adventurous choices (beef intestine, anyone?), but there are plenty of more recognizable options, too. There's a place near Seattle Center called Shila that does this kind of food, plus other Korean and Japanese dishes. Might be worth a try.

We actually had Korean a few weeks back for a DS's Birthday. DH has 2 adopted Korean children and he has been to Korea We love Bulgogi. But, yeah, some of it is a bit much for us! What ARE those little branch looking things?....ummm, ferns..okay. Soju is really good stuff too!

Seattle has a lot of interesting kinds of Asian food. Vietnamese pho (noodle soup) and banh mi (submarine sandwiches) are cheap, and popular--and you can find them all over. Seattle has developed something we call teriyaki that doesn't so much resemble traditional Japanese teriyaki, but it's also cheap and good--and there's a teriyaki shop in just about every block. Also in every block is a Thai restaurant (no, really--people have suggested that it's a zoning law here or something, that no block can be without one), and a lot of them are REALLY good. Thai food can be hot, but it doesn't have to be--you can usually specify how many stars (go for 1 or 2 unless you like it spicy). There's also a variety of different Chinese regional cuisine (Szechuan, Hunan, Mandarin, Hakka, others), and then there's dim sum--small bites of savory and sweet dishes, usually served for breakfast or brunch, typically by Chinese ladies who bring them around on carts and let you pick out what you want. You have to be a little adventurous--it's not always obvious what you're getting, and the server's English often isn't much better than my Chinese, so they can't tell you--but a dim sum brunch is almost always fun, and very tasty

If any of those sound good, let us know and the locals here can probably suggest our favorite places.

The teriyaki sounds really good! And I love, love Pad Thai and Sticky Rice with Mango. Good ideas...thank you for sharing them. Good Teriyaki place??

I ate at Beechers a few wks back. It was on Oprahs favorite things. Its an ok place. I think you will find every restaraunt in Seattle has steaks, even the fish places. There are a lot of general family style restaraunts. In the market, Athenian cafe and Lowells come to mind. Both have great views. I think your off to a good start.

DH loves him some Mac n Cheese, soooo we will try this one for sure. I'll go snoop around for some info on Anthenian and Lowell's. Thank you for sharing your suggestions!

The teriyaki sounds really good! And I love, love Pad Thai and Sticky Rice with Mango. Good ideas...thank you for sharing them. Good Teriyaki place??

My favorite is a little place out in Ballard, but you'll probably not get anywhere near it. I don't work downtown so I don't know the teriyaki places in that area--anybody else?

DH loves him some Mac n Cheese, soooo we will try this one for sure. I'll go snoop around for some info on Anthenian and Lowell's. Thank you for sharing your suggestions!

Both the Athenian and Lowell's open by 7 am, so they're great for breakfast. The Market gets crazy crowded in the summer, but a little less so if you go early.

Where are you staying?

With 2 1/2 days you have enough time to explore a little. For cheap/good Asian food at lunch, along with a great shopping experience, I'd recommend the Uwajimaya supermarket/department store in the International District. http://www.uwajimaya.com/locations.html#seattle

The food court in Uwajimaya is great - choose between various Asian stalls - Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese... or (my fave) the Aloha Plates stall for a plate lunch, and don't forget the macaroni salad.

Then tour around the store - play "name that vegetable," and, even though you're not big fish people, the fish section is amazing.

My favorite is a little place out in Ballard, but you'll probably not get anywhere near it. I don't work downtown so I don't know the teriyaki places in that area--anybody else?

Nope, probably won't get that way! We don't want to rent a car...hassle. We plan to use monorail, cabs, etc.... And stick near downtown, the space needle and waterfront for the most part.

Both the Athenian and Lowell's open by 7 am, so they're great for breakfast. The Market gets crazy crowded in the summer, but a little less so if you go early.

Looked these both up, breakfast DOES look really great, too! Early is definitely the operative word here for sure!

Besides the Athenian is where Tom Hanks and Rob Reiner had lunch in Sleepless in Seattle.

Interesting tidbit!

Where are you staying?

We are staying at Holiday Inn Express on Aurora. This is because we want to be able to have a real cigarette inside our room if it's raining without standing on the sidewalk looking like idiots! Unfortunately, we only found 2 hotels that still have smoking rooms in Seattle or we would stay somewhere better.

With 2 1/2 days you have enough time to explore a little. For cheap/good Asian food at lunch, along with a great shopping experience, I'd recommend the Uwajimaya supermarket/department store in the International District. http://www.uwajimaya.com/locations.html#seattle

I'll check for info on this, too....thank you for the suggestion!

The food court in Uwajimaya is great - choose between various Asian stalls - Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese... or (my fave) the Aloha Plates stall for a plate lunch, and don't forget the macaroni salad.

Then tour around the store - play "name that vegetable," and, even though you're not big fish people, the fish section is amazing.

Thank you all for your suggestions and local information !

I haven't found what I would call great teppan in Seattle, but 'd take Mikado Teppanyaki over Benihana's.

I do love the Athenian Inn and Lowell's despite the fact that they are maybe caricatures of the restaurants they once were, they are still reminders of a very different Seattle.

I haven't found what I would call great teppan in Seattle, but 'd take Mikado Teppanyaki over Benihana's.

I'LL LOOK AROUND FOR INFO ON MIKADO, THANKS FOR THE TIP.

I do love the Athenian Inn and Lowell's despite the fact that they are maybe caricatures of the restaurants they once were, they are still reminders of a very different Seattle.

WOULD YOU CARE TO EXPOUND ON THIS? YOU HAVE ME CURIOUS NOW ABOUT "A VERY DIFFERENT SEATTLE".

Thank you for posting!

WOULD YOU CARE TO EXPOUND ON THIS? YOU HAVE ME CURIOUS NOW ABOUT "A VERY DIFFERENT SEATTLE".

Thank you for posting!

Not my post, but I'll offer my own view, which I suspect is in full agreement.

Seattle is historically a very working-class town - timber, shipbuilding, aircraft, fishing, etc. The Pike Market (not "Pike's - it's like calling San Francisco "Frisco") was the core of much of that working class life. The Athenian and Lowell's (and other, now gone) places were the kind of places that served those folks; the Athenian in particular was one of those places where you could get a drink at hours when other places couldn't sell alcohol. (Washington State had terrible "blue laws" regarding booze until the mid 1960s.)

Around 1970 when the Pike Market was scheduled for demolition and replacement with office buildings, the (ultimately successful) struggle to keep the market intact resulted in a shift in both the kind of merchants and the kind of shoppers it attracted. For the most part, the merchants couldn't compete with supermarket chains, so they became more specialized and more up-market in general. The poorest of shoppers went elsewhere, and were eventually replaced by downtown office workers and tourists as the market started offering more dahlias than donuts and more "crafts" than groceries. The second-hand shops on the lower floors were replaced by antique sellers (actually, probably the same merchandise ;) ) and so on.

The views that Lowell's and the Athenian provide, combined with a basically unchanged menu, still attract plenty of customers, but the culture of the entire market has changed. That was inevitable, but those of us old enough to remember the "old" market, i.e., fogies, think of it fondly. Of course Seattle as a whole has changed hugely in the past 30 years, with new industries and a much younger, better educated population. The Pike Market, like the rest of the city, is a far more gentrified thing than it was back then.

Don't hesitate to go there and enjoy it - it's still one of the best public markets in the country, and the Athenian Steak and Eggs is still a great breakfast.

Not my post, but I'll offer my own view, which I suspect is in full agreement.

Seattle is historically a very working-class town - timber, shipbuilding, aircraft, fishing, etc. The Pike Market (not "Pike's - it's like calling San Francisco "Frisco") was the core of much of that working class life. The Athenian and Lowell's (and other, now gone) places were the kind of places that served those folks; the Athenian in particular was one of those places where you could get a drink at hours when other places couldn't sell alcohol. (Washington State had terrible "blue laws" regarding booze until the mid 1960s.)

Around 1970 when the Pike Market was scheduled for demolition and replacement with office buildings, the (ultimately successful) struggle to keep the market intact resulted in a shift in both the kind of merchants and the kind of shoppers it attracted. For the most part, the merchants couldn't compete with supermarket chains, so they became more specialized and more up-market in general. The poorest of shoppers went elsewhere, and were eventually replaced by downtown office workers and tourists as the market started offering more dahlias than donuts and more "crafts" than groceries. The second-hand shops on the lower floors were replaced by antique sellers (actually, probably the same merchandise ;) ) and so on.

The views that Lowell's and the Athenian provide, combined with a basically unchanged menu, still attract plenty of customers, but the culture of the entire market has changed. That was inevitable, but those of us old enough to remember the "old" market, i.e., fogies, think of it fondly. Of course Seattle as a whole has changed hugely in the past 30 years, with new industries and a much younger, better educated population. The Pike Market, like the rest of the city, is a far more gentrified thing than it was back then.

Don't hesitate to go there and enjoy it - it's still one of the best public markets in the country, and the Athenian Steak and Eggs is still a great breakfast.

THANK YOU, GARDYLOO......VERY INTERESTING HISTORY, NICE TO KNOW!

Love this place. I used to work nearby (it is across the street from the Westin hotel on 5th Avenue) and often went there for lunch.

http://www.icongrill.com/

LOOKS REALLY GOOD! THANK YOU FOR SHARING,

Kell's Irish Pub.

Daniels Broiler on Lake Union for steak.

LOVE THE IRISH PUBS! THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING KELL'S!

DANIEL'S BROILER LOOKS QUITE GOOD!

It looks like we'd need a month to try all these places out!

We definitely have our work cut out trying to figure out where to dine!

Thank you to all of you who have posted on this thread, it's great!

We definately veer towards seafood when visiting Seattle (grew up there), but if you are looking for a casual lunch or dinner - I'd really try and find a good teriyaki bowl or a Mongolian BBQ. There is also great mexican food. I don't have any specific places, but this is what I miss the most, along with the seafood! And it may not be the best food & expensive, but the space needle is just a unique place to go. My husband and I got engaged there, so I am a little biased, but it's incredible at sunset! Have fun.

The omelet place sounds like Beth's Cafe. Might surprise DH with that one, if we have a late night need....LOL. I'll watch for the bar. Thank you for sharing!

We have been to Bucca di Beppo a couple of times, thought it was pretty good. It'll just be 2 of us though, probably more fun with a bigger group to share those mounds of pasta with! Love Pasta! Good idea, thank you.

This sounds great as well!

Thank you for sharing some great options!

the place with the omelet's is the Hurricane, the other place is the 5 Place Cafe, also as you can see from others you many choices. again have fun

we definately veer towards seafood when visiting seattle (grew up there), but if you are looking for a casual lunch or dinner - i'd really try and find a good teriyaki bowl or a mongolian bbq. There is also great mexican food. I don't have any specific places, but this is what i miss the most, along with the seafood! And it may not be the best food & expensive, but the space needle is just a unique place to go. My husband and i got engaged there, so i am a little biased, but it's incredible at sunset! Have fun.

we have a mongolian bbq in a nearby city that we really like, good idea! Still pondering the space needle restaurant, not much on the menu we'd really like, just a few choices. Thank you for posting your ideas!

the place with the omelet's is the hurricane, the other place is the 5 place cafe, also as you can see from others you many choices. Again have fun

i looked both of these up, look like they both are options for breakfast, am or late night...lol. Seattle apparently loves giant omelets! Thank you for sharing!

...and the other interesting thing about kell's is that it's said to be very haunted!! :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120147/haunted-irish-pub-sits-site-1900s-seattle-mortuary.html

wow.....now that's interesting, indeed! Sincerely will probably check this place out, even if just for a drink &/or snack. The history is pretty fascinating! Thank you for all your insights, casagorditia!

Yes Gardyloo got it right, Seattle used to be a blue collar town of timber men, fishermen, and shipbuilders who slowly gave way to the airplane builders who grew important during and after WW II, but it was really Microsoft and McCaw (now AT&T) Cellular that helped launch Seattle into the high tech, white collar world and all that comes with it.

I miss The Bon Marché too :)

Top Pot Donuts

The Whisky Bar

Top Pot is to kill for. If you are staying downtown, go to the Icon Grill. Their fried mac and cheese is superlative, as is the rest of their menu. Http:/www.icongrilll.net

Archived