What to pack?

mamichelle

Keep in mind this is a list of "suggested" items. Don't feel like you have to take EVERYTHING on the list. You probably won't need or use 3/4 of the stuff on that list. It's easy to over pack, especially if you're a first-time cruiser. And if you're flying to the port city, you'll need to keep in mind that you'll be charged extra if your bag weighs more than 50 lbs., and that most airlines charge $25.00 per checked bag. The trick is to keep your packing to a minimum and only take what you need. Leave the "what if" stuff at home.

Next time my husband says I bring too much on a cruise - I'm showing him that list :eek: It would add another suitcase!

I brought a lot of that stuff on our first cruise, don't anymore. Used the over the door shoe holder in the bathroom on our first cruise. It did help with 3 of us in the cabin using that tiny bathroom. Now we book larger cabins with larger bathrooms and it's just 2 of us now so it's not needed. I once took small laundry packets with me because there were laundry facilities on board. My husband informed me that we were on vacation and that meant I wasn't to be doing laundry. Now we just buy an unlimited laundry package and go home with all clean clothes.

Before you pack a lot of "stuff" - think about how much you'll use it and if it's really necessary. Remember to leave room in your suitcases for the treasures you'll want to bring home. We have a simple way to tell if we're overweight on the luggage....if I can pick up the suitcase, we're not overweight.

I agree with the other posters. You won't need 75% of the stuff on those lists. The more I cruise the less I bring. I've got an entire bag full of all that stuff I brought on my first cruise. Remember the Cruise Critic adage: Bring half the clothes and twice the money!

Have a lovely cruise!

Now we just buy an unlimited laundry package and go home with all clean clothes.

Do all cruise lines offer this sort of package?? We are going on the Coral Princess in Nov to the Panama Canal. It's an 11 day trip and it will be our family of four. Knowing that this is available would be really helpful when deciding how much to bring!

Thanks..

You could call Princess and ask if they have the package and how much it costs.

When we went to Alaska last summer, we spent 2 days in Vancouver first, so I sent laundry out as soon as we boarded the ship. It really helped to cut down on how much we needed to pack being there were more jeans, sweaters, vests etc. Not a usual cruise where you have shorts and light weight summer tops.

Do all cruise lines offer this sort of package?? We are going on the Coral Princess in Nov to the Panama Canal. It's an 11 day trip and it will be our family of four. Knowing that this is available would be really helpful when deciding how much to bring!

Thanks..

I know many of Princess ships have washers/dryers , which might be handy for a 11 day trip, we used them once or twice

On our last 10 day cruise we took clothes for 5 days. One medium sized suit case and one carry-on suit case. Suites on Princess get free laundry. Check the ship's floor layout in CC to see if it has a laundry room on it that will have washers, dryers, detergent machines and irons. Most do, but not on all floors. On our upcoming 12 day Eastern Med cruise we will take 2 medium sized suit cases and one carry-on with clothes for 7 days. One of the day changes will be in the carry-on. We will likely have laundry done 2 times. As others have said, put it all out on the bed when packing and then put half of it back. We started out with 2 trunk steamers for a 7 day cruise and only used 60% of it. Also think of how much weight you will be toting around before and after the ship.

CorL Has laundrys on

Deck 5 Plaza Deck

Deck 8 Emerald Deck

Deck 9 Dorphin Deck

Deck 10 Caribe Deck

Deck 11 Baja Deck

Deck 12 Aloha Deck

So all decks with Cabins on the Laundrys are situated in the Aft section.

Rae :)

Going on Coral April

Keep in mind this is a list of "suggested" items. Don't feel like you have to take EVERYTHING on the list. You probably won't need or use 3/4 of the stuff on that list. It's easy to over pack, especially if you're a first-time cruiser. And if you're flying to the port city, you'll need to keep in mind that you'll be charged extra if your bag weighs more than 50 lbs., and that most airlines charge $25.00 per checked bag. The trick is to keep your packing to a minimum and only take what you need. Leave the "what if" stuff at home.

Airlines charge $25 for the first bag. They charge more for a second bag.

I agree wholeheartedly that many of the suggestions on the packing lists in these forums are not necessary. I never take a clock or overdoor organizer.

However, this next cruise we are going to take small LED flashlights.

Unless you are going straight from the airport via taxi to the port, leave all of those heavy liquids at home (shampoo, mouthwash, anti-cavity, hand lotion, suntan lotion, etc.). You will save about five pounds per person and any potential difficulties with TSA.

Stop at a store near the port and purchase what liquids you need. If your cruise line permits, pick up your favorite beverages too. Note that cruise ships don't have luggage weight limits like the airlines.

The weight you save can be replaced by some souvenirs on your trip home.

I highly recommend investing in an electronic luggage scale to save any "overweight" luggage fees.

When you're ready to pack, make a list of exactly what you're bringing. Keep that list, and when you get home after the trip, check off what you used, what you didn't, and add what you wish you had brought. Next trip, you'll have your list ready to go!

After four cruises and five land vacations, I have my list pretty well carved in stone!

Umm' date=' what is Downey Wrinkle Release? Can it be purchased in Australia.....[/quote']

Downey wrinkle Release is a OIA product (Only in America:rolleyes:)

It is sprayed on clothes to get rid of wrinkles (Pity it dosen't work on faces)

You can get some home made recipes at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf201154.tip.html

Rae

Ps Hope you are Dry.

Downey wrinkle Release is a OIA product (Only in America:rolleyes:)

It is sprayed on clothes to get rid of wrinkles (Pity it dosen't work on faces)

You can get some home made recipes at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf201154.tip.html

Rae

Ps Hope you are Dry.

I will check out the home-made recipe site, but might also go online in Aussie and see what I can find which is similar. Pity it doesn't work on your face......or I might be buying it by the truckload.

We have had some pretty awful weather last few days and our street looks like a tree shredder has gone through. Great time for collecting mulch though.

Our little township currently has a lot of "refugees" - people who are unable to travel down highway due to flooded road closures. But, the clouds are finally lifting. Yippee

We are pretty wet on south coast too. After last nights horror did you see photos of Kiama. My mum was without power from 3am to 4pm she is nearly 80 and got up to go to loo and splashed her way down Hall. Water had come in chimney. We have had a lovely sunny day ending in lightening storm and raining again.

Rae

We are pretty wet on south coast too. After last nights horror did you see photos of Kiama. My mum was without power from 3am to 4pm she is nearly 80 and got up to go to loo and splashed her way down Hall. Water had come in chimney. We have had a lovely sunny day ending in lightening storm and raining again.

Rae

Yes, saw it on tonight's news. Unbelievable damage. They are saying that it was a mini tornado did all the extreme damage. Some homes untouched and others were almost disintegrated. It would have been terrifying to experience those extreme conditions. I feel for your Mum..... very unsettling indeed. Now we hopefully can all dry out and clean up.

Archived