Upcoming Cruises on RSVP - Future??

absolutboy20

I was on the Caribbean cruise this year and loved the experience of RSVP, and we were willing to re-book on board for 2013 but the itinerary was not very appealing to us. In the past, the Caribbean cruise from what the alumni have told me is that it normally sells out months in advance, but this year it sold out only a few weeks prior to sailing. The upcoming Med cruise looks like it's also a hard sell with the 2-1 pricing that they are offering on airfare. My personal feeling (I hope I'm wrong) is that the 2013 Caribbean is also not going to be the biggest draw not because of the experience on board, but the itinerary. I'm curious as to whether anyone is concerned that Rich just may consolidate the two companies in the future?

I think RSVP has a great product, but I think they are missing the itineraries that appeal to a boarder audience. Atlantis seems to be selecting the ships/ports that more people are attracted to IMHO. Two examples are the recently opened up New Zealand/Australia cruise that sold out after a month after going public, and the upcoming Med cruise.

I like the idea of two companies, albeit I prefer two different owners, but it would be a shame if there were only one company going forward.

Rich has said that the companies will be separately run with different styles, but who knows what may happen. I hope they do not become.

Atlantis has a much larger customer base than RSVP and can offer a bigger variety of cruises.

From what I have heard RSVP's Mardi Gras cruises have been popular before so time will tell if it is successful. I like the itinerary - it goes to three of my favorite places. Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale have a bit of a limited number of ports it can go to. RSVP has mixed it up over the last couple of years to keep it different but it is tough to please everyone: some think the new ports are great while may wish to rather go back to the usual familiar ports.

I cruise the caribbean on traditional cruises. As long as the ship floats and I have a place to sleep and eat, I can care less where the ship goes as long as im on it.. It can do circles for 7 days and i will still be happy.

In the past, the Caribbean cruise from what the alumni have told me is that it normally sells out months in advance, but this year it sold out only a few weeks prior to sailing.

This year's cruise did NOT sell out. If you've still got your cruise log, check the numbers.

Based on the last time RSVP did a Mardi Gras cruise, it should sell out quickly(2003). Keep in mind the economy is much softer than it was in 03. It has everything the gay cruiser looks for. Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday. Gay Key West. A day at HMC.

Typhoon, we're talking about two different terms. According to RSVP's information on their website, the cruise was sold out. But if you're talking about sailing at "capacity", then it was not at capacity.

I actually don't think that any of these charters would sail at capacity. I'm assuming that at capacity would mean that every room is sailing with double occupancy, but with the entertainers they bring on board, I would imagine they would not be sharing rooms. (I couldn't picture Amy and Freddy in the same room). Plus there are people who pay the single supplement to have their own room. I think the key of not hitting capacity or going over capacity is that there are no children on these cruises. I've read that Disney cruises tend to go out at 150% of capacity!!

Typhoon, we're talking about two different terms. According to RSVP's information on their website, the cruise was sold out. But if you're talking about sailing at "capacity", then it was not at capacity.

I actually don't think that any of these charters would sail at capacity. I'm assuming that at capacity would mean that every room is sailing with double occupancy, but with the entertainers they bring on board, I would imagine they would not be sharing rooms. (I couldn't picture Amy and Freddy in the same room). Plus there are people who pay the single supplement to have their own room. I think the key of not hitting capacity or going over capacity is that there are no children on these cruises. I've read that Disney cruises tend to go out at 150% of capacity!!

On the flip side, there are many that will have more than 2 in a room. How often do ships actually sail at full capacity (i.e. the absolute maximum). Just before the February cruise my TA told me there were still about 10 cabins left but IIRC correctly he told be onboard that all cabins were occupied.

It is interesting to see how there is a full occupancy vs maximum load. When I read the Disney Dream was sailing at 150% capacity which helped in boosting Q3 earnings, I had to look at what that physically meant passenger number wise. That cruise is considered at occupancy at 2800, but maximum is 4000. With the ship sailing at an average of 3800-3900 capacity, I would imagine it being difficult finding lounge chairs... I don't mind crowds and would love to sail the Allure or Oasis once, but if the Allure were sailing at 150% I think I would have to pass.

Archived