Alaska southbound - Oceanview or Balcony?

jmele999

We have finally decided on an Alaska cruise for 2015. We are travelling with family and they would like to book the cheapest room possible. Here is the itinerary for our cruise.

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon Seward, Alaska (EMBARK) --- 9:00 pm

Tue Hubbard Glacier --- Overnight

Wed Icy Strait Point 9:00 am 5:00 pm

Thu Juneau 7:00 am 1:15 pm

Sawyer Glacier --- Overnight

Fri Skagway 7:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat Ketchikan 1:00 pm 8:00 pm

Sun Cruising the Inside Passage --- Overnight

Mon Vancouver, Canada (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

We are going to be booking a balcony because we would like to be able to enjoy the scenery from our private balcony. My in-laws are trying to decide between an oceanview (big picture window) and a balcony. The difference between the oceanview and the balcony is $1,000 per room. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

We have finally decided on an Alaska cruise for 2015. We are travelling with family and they would like to book the cheapest room possible. Here is the itinerary for our cruise.

Day Port Arrive Depart

We are going to be booking a balcony because we would like to be able to enjoy the scenery from our private balcony. My in-laws are trying to decide between an oceanview (big picture window) and a balcony. The difference between the oceanview and the balcony is $1,000 per room. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

If they are looking to book the cheapest room possible, that would be an inside cabin.

I did the Alaska cruise in an oceanview room many years ago, and I wished I had a balcony cabin.

It's really about choices - and what they are willing to spend for the ability to have their own private outdoor space.

I spent a LOT of time on deck just watching the scenery - and there was always a nice place to sit or stand.

However, it would have been nice to enjoy the quiet beauty of nature from my own balcony.

Personally, if I could afford it, I would DEFINITELY get a balcony cabin on any Alaska cruise.

Edited by DinaS

Day Port Arrive Depart

Thanks.

If they are looking to book the cheapest room possible, that would be an inside cabin.

I did the Alaska cruise in an oceanview room many years ago, and I wished I had a balcony cabin.

It's really about choices - and what they are willing to spend for the ability to have their own private outdoor space.

I spent a LOT of time on deck just watching the scenery - and there was always a nice place to sit or stand.

However, it would have been nice to enjoy the quiet beauty of nature from my own balcony.

Personally, if I could afford it, I would DEFINITELY get a balcony cabin on any Alaska cruise.

I would agree . We have done inside and obstructed Oceanview . Next time we said a balcony cabin for the ability to have privacy when cruising the glaciers.

Going alone, balcony for sure. With that said,many will book OV and even insides to save money. Then be out and about for scenery.

Since you have a balcony, maybe they will be just hanging out there with you some?

With the savings, they can book some great excursions. Seaplane? Helo?

That really is a tough decission, and it really depends on your in-laws' likes and budget. I can share that for us there was nothing like the stillness of being out on a balcony cruising through the inside passage, where it seemed like it was just us, the tranquil waters, and the spectacular scenery. For some, that quiet connection with Alaskan beauty is worth the extra cost; others would be just as happy finding a spot on an open deck.

Oceanview will be the worst choice, IMO. Frustrating and non-satisfying to look out the window. I would do one of two things

1) If money is an issue, have them get an inside room and allow them to share your balcony. My MIL and teen boys had inside rooms and we gave them all the access they wanted to our balcony. It was not very invasive since there are a lot of places to view the scenery.

2) if money isn't a big issue, get a balcony. I spent a good amount of time on mine, and like you expect, just sitting out there and watching Alaska roll by was awe inspiring

IMG_3391-vi.jpg

Oceanview will be the worst choice, IMO. Frustrating and non-satisfying to look out the window. I would do one of two things

1) If money is an issue, have them get an inside room and allow them to share your balcony. My MIL and teen boys had inside rooms and we gave them all the access they wanted to our balcony. It was not very invasive since there are a lot of places to view the scenery.

2) if money isn't a big issue, get a balcony. I spent a good amount of time on mine, and like you expect, just sitting out there and watching Alaska roll by was awe inspiring

IMG_3391-vi.jpg

Thanks SDmike. I was hoping that you were going to reply. I will share this picture with them. Now I need to decide on what side of the ship is better.

I sailed to Alaska in June 2012. When I first booked, I selected an inside stateroom, since my dad was paying and it was the most economical way to do it. Shortly before final payment I was able to upgrade us to an obstructed oceanview GTY at no additional cost due to some price drops. A few weeks before we sailed, we were able to upgrade to a balcony for about $600 additional from what we originally booked at. Keep in mind that I was sailing at the start of the season, so the availability was better, but if they aren't set on a balcony, wait and see what the upgrade options are closer to saildate. Having one is really nice for Alaska due to the never-ending scenery, but you can do a lot of excursions with $1000, and they can always hang out with you on your balcony from time to time.

Sounds like you will be on the Sun. We took that cruise this past summer and loved every minute of it.

We did have a balcony and I enjoyed the time I spent there and I would not personally book an Alaskan Cruise without one. That being said, if money is an issue then there is plenty of room to view the sites if you do not have a balcony.

The Sun has a wonderful Observation Lounge in the front with a deck you can walk out on and easy access to the stairs to get a larger outside viewing area. So dont brake the bank of a balcony if you are trying to cruise on a smaller budget.

No matter what they decide, im sure they will have a wonderful time

Thanks SDmike. I was hoping that you were going to reply. I will share this picture with them. Now I need to decide on what side of the ship is better.

I really can't help you with the side on that itinerary since I don't know exactly what route the ship travels. We were on the starboard side and the view coming south from Skagway was stunning that afternoon and evening (that's the picture). I know you'll pass through there from Skagway to Juneau, but I don't know if the port side is better in other areas. My guess is that it's beautiful everywhere you look and side won't matter much.

My big issue with with an oceanview is that it's like playing halfway to the net in tennis. You are really in a compromised position that doesn't satisfy you either way. They might like glancing out the window, but it's certainly not conducive to enjoying the view for more than a minute or two at a time. It also costs more than an inside. So that's why I said either pay for the view you want, or go as cheap as you can and find your view another way. :) Hope that makes sense. However, it's clearly just my point of view and others will have different opinions.

Edited by sdmike

We're planning out our second Alaska cruise for 2015 and we're thinking the Sun. We're planning on inviting my dad and we're going to do an aft Mini Suite for ourselves so we'll have plenty of space in the room and balcony for hanging out while Dad saves some $$ with an inside. Our first Alaska trip was on the Star and we had a starboard side balcony, but we got hooked on aft balconies after doing one on the Breakaway to Bermuda. You'll have a wonderful time! Alaska is so beautiful and we're really looking forward to returning. :D

Jen

Thank you so much for sharing those balcony pictures. We have booked the Jewel for August and I really thought a balcony was the way to go so that's what we booked despite the price. Glad we did. I prefer the quiet of our own balcony to being up on deck trying to find the right place to sit/stand in order to get the best view.

as always, sdmike is spot on... I'm just adding another vote for the balcony... so amazing.

Sorry - when Mike posts Alaska pics, I feel I must as well. :)

This is a view in Tracy Arm on the way to Sawyer Glacier which is listed on your iten...

Awesome pics! I loved the color of the water in Tracy Arm. When we went the weather was dreadful, but it was still beautiful. Your pics look amazing.

Here's a similar view with far less picturesque weather. :)

IMG_2151-vi.jpg

Balcony, especially that cruise. Alaska...it's all about the scenery.

While I've had fabulous cruises in insides and oceanviews in the Carribbean (the early years!) :D ;), I feel Alaska requires a balcony to easily/fully appreciate the amazing vistas.

Funny story: one of my most treasured cruise experiences was being in the shower and having my husband open the door and say "You have to come out and see this, NOW!" Barefoot, dripping wet in a robe, I was treated to a spontaneous sight of a pod of whales below. We also totally enjoyed the scenery and lived out there during sailing time and our time in Glacier Bay. We enjoyed the ability to easily "pop" in and out of our stateroom, rather than trek down to a public viewing area.

OTOH...take into consideration there are those that aren't "into" scenery and wildlife. I.E., we have friends that didn't enjoy Alaska at all (granted they sailed oceanview). :confused: If your in-laws have similar tastes, perhaps they would be equally happy with an oceanview.

The poster is talking about TWO cabins, so the answer of "balcony" is not so simple.

They can easily get one balcony and one inside. We did that when our kids and Mom sailed with us. (two insides,one balcony) Our balcony cabin was the gathering place with the balcony.

Saved lots of money, some of which we spent taking our own helicopter to land on a glacier.

The answer is very simple. The first cabin had clearly been decided. Balcony. That's it. The poster's question was: What should the in-laws get? Answer: balcony.

Without additional details, by answer is : Inside

If they do not like the in-laws, the answer is : Balcony

If they will be generally hanging out in one cabin, the answer is : Inside

Which is right? No idea.

Edited by garycarla

Alaska is the only cruise I would get a balcony. Been on two Alaskan cruises and had a balcony both times. Since you are within sight of land for much of the cruise and the scenery is so beautiful I think you will be doing yourself a disservice by booking anything less.

Without additional details, by answer is : Inside

If they do not like the in-laws, the answer is : Balcony

If they will be generally hanging out in one cabin, the answer is : Inside

Which is right? No idea.

Agreed. We had 4 people in inside rooms and they spent plenty of time on our balconies. It wasn't an issue, and it saved a bunch of money. We even had keys made for them so they could come and go as they wanted (assuming "do not disturb" was not on, and they knocked. lol)

Edited by sdmike