Bermuda gay friendly?

georgiaguy

Hey!

I will be graduating from grad school and I have decided I want to take a cruise as a graduation present. I used to be a crew member for a cruise line so I know how great cruises are but sadly I have never been on one as a passenger. So I figure this is a great idea. Anyway I live in DC so I am thinking a cruise to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas sounds good and I want to take my boyfriend with me. He is concerned about how gay friendly it is in Bermuda since there are mixed idea online. Any thoughts?

Hey!

I will be graduating from grad school and I have decided I want to take a cruise as a graduation present. I used to be a crew member for a cruise line so I know how great cruises are but sadly I have never been on one as a passenger. So I figure this is a great idea. Anyway I live in DC so I am thinking a cruise to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas sounds good and I want to take my boyfriend with me. He is concerned about how gay friendly it is in Bermuda since there are mixed idea online. Any thoughts?

Bermuda is a great plase to visit, but no gay places or gay friendly places to go. You will be safe there, as long as you don't show open affection in public. If your going on the 9 day out of NJ, you will only be there for one day. The rest of your stops are great place to go. RCCL is very gay friendly. Enjoy

Hey!

Hey there -

My boyfriend (27) and I (25) just booked a trip on the Explorer last week - we'll be sailing May 26 out of Bayonne (which is super easy since i live just a few towns up in Hoboken) - The trip we booked only does Bermuda for 1 day. As much as we wanted to explore this island and see all the great beaches and such - hearing that it wasnt the most gay friendly didnt sit too well. Thats why with our 9-day cruise, we get to go there for a day - then head down to the Caribbean with some other great ports of call! There were great deals for our sailing - it'd be great to know other gays were on board, so you should look into it!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys - For those of you thinking about going to Bermuda on a cruise, I say go for it. I visit Bermuda all the time and just love it!! It doesn't have any gay establishments, buts there's lots of local gays there. Public displays of affection aren't recommended. However, the beauty of the island will amaze you!! I don't think there's any island like it. Once you go to Bermuda and visit her beaches, nothing in the Caribbean will compare.

Have fun!!

I have been many times & last year went w/ my partner on HAL Veendam(skip the Veendam - do celebrity).....

We live in Manhattan - and have never had a problem as 2 men in Bermuda....we dont walk down the street hand in hand etc...but if anyone did notice us they would probably think we were a couple(you become coupled after awhile after being COUPLED for a while).

Go enjoy it....single or coupled it is a wonderful special island.....I lost count the # of times I have been there!!!!

Hey!

Bermuda is not really gay friendly. After seeing the response of the locals to a drag queen who herself was put at the near end of the Bermuda Day parade last year, I was disgusted with the whole island. I've been to Bermuda three times on NCL. There are gay folks who reside there but they are mostly underground and have random bars they jump to with no one bar being all that friendly.

However that being said, I've never had any comments or otherwise directed towards me. I would heed the advice of previous posters about public signs of affection... don't do it. Otherwise, you should have an OK time.

I don't know if the person still works there or not but go to the A.S. Cooper on Front Street in Hamilton. There is a gay man there (no gaydar needed) who works the cash register and tends to the all male store. He can give you information on where to go on what nights and all that. The men's store is right across the street from the ferry terminal just before the bird cage.

Congrats on your graduation! :)

Hey there -

My boyfriend (27) and I (25) just booked a trip on the Explorer last week - we'll be sailing May 26 out of Bayonne (which is super easy since i live just a few towns up in Hoboken) - The trip we booked only does Bermuda for 1 day. As much as we wanted to explore this island and see all the great beaches and such - hearing that it wasnt the most gay friendly didnt sit too well. Thats why with our 9-day cruise, we get to go there for a day - then head down to the Caribbean with some other great ports of call! There were great deals for our sailing - it'd be great to know other gays were on board, so you should look into it!

Hey Moltoitalian,

Let me know how your cruise goes. I've thought of going to Bermuda as well, and my husband and I are your age. If you liked it we'll probably like it too.

My partner and were on the Celebrity Summit for the May 15th sailing to Bermuda. We've now done it 10 times. First time on Summit. The ship was beautiful. The crew were wonderful, especially our cabin stewards. I scraped my dress shoe on the bottom of the door and it left a big scratch. Rolando took my shoes and repaired them as best as he could. They were extra rewarded at the end of the week. Food was very good to excellent. The passengers were definitely an older crowd. I'm 51 and they mostly had me passed by many years!

The Norwegian Gem was docked next to us and I kept saying we should be on that ship. We are loyal NCL'ers. We're booked on the Dawn to Bermuda for 9-9-11.

Bermuda was just as gorgeous as ever. We never tire of the beauty of the island and the beaches. Although there were a lot of Jellyfish in the water, the cute lifeguards kept an eye on them for you and warned swimmers if they got to close.

Paul

My partner & I are looking into the Summit bermuda cruise this year - last year we did Veendam - never again on HAL -

Did you do a review or can you hilight your cruise experiences....

WE also love Bermuda & have been visiting since the 1970's.....

Thanks

My partner and were on the Celebrity Summit for the May 15th sailing to Bermuda. We've now done it 10 times. First time on Summit. The ship was beautiful. The crew were wonderful, especially our cabin stewards. I scraped my dress shoe on the bottom of the door and it left a big scratch. Rolando took my shoes and repaired them as best as he could. They were extra rewarded at the end of the week. Food was very good to excellent. The passengers were definitely an older crowd. I'm 51 and they mostly had me passed by many years!

The Norwegian Gem was docked next to us and I kept saying we should be on that ship. We are loyal NCL'ers. We're booked on the Dawn to Bermuda for 9-9-11.

Bermuda was just as gorgeous as ever. We never tire of the beauty of the island and the beaches. Although there were a lot of Jellyfish in the water, the cute lifeguards kept an eye on them for you and warned swimmers if they got to close.

Paul

My partner and I did a B2B last year, with the first leg a 7-day Bermuda cruise (I proposed to him on our sail out of Bermuda ;)). We don't suck face in public (and don't care to see hetro couples either)...although we don't stay 6 inches apart from each other either.

Never felt any weird vibes from the Bermuda residents or tourists. We jet-skiid, took the ferry everywhere, toured, swam, did the caves, etc and never had a problem. Although we're cautious, don't wear that cloak of doom either, looking for negativity or attitude.

Congrats on completing grad school. When you get to Bermuda, make sure you hit the Swizzle Inn. They have great Rum Swizzles and Dark and Stormys there. Yum!

Archived