Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old September 16th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazu View Post
It is not a sleeping pill and is not contraindicative with other things. It simply works on the metabolism as I understand it. it doesn't make you sleepy nor does it keep you awake.

My husband found nothing in it to interfere with other medications and/or sleeping aids. We're pretty careful but anything we take

Thank you! Think we will try it on our upcoming flight to Barcelona.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile jet lag and drinking on flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom42 View Post
I'm not sure there is really any way to prevent jet lag. The best one can do is figure out what works for you in dealing with the results.

I've tried the melatonin, but since I'm a healthy skeptic of such things, it didn't seem to do anything for me.

I don't find jet lag a big problem on most of my trips (East coast US to Europe) as long as I can sleep a little on the plane and then keep going the next day until evening. Going to Asia is more challenging; hard to avoid waking up really early for a few days until your internal clock re-sets itself.

I'm curious why several people have said to avoid alcohol completely. Obviously I'm not talking about going on a bender, but I can't imagine having a glass or wine or two with one's in-flight meal is going to make any difference.
I don't know if it does or doesn't, but when I start my vacation, I start being in vacation mode and that includes a glass or 2 of wine on the plane. I don't plan on doing a test to determine if it's better with or without alcohol

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom42 View Post
I'm not sure there is really any way to prevent jet lag. The best one can do is figure out what works for you in dealing with the results.

I've tried the melatonin, but since I'm a healthy skeptic of such things, it didn't seem to do anything for me.

I don't find jet lag a big problem on most of my trips (East coast US to Europe) as long as I can sleep a little on the plane and then keep going the next day until evening. Going to Asia is more challenging; hard to avoid waking up really early for a few days until your internal clock re-sets itself.

I'm curious why several people have said to avoid alcohol completely. Obviously I'm not talking about going on a bender, but I can't imagine having a glass or wine or two with one's in-flight meal is going to make any difference.
I'm sort of like you. I'll have maybe one or two glasses of wine at the beginning of the flight (like with dinner), then only water after that for rest of the flight.

Lots of references on the internet about avoiding alcohol totally, but then you get a post on this thread from a flight attendant (who obviously has LOTS of flying experience) who also subscribes to the one or two drink philosophy.

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2002 View Post
I'm sort of like you. I'll have maybe one or two glasses of wine at the beginning of the flight (like with dinner), then only water after that for rest of the flight.

Lots of references on the internet about avoiding alcohol totally, but then you get a post on this thread from a flight attendant (who obviously has LOTS of flying experience) who also subscribes to the one or two drink philosophy.
Another vote for wine with dinner then either water or juice.