Never too old!

Musicus

I would love to have a prayer chain for my cousin who was involved in a serious biking accident in Florida on Wednesday. He was training for an upcoming triathalon. He is in a medical-induced coma, has serious cracks of the spine, a collapsed lung, laceration to the neck, fractured ribs and is in critical condition. A dump truck pulled out in front of him and he collided head-on into the truck. He is 32 years old. Thank you all.

Pat

What an awful thing to happen to Stephen. I hope that the truck was cited for negligence so that he can have the truck's insurance company pay for the care he is going to need. It sounds like he will need a lot of rehab when he gets healthy enough to leave the hospital, which I will pray will happen.

How's Steve doing today, Pat?

Karen

This is the latest update from his brother Jesse:

No change again today. No medical BS tonight, just this.........."If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person." -Fred Rogers. Till tomorrow. -Jesse.

Thanks so much for caring Karen. Much appreciated.

Steve has the following: FX orbit left top and bottom, FX facial bone, FX intracranial, chip FX in thoracid spine not interfering with spinal column, 3 FX ribs, puntured lung, in medically induced coma, intubated, feed tube, drains in brain. Has not opened eyes since last Wednesday morning. Keep praying as hard as you can.

Edited by yellowbird23

Holy cow Pat, when you put it all down on paper like that, it really sounds awful, what all he's battling!! But...remember he's very young, and as a triathalon athlete must have been very fit and healthy, the odds are so very much on his side. I mean, look at what all Egon has done/fought and he's well more than twice Steve's age...the human body and spirit are amazing. We'll all keep praying for him, but I hope your family keeps the faith. When my cousin had been in a horrible car accident and had severe brain trauma, we all talked to her constantly, played her favorite music, told her jokes, everything, and to this day I'm convinced she 'heard' us and knew we were there, and that it made a difference. We'll keep pumpin' out them prayers for both Steve and all of your family!

Karen

Thank you all so much for the caring.

On the other hand, Egon is still sending me lots and lots of e-mails and funny, pretty and interesting stuff. I sure hope he mends enough to be able to continue to do what he has set out to do in the first place. Only time will tell and I am quite sure he hasn't given up.

Finally! I am taking a short cruise Oct 1. It's to the Bahamas, but what the heck...it's a cruise!! I love Coco Cay. Hopefully, the weather will be good. If not, I'm still on a ship!

Yea Pat! You certainly deserve to get away after the year you've had. Going solo? Any update today on Steve?

Karen

Yea Pat! You certainly deserve to get away after the year you've had. Going solo? Any update today on Steve?

Karen

Prayers are working!!!

Lucky number seven.

Well, well, well guess who had a huge step forward today? Ventilator tube was removed this afternoon and totally removed from sedation. Big surprise for everyone! Steve is now following some very basic commands, albeit very slowly. Not able to speak yet and still some left side deficit. Very confused at this point, but he's "in there way down deep" and "gets it" you can see it in his eye. The journey is still not complete and we have a LONG way to go. Be prepared for setbacks, but each day is a new milestone. Still no visitors outside of the current "core" group, you know who you are. We will let everyone know when he is moved out of critical care. "That's the power of love..."_Huey Lewis.

OUT. -Jesse

I was talking and e-mailing back and forth to Egon up until midnight last night. I told him he should go to bed. I won't say what he responded with....as I stated, he's ornery.

On another note Steve is out of his coma and off sedation. He recognized his brother but he was confused at times. So...it seems he is on the mend, but a long way to go as he has to probably have eye surgery to fix the fracture on the left side of his face.